• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm playing Baldurs gate 2 and it's still magnificent.

Fools idol

Banned
Man, this game has aged incredibly well. As I sit here chugging a coffee and listening to the four chanter dudes at Candlekeep and a wave of 2000 nostalgia rolled over me like a truck.

We've had good cRPG's since this, quite a few in fact but.... this is still better. I cant quite believe this game hasn't really been topped in many ways - the world, the story, the companions, the depth of choice available and overall as a package it's just too good. While newer titles have obviously improved many areas, especially graphics and accessible combat systems, *Something* about this is just special. Not quite sure what.

There is just a real sense of place to this world. Another 200 hours here I come.

Have any of the modern cRPGs come close to this for you guys?

Chanters in question;

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
For a long time i'm thinking about playing the Enhanced Edition on Playstation but now i'm stuck with Diablo 2: Resurrected.

Maybe afterwards.

Loope

Man, this game has aged incredibly well. As I sit here chugging a coffee and listening to the four chanter dudes at Candlekeep and a wave of 2000 nostalgia rolled over me like a truck.

We've had good cRPG's since this, quite a few in fact but.... this is still better. I cant quite believe this game hasn't really been topped in many ways - the world, the story, the companions, the depth of choice available and overall as a package it's just too good. While newer titles have obviously improved many areas, especially graphics and accessible combat systems, *Something* about this is just special. Not quite sure what.

There is just a real sense of place to this world. Another 200 hours here I come.

Have any of the modern cRPGs come close to this for you guys?
Honestly PoE brought that nostalgia back, it just felt good, although i recognize it is not on the same level as BGII. DoS II also was another modern cRPG that impressed me a lot.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
BG2 blows Diablo2 away.

Post Stop GIF by JOE

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
BG2 blows Diablo2 away.
I wouldn't compare them.

Can't remember much since it has been, i don't know, 15-20 years since i played the original.

But i always get struck by a positive notion when i think about it.

For years i tell myself that i need to replay this.

Last edited:
I need to pick this up on Switch again when it’s cheap. I never got around to playing through the second game, the first and the expansion crashed so many times that by the time I finished them, I couldn’t face another 100 hours.

Lanrutcon

It's a classic, for sure.

I can't replay it though. I've tried. That interface makes me find excuses to go do something else.

I'd put down $60 for Baldur's Gate 2: Resurrected. Just give it a visual makeover and a nice interface. Leave the rest alone.

Zug

On PC, this mod allows to play BG1+SOD+BG2+TOB on a single seamless epic playthrough.
It also allows to easily include must have mods (SCS, Ascension etc.)

I agree that the Baldur's Gate saga is still the best overall package in the CRPG genre. It's just that good.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I've tried to get back into it on many occasions but the visuals and so dated it's really difficult. I'm generally fine with old 2d games but BG is dated even compared to most of those.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I don't mean to derail to discus another game, but I just had this experience with Bayonetta. I found that I had the game on Steam so I installed it and fired it up just for fun. Oh man. This truly is one of the best games of its type and nothing that's come after in the genre has been able to top it (except, arguably, Bayo 2). We've had plenty of good, even great, games since, but Bayonetta is still peak.

Some older games are really just that good. It's not always nostalgia clouding judgement.

Xeaker

I played them both for the first time last year. But I liked the first one much more.
The beginning in the second one was horrible.

tkscz

I never played it. How does it compare to NeverWinter Nights 2? (Of which this thread is giving me urges to go back and play).

Zug

I never played it. How does it compare to NeverWinter Nights 2? (Of which this thread is giving me urges to go back and play).
It's much better than the Nwn2 standard campaign, like leagues above it. For years, the 3D transition in games resulted in an overall downgrade compared to the former 2D games. NwN vs BG is a good illustration of this.
Nwn2 : Mask of the betrayer is an excellent campaign though, one of my favorites in the genre, but I would rather compare it with Planescape Torment.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned

For me personally its not even close. BG2 is better in every way.

However, that is very hard to compare, they are both up there/

Last edited:

Tschumi

You know how they could improve it?

Turn based combat.

Sorry, that was bait. I'll say something substantial. Yes, BG 2 is a fucking classic. It's one of those games that becomes emergent on so many levels, where you can create intrigue and variety for yourself within the pre-designed game... That's the best kind of gameplay, where you make your own narratives... But the great thing about BG2 is how coherent and high quality the components of those narratives are.

I'll never forget going into 'the sphere' really early in my first playthrough, getting through it by the skin of my teeth, enjoying the payoff and coasting through heaps of other content in the city because of the boost...

I love NVN 2, wow are you like the only other person to have done so?

If you liked NVN2, you will love Pillars of Eternity 1/2, you might even recognize things FROM NVN2.

BG2 is a far better game, but the mechanics are like a generation younger so you'll have to get through the relatively cumbersome controls first before you really sink into the game. Pillars of Eternity doesn't have that problem. NVN2 has pretty clumsy controls too so maybe you'll be good xP

Last edited:
We will never an unrepentant but awesome character like Korgan, or actually strong women like Jaheira, again. Bioware, and that generation of developers, are dead. :messenger_persevering:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Man, I really wish I knew how to play these games cause I'd probably enjoy them.

I bought a bunch of the classics on GOG years ago and even did all the texture pack upgrades and stuff like that. The games are beyond me though, didn't play PC much as a kid and these classic RPG titles just confuse the hell out of me.

Loope

You know how they could improve it?

Turn based combat.

Sorry, that was bait. I'll say something substantial. Yes, BG 2 is a fucking classic. It's one of those games that becomes emergent on so many levels, where you can create intrigue and variety for yourself within the pre-designed game... That's the best kind of gameplay, where you make your own narratives... But the great thing about BG2 is how coherent and high quality the components of those narratives are.

I'll never forget going into 'the sphere' really early in my first playthrough, getting through it by the skin of my teeth, enjoying the payoff and coasting through heaps of other content in the city because of the boost...

I love NVN 2, wow are you like the only other person to have done so?

If you liked NVN2, you will love Pillars of Eternity 1/2, you might even recognize things FROM NVN2.

BG2 is a far better game, but the mechanics are like a generation younger so you'll have to get through the relatively cumbersome controls first before you really sink into the game. Pillars of Eternity doesn't have that problem. NVN2 has pretty clumsy controls too so maybe you'll be good xP
I like you

Top Bottom