• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm seriously tired of Nintendo (rant)

Dampf

I had a dream last night. I was participating in some sort of tournament about crafting some stuff hosted by the Kit and Krysta from Nintendo Minute. After some time I had enough of the BS and straight up yelled, "why are you just not giving people what they want, GAMES"

I believe this was a deep insight in my relationship with Nintendo right now. Nintendo milks their IPs like crazy, Lego Mario, AR Mario Kart, now that direct with the theme park, a ton of unnecessary tournaments and a lot more I'm forgetting. And of course all that copyright strikes do not leave Nintendo in a good light either.

But what everyone of course, really wants from them is games. What did we get in the second half of 2020? A Pikmin 3 Port, ROM dumps and a Hyrule Warriors, basically all super low effort and low budget stuff. They did that WHILE investing a ton in toys and I'm seriously tired of this direction. Games should always come first. When was the last time we had a full general direct, fans were begging for mind you? That was more than a year ago.

Now that theme park direct and again, the absence from them at the TGA (Smash is sooo milked right now and I couldn't care less) is the last middlefinger from them to the fanbase this year. Hopefully.

Seriously, I'm so tired of Nintendo. If BOTW2, Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 weren't in development right now, it would be a lot worse than the WiiU era and that says a lot. Atleast Iwata, Reggie and Miyamoto were sympathic faces of the company and made a ton of wholesome jokes, it was always a joy watching the directs even though game announcements sucked. But now? That Nintendo doesn't exist anymore.

Kerotan

Because their fans will keep buying remakes and ports over and over again. And at full price too even if its years old. Meanwhile years later Sony and MS are selling their games for $10. I'm just glad I'm not a Nintendo fan. Especially one with just a switch but I suspect there aren't many with just that console alone out there.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I feel like I must live in some alternative universe, I loaded of Pokemon sword or Fire Emblem 3 houses and think its some low budget PS2 era title, the animations are just jank and robotic and the whole game just feels cheap, how do they get so much praise when they are just the exact same games?

I mean compare to Mario Odessey, Lugi's Mansion or Mario Kart 8? Why are those so slick when the more adult games feel so jank?

Why when we gave a turn based title like fire emblem do the combat animations not look like...

Nintendo just seems to cheap out recently and get away with it, just because you have a weaker console does not mean you can't produce stunning stylised visuals, its just so weird.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I had a dream last night. I was participating in some sort of tournament about crafting some stuff hosted by the Kit and Krysta from Nintendo Minute. After some time I had enough of the BS and straight up yelled, "why are you just not giving people what they want, GAMES"

I believe this was a deep insight in my relationship with Nintendo right now.
tenor.gif

I read everything and this is not a rant, but a troll thread (but you have a point, of course), but this...

Nintendo of América is just a PR branch for NCL. Minoru Arakawa was the last good president of NoA. All the others were just marketing guys doing their marketing job.

Meanwhile years later Sony and MS are selling their games for $10.
I mean, if Sony had games still selling and being talked years later, they would keep their prices "high" too. It's not Nintendo's fault if you can experience the Sony 1st party through YouTube.

And is very weird to see people complaining about crunch/acquisitions/closures but waiting for a game being devaluated to buy it.

Successful Nintendo is the worst Nintendo.

There is some truth here. Also, Master Malstrom talked about this a lot.

Last edited:
I expected their output to be much higher once they consolidated their divisions. Being hopeful, I assume they’re sitting on a bunch of games to release at will.

Kerotan

I mean, if Sony had games still selling and being talked years later, they would keep their prices "high" too. It's not Nintendo's fault if you can experience the Sony 1st party through YouTube.

And is very weird to see people complaining about crunch/acquisitions/closures but waiting for a game being devaluated to buy it.

There is some truth here. Also, Master Malstrom talked about this a lot.
Here's the catch though. This gen when Sony first party titles were smashing their records god of war, Spiderman etc, they still gave a generous sale 2 months after launch and within 12 months they could be got for under $20 on sale. It's just insane how good value playstation offers for full game purchases. Sony could be greedy and keep the prices high because those games sell at high prices.

It's just incredible Nintendo release the same games over and over again yet their fans lap it up. I'm not surprised they're getting tired of it but at least most of them have a PlayStation or pc to keep them going between the long droughts.

I agree completely with you OP on them milking Smash to death. I really wish Nintendo would think about the wealth of other games that they have and spend some time on them instead of just doing enough to get by. Even their Nintendo Online games are just drip fed...which of course leads to fans that are rabid to the point of anything being released excites them. Here's to 2021...maybe we will see more from Nintendo...but then again it will probably be just more of the same.

S73v3

Banned
I've had more fun playing and watching my Mario game and watch than my entire time with the switch

Oh man you hear that Nintendo? “you could be selling your games at $10 instead of $60!” Yeah I’m sure they would love that. /s
People like to pay less for things. This is human nature.
But it is absurd to pretend to not understant Nintendo here (note: understand is not the same as to agree with them)

Animal Crossing sold almost 30 million at full price. Uncharted 4 won't ever be close of this at U$ 10. You don't need to be super smart to understand why Nintendo keep their prices full.

Mr Hyde

I'm the other way around. My love for Nintendo has been rekindled because of the Switch being so great, after having dissed them for two generations straight due to uninteresting hardware. There are so many good games I've missed since then so every release is a basically a new one for me.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Agreed 100% with the original post and I say this as someone who joined this forum when he was a Nintendo head first.

Then I became a playstation head, Xbox head and now I'm PC.

It has been a very very bad year for Nintendo. But I do think it will be better next year.

I don't consider the Switch to be a waste of money but I am overall disappointed in the content. Since the new president took over after the interim one it's been bad.

I can't excuse the full price ports. It's very bad practice.

People say people buy them so why change?

I mean yes... For the big games but
Pikmin 3 sold poorly enough, Bayonetta 2 sold poorly. These games needed a price cut at the beginning.

I don't see myself getting the next Nintendo system and to be honest and I think unless things improve I suggest we could have another WiiU situation because this is exactly how Nintendo were after the Wii.

The last 2 years of the Wii were rough.

Let's see how they move forward but I'm not falling for the " great games for 2 years and then filler" approach again.

Here's the catch though. This gen when Sony first party titles were smashing their records
3 of 5 best selling PS4 games aren't exclusives, including the 1.
God of War sold what, 12 million until 2019. Sony was "smashing" their records, not industry records.

Sony 1st party have a very low ceiling and are most games for the moment, not a game that will be remembered (and played) years later. Because of that that their games are cheap, they don't appeal the masses, so your demand is cut short mere months after the launch.

Lunarorbit

Here's the catch though. This gen when Sony first party titles were smashing their records god of war, Spiderman etc, they still gave a generous sale 2 months after launch and within 12 months they could be got for under $20 on sale. It's just insane how good value playstation offers for full game purchases. Sony could be greedy and keep the prices high because those games sell at high prices.

It's just incredible Nintendo release the same games over and over again yet their fans lap it up. I'm not surprised they're getting tired of it but at least most of them have a PlayStation or pc to keep them going between the long droughts.
Nintendo some how can be the most innovative and stubborn company at the same time.

Hardware they take risks. Software they like to milk. I thought I'd give pokemon shield a try and I was not a fan. It's still baby's first Rpg with the most basic combat system. But it's a craze so why iterate on that. Pokemon go was made by ninatic too.

Year 4 of the switch is coming up and their online presence is pathetic. Personally I think the eshop is a pain to navigate.

Instead of porting links awakening how about you make a 2d version of a new story? Same with metroid; don't port a Gameboy game that was already ported by fans that you took down. Where's donkey Kong or kid icarus?

Oh Nintendo likes to beat to their own drum. Oh their games are evergreen, they don't need to do a discount. Shut the fuck up

bxrz

No point in complaining since they monopolized the handheld scene and people are still running out to buy that potato of a console

mcjmetroid

The good news is that the Switch Emulator appears to be coming along quite nicely.

It's not quite there yet I'm afraid. Also is a little annoying that they only seem to comment on their early access version.

Cemu however has had more time but is the best emulator I've ever used once you figure it out.

Since 40% of Nintendo's first party games are wiiu ports it's fantastic.

geordiemp

I believe this was a deep insight in my relationship with Nintendo right now. Nintendo milks their IPs like crazy, Lego Mario, AR Mario Kart, now that direct with the theme park, a ton of unnecessary tournaments and a lot more I'm forgetting. And of course all that copyright strikes do not leave Nintendo in a good light either.

But what everyone of course, really wants from them is games. What did we get in the second half of 2020? A Pikmin 3 Port, ROM dumps and a Hyrule Warriors, basically all super low effort and low budget stuff. They did that WHILE investing a ton in toys and I'm seriously tired of this direction. Games should always come first. When was the last time we had a full general direct, fans were begging for mind you? That was more than a year ago.

Now that theme park direct and again, the absence from them at the TGA (Smash is sooo milked right now and I couldn't care less) is the last middlefinger from them to the fanbase this year. Hopefully.

Seriously, I'm so tired of Nintendo. If BOTW2, Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 weren't in development right now, it would be a lot worse than the WiiU era and that says a lot. Atleast Iwata, Reggie and Miyamoto were sympathic faces of the company and made a ton of wholesome jokes, it was always a joy watching the directs even though game announcements sucked. But now? That Nintendo doesn't exist anymore.

Switch and its software still sells well so Nintendo will milk for Nintendo like profits, water is wet and sky is blue.

mcjmetroid

Honestly, it seems the top old talent @ nintendo are all doing toy/merch/nostalgia passion projects and are on the way out to retirement.

If you dislike current nintendo, I can't see it getting any better.
See with Super Mario Odyssey they often commented that it was a younger team making the game.

I think you can see it with some fresh ideas not normally seen in a mario game.

So now I don't think the talent is the issue at all. I think it's a management and budget issue for their games.

A their IPs should look like serious effort has been put into them.

I can seriously say the only switch games that have that sort of effort are.

Mario odyssey, breath of the wild,Luigi's mansion 3.

I would say Fire emblem 3 horses as well but the graphics unfortunately should have been tuned up.

I would put Mario and Rabbids there too but it's not Nintendo developed.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
They get away with rehashing lots of their kiddy games and funny thing "game reviewers" still give a free pass and score those games high. Tbh I would abuse such privileges just like Ninty if I had them.

SenkiDala

I've started video games with Nintendo, about 27 years ago. I love most of their franchises outside Pokémon and Animal Crossing. Recently I've figured out that Nintendo became insignificant to me. If they're around or not won't change my gaming life since 99,99% of the games I enjoy are on other systems.

And yeah successful Nintendo is horrible. They're doing the strict minimum. Don't care at all about the fans, the games.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned

BECAUSE THEIR SALES SLOWED DOWN, NOT BECAUSE THEY'RE GENEROUS LOL. STOP ROMANTICIZING THE SALES TACTICS. IT'S CRINGE AF.

The graphics appeal would wear down fast especially when the next one comes out. so they need to rake in the sales as much as possible. Not for gameplay focused Nintendo though.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's not quite there yet I'm afraid. Also is a little annoying that they only seem to comment on their early access version.

Cemu however has had more time but is the best emulator I've ever used once you figure it out.

Since 40% of Nintendo's first party games are wiiu ports it's fantastic.
Yes, Cemu is outstanding and is head and shoulders the best way to play Breath of the Wild. If you have a system that can handle it. I played it in 4K/60 fps and removed the weapon breaking. No apologies. Had much more fun that way.

Im tired of Nintendo having a whoefully underpowered machine. I want a $500 console that can play their games in 4K 60 fps.

Well you would need for them to make games that target and take advantage of 4k. That would increase their development costs substantially and I think they'd rather keep making upscaled gamecube looking games.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Im tired of Nintendo having a whoefully underpowered machine. I want a $500 console that can play their games in 4K 60 fps.

What's the point with Nintendo's current games output? The Switch is such a disappointment software wise compared to the Wii and even the Wii U. The Wii U was an utter sales failure but I own two times more Wii U games than Switch games. But compared to the Wii the Switch is a piece of shit.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well you would need for them to make games that target and take advantage of 4k. That would increase their development costs substantially and I think they'd rather keep making upscaled gamecube looking games.
Im fine with that. Take the games with the art style and effects they have run them at 4K 60 fps. It could probably be done easily with XSS level power.

Nintendo sees itself as the Disney of video games. Just like Disney is very protective of Mickey Mouse Nintendo is protective of Mario, and just like Disney likes to extend the Mickey Mouse brand in other ventures for global outreach, Nintendo does the same with Mario and its other IP’s.

Ogbert

What's so weird about all you Sony Ponies that can't handle the success of the Switch, is that the machine is an absolutely perfect successor to the Vita.

All the best indies are there and run perfectly. On top of that, you get great Nintendo first party titles and then great older games, like Diablo 3 or Borderlands, which you can now play to your hearts content in handheld.

Ignore the dumb shit like Animal Crossing.

Hades, for example, is one of the games of the year. How you clowns can't release that having that in handheld is fucking awesome is beyond me.

If the Switch was branded with a Sony emblem you'd be sleeping with it under your pillow.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What's the point with Nintendo's current games output? The Switch is such a disappointment software wise compared to the Wii and even the Wii U. The Wii U was an utter sales failure but I own two times more Wii U games than Switch games. But compared to the Wii the Switch is a piece of shit.
Because I want the games in 4K. As is, they are blocky jaggy mess on my OLED. I dont have a Switch, but I inherited a Wii U. Games look awful. Cemu on the otherhand.....wow!

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
Because their fans will keep buying remakes and ports over and over again. And at full price too even if its years old. Meanwhile years later Sony and MS are selling their games for $10. I'm just glad I'm not a Nintendo fan. Especially one with just a switch but I suspect there aren't many with just that console alone out there.
This. Nintendo gets away with everything they do because their fanbase enables them.
If I was an executive at Nintendo I would not improve either.

Top Bottom