• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm playing Red Dead Redemption 2

I’m at 53% and just fired it back up again. I love the game but I’ve been taking as much time in between playing as possible. I know I won’t get another great Rockstar game for a while so I try to take my time finishing them.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I'm about an hour in and quit out. The game didn't even give me an opportunity to save. In that time the gameplay probably consisted of 10-15% and the rest of the time was dialog/story exposition.

Don't really know if I have time for it - I'll give the online a go with friends, maybe the gameplay is front and centre in that mode.
It sounds like this game isn’t for you. The intro is long but after that it opens up.

Multiplayer is not where your attention should be.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Your not bored yet? What a miracle. A beautiful but boring game. I put it down after several hours. But I hope you enjoy it 😊

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

giphy.gif
Still a better pick than rdr2, although it could still be debatable with other titles such as BotW or Bloodborne.

Jon Neu

Banned
Still a better pick than rdr2

Not really.

RDR2 it's a masterpiece, a game that pushes the medium. Nier at best it's good, if you can put up with the visually insipid graphics, the camera, the nothing to write about it gameplay and the overall feeling that you are playing a half made game with some good ideas.

To me it turned out to be a disappointing sequel. The gunplay bits weren't tight and engaging as the ones in RDR 2010. The writing got me bored, especially with dumbass dutch vanderlinde sounding like a broken record with his "Ive got a plan" malarkey. The visuals in RDR 2 are something else though, seriously stunning looking open world visuals and sound design. But the game wasn't engaging for me :( I had to force myself to finish the game, something that I've done only to a few games.

D3SCHA1N

My favorite game of the gen so far, a bit of slow pace doesn't bother me none. I recognize the game isn't without it's flaws, but to me the good far outweighs the bad, and with the roles, the MP has become much more enjoyable than it was in the earlier days.

Not really.

RDR2 it's a masterpiece, a game that pushes the medium. Nier at best it's good, if you can put up with the visually insipid graphics, the camera, the nothing to write about it gameplay and the overall feeling that you are playing a half made game with some good ideas.
It doesn't push anything. It has stellar production values but as an actual game, it's archaic. The dreadful controls, the input lag, killing you when you stray an inch from the linear mission path (such realism!), shooting mechanics straight out of 2008, etc, etc.

mcjmetroid

Everything about it that's a game makes it a shitshow.

No doubt a lot of effort went into it but the fundamentals are not great.

Control lag,
bad mission design,
bad aim controls,

Too realistic and frustrating with its systems.
If people think the weapon durability is bad in Breath of the Wild and don't see anything like that here then I don't know what to say.
I think history will be very unkind to this one.

I never finished it. Also last Rockstar game, I just don't enjoy them.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
It doesn't push anything. It has stellar production values but as an actual game, it's archaic. The dreadful controls, the input lag, killing you when you stray an inch from the linear mission path (such realism!), shooting mechanics straight out of 2008, etc, etc.

It has production values never seen in a videogame. The sheer amount of detail it's just groundbreaking and never seen before. That's already pushing the medium forward.

I loved it, easily one of the best games this generation.
However as a few others have mentioned the mission design needs a proper revamp for whatever game they make next.

Rockstar make awesomely bad games. I can have a jet bike in gta, but if I fall off a push bike without a helmet, it often results in Wasted. Tf?

Fun vs realism is not a balance RS have mastered.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It has production values never seen in a videogame. The sheer amount of detail it's just groundbreaking and never seen before. That's already pushing the medium forward.
thanks the gigantic budget\1000+ workforce and 8-9 years dev time for that.
how many games do you know with similar traits? i answer for you, no one.

imagine if every game during this gen was allowed to have that...

its' not sony or M fault if they can't came out with a single game during an entire generation, no one besides rockstar can do that.

Last edited:

iorek21

Best R* game in the decade and among the best in the generation.

Top 3 this gen easily for me alongside Persona 5 and God of War

Guilty_AI

Not really.

That'd still be better than in RDR2, where the game is only good if you can put up with the game itself.

Guilty_AI

But if you put with the game, it's a masterpiece.
Yeah, but a game where you have to put up with the game itself is not a good game as a whole. In fact, its usually a terrible one.
RDR2 only gets a pass despite its horrendous mechanics an terrible game design because of the money oozing out from its every hole.

Jon Neu

Banned
Yeah, but a game where you have to put up with the game itself is not a good game as a whole. In fact, its usually a terrible one.
RDR2 only gets a pass despite its horrendous mechanics an terrible game design because of the money oozing out from its every hole.

It gets a pass because it's a totally astonishing and unique experience that unravels to you in a very slow pace, which adds more to the experience if you are capable of handle it.

It's like watching The Wire vs watching Heroes (Nier automata).

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It is definitely a great game in many ways, but it sure does feel antiquated in the gameplay department. Would have also befitted for more and better implemented emergent gameplay.

Guilty_AI

It gets a pass because it's a totally astonishing and unique experience that unravels to you in a very slow pace, which adds more to the experience if you are capable of handle it.

It's like watching The Wire vs watching Heroes (Nier automata).
I think we got to the problem here. RDR2 could great as a TV series, but as a game it sucks. Game elements end up detracting more from the experience than adding.

Then we have titles like Nier Automata and Undertale, where its game elements ADD to the overall experience and complement it.
They're great examples of good game storytelling. On the other hand, RDR2 is a good story with a bad game attached to it, and terribly so.

I wanted a story told as a game, you wanted a TV series, thats why our opinions diverge.

Jon Neu

Banned
I think we got to the problem here. RDR2 could great as a TV series, but as a game it sucks. Game elements end up detracting more from the experience than adding.

Then we have titles like Nier Automata and Undertale, where its game elements ADD to the overall experience and complement it.
They're great examples of good game storytelling. On the other hand, RDR2 is a good story with a bad game attached to it, and terribly so.

I wanted a story told as a game, you wanted a TV series, thats why our opinions diverge.

Telling a good story through a game makes the game better. And let's not forget the gun gameplay in RDR2 it's quite good, also. And the world is super immersive, I literally never use the fast travel because I just love wandering through that vast world discovering this beautifully and super detailed lands and interact with the NPCs (the capacity to interact with every NPC is amazing too, especially with the sheer amount of NPCs, both human and animal kind).

Nier automata is more direct, for sure, but to me lacks both in the gameplay and the presentation department, therefore the story department suffers from it. It's so visually boring and plain; not only the graphics are shitty, but the art, the colours and the stupid camera angles (talk about dated gameplay elements) makes it ugly and inspid. And when you have a videogame that doesn't enter you from the eyes, then that's a far more bigger problem than having a slow pace, in my book.

sendit

Bought an Xbox One X for one game, this was RDR2. While beautiful, the game bore me to death. Double dipped when it was released on PC thinking a higher frame rate, mouse aim, and less input lag would help. Nope, the game is still a snore feast.

Paasei

It is a great story with good dialogue, too bad the gameplay wasn't all that interesting or even good for that matter. Same with any GTA game, really.

Matt_Fox

It's a slow start and too much hand-holding before the game opens up and let's you explore on your own terms... but from the drunken Lenny mission onwards I really enjoyed it!

There were some glimpses of the old satirical Rockstar (the Tesla-inspired mad scientist mission, and the radio controlled boats on the pond) but 95% of the time the game played it straight, perhaps to its detriment.

Dutch and his gang ("just this one more job" ad infinitum) simply weren't interesting enough imho to sustain the amount of screen time they received, but the side missions and other diversions kept me going to the end.

I wont ever replay it, but for better and worse it's going to be remembered as one of the key games of this generation.

Bartski

Gold Member
Some of the best written and acted characters of recent years. Dropped the campaign at over 98% completion (around 300hrs in) and loved every slow and meticulously animated second of it.
It's majestic, staggering world depth and detail, makes this my second highest rated game of 2018 just behind God of War. Despite laggy controls, linear mission design and other flaws, like the truly abysmal multiplayer.
I fully understand why some people hate it, this kind of pacing is not for everyone and that's ok.

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I got tired of Rockstar's restrictive mission design while playing GTA V, so wasn't really all that excited for RDR 2. But for some reason when I sat down to play the game, it just didn't bother me anymore. Maybe because I love a good slow burn western.

Red Read 2 is one of the greatest games ever made. Arthur Morgan is maybe the best protagonist in gaming history. Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself Jon Neu Jon Neu

Wait till you see how it all plays out in the end. Be sure that you make the right choices as Arthur.

jonnyp

It has definite problems but it is still a great game and experience. The level of detail and atmosphere are second to none. Fantastic voice acting, story on the whole very good. Some really fun missions. And spectacular to look at, a real feat to pull off on current gen consoles.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Telling a good story through a game makes the game better. And let's not forget the gun gameplay in RDR2 it's quite good, also. And the world is super immersive, I literally never use the fast travel because I just love wandering through that vast world discovering this beautifully and super detailed lands and interact with the NPCs (the capacity to interact with every NPC is amazing too, especially with the sheer amount of NPCs, both human and animal kind).

Nier automata is more direct, for sure, but to me lacks both in the gameplay and the presentation department, therefore the story department suffers from it. It's so visually boring and plain; not only the graphics are shitty, but the art, the colours and the stupid camera angles (talk about dated gameplay elements) makes it ugly and inspid. And when you have a videogame that doesn't enter you from the eyes, then that's a far more bigger problem than having a slow pace, in my book.
-It might make the game better, but it also makes the story worse when the game sucks.
-The gun gameplay in rdr2 isn't anything special. With a controller+autoaim its basically press aim button->shoot, while with freeaim its almost impossible to hit the enemies that keep jittering.
-Your description of the game world and your capacity to interact with things is basically most rpgs from the last 20 years. And that has been done with far more depth many times in the past. You should know that if you played Fallout New vegas or the original Deus Ex.

-Nier Automata gameplay is fine, not revolutionary or anything but does its job. It was even made by Platinum games, a company known for fun and engaging combat mechanics. The only significant complaint i've seen people have with it was 9S's segment that involved a lot of hacking. I can only assume you decided to play with a Mouse+keyboard instead of a controller, then it would indeed suck.
-Nier Automata literally won Best Score/Soundtrack award of the year, if thats not good presentation i don't know what is.
-I don't know what problem you have with its graphics and art, they're all ok. Not state-of-the-art but i guarantee there are many popular games that look much worse. And don't forget that it was made to run at 60 fps, which is why its graphics are more simple. If visuals that look a slightly bit dated are enough to make you lose interest in a game, then I can only assume that you're indeed looking for TV series in game format, not games.
-And if we're talking about camera, trust me, i had waaaay more issues with the camera in rdr2 than on NA.

And my problem with rdr2's game design isn't the slow pace. Its the confusing menus and inventories, the terrible key mapping, incoherent rules, how the mechanics are designed in pretty stupid ways. Long horse rides were indeed boring, but still much better than the clusterfuck that was everything else.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Red Read 2 is one of the greatest games ever made. Arthur Morgan is maybe the best protagonist in gaming history. Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself Jon Neu Jon Neu

Wait till you see how it all plays out in the end. Be sure that you make the right choices as Arthur.

I just finished the story right now, I'm on the epilogue, but I don't think it really matters. And yes, I did the right choices.

This is the first time a videogame made me cry. I didn't finished the game, the game finished me. And you're right, Arthur Morgan is the best protagonist of a videogame I have ever played.

Red Dead Redemption 2 it's an experience, no other videogame has made me feel like this. It will always have a special place in my heart.

Hosea: “What about you, Arthur? How do you want to die?”
Arthur: “Ah.. I don’t care about all of that. just face me west, so I can watch the sun set and think about all the times we had..”

Last edited:

Catphish

RDR2 is one of my favorite games of all time. To call it a work of art feels like I'm selling it short. The world is masterclass, the story is captivating, the voice acting is superb, and the gameplay, imho, is challenging and fun.

I've put around 70 hours into the game, and I've still never used fast-travel (in single-player). I find the game so strikingly beautiful, that I just can't bring myself to skip past any of it.

Also, it's one of only 3 games in my 40+ years of gaming that ever coaxed me to shed a tear. 👉😢

All that being said, however, I do feel like the game's true potential isn't being realized. So much could be done with the world, either with single player DLC, or more compelling multiplayer gameplay, but nothing is.

I suspect little will be done with the game going forward, as R* is probably focusing the majority of resources now on GTA6, for better or worse.

Last edited:

Rayderism

I played through it when it released. Was about halfway through before I learned that forcing it to 1080p on my PS4 Pro made it look much better (I thought so anyway) and cleared up that Vaseline-like smearing effect. Bad implementation of checker boarding? Overdone motion blurring? I don't know. But once I forced 1080p, the framerate was rock solid, and the Pro was silent as could be, compared to how it roared when playing at CB 4K. And the HDR was kind of borked anyway, so I didn't miss that.

I think this is one game that will greatly benefit from the PS5's improved loading times. There were too many times where I could tell your actions had to load before they played out. For me, those action/input hesitations hurt the game more than anything else.

That said, I did enjoy the game for what it was, but so much of the game was just too drawn out and really dragged the pace down in the SP game. Never bothered with the MP side (I never play MP on any game), so can't comment on that. Might actually play it again on PS5, especially if it gets some kind of enhancement patch.

I'll tell you one thing, when his wife/girlfriend (whatever she was) wants to hang out, in my next playthrough, I'm gonna tell her to piss off. She just felt like a complete waste of time and effort to me.

One of the funniest things in the game that really had me giggling was in the general store catalogs when I saw an ad about toilet paper where it said something to the effect of, "now with 72% less splinters".....Oh man! Talk about butt-itch. No wonder so many cowboys walked around all bow-legged. LOL!

cormack12

Gold Member
Funnily enougb I just went back to this. One more mission in Chapter 2 before advancing and fuck me have I forgotten all the controls and nuances haha.

GymWolf

one of the best things about the game is creating comedy moments tanks to physics and interaction with npc\scenery
you have a shitload of this stuff on yt (someone with great editing)

this stuff is hard to replicate in other open worlds games like ac, horizon etc.

Top Bottom