• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm not so sure the PSVR 2 will succeed, and may fall short like the first one. (PSVR2+PS5 may potentially cost $1,040 with two games)

hlm666

How the hell does horizon look generic? It’s been getting non-stop praise from people who are actually playing it. What else in the VR space looks that good and has that level of scale aside from Alyx?
The climbing doesn't look that ground breaking and the combat from those reviews is just using the weapons and movement is a left right button press to strafe around the arena, it sounds like you need more body movement in Beatsabre because you physically dodge and duck in that.

This came out in 2016

I think we will see it. That star wars game and the table top game (Deomeon or whatever) were quest games, right?

I think we're still early enough in the VR lifespan where everyone wants their game on every headset. Then when those games become massive and headset are mass-adopted, we will see exclusive content on headsets. Maybe Beatsabre 2/3/4 will be exclusive?
Meta own beatsabre unlike those other 2 games you mentioned, they own as in they bought the devs and the IP. Meta have ported none of their oculus exclusives to anything, hell oculus were not even doing it before they got bought they even went out of their way to block vive devices being able to play them back in the day.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Can’t help but feel the flaw in your logic is that you’ve added a PS5 + the PSVR2 together. That’s like saying anyone buying a Quest has to also buy a £1000 PC.

My expectation is that the vast majority of people who buy the psvr2 will already have a PS5.

I didn’t buy a psvr1 because it was too expensive for me and I always felt it wasn’t as powerful as the pc ones. And by the time I could afford one I’d missed the boat.

As long as the psvr2 gets a decent amount of sw, I’m in. (Unless it comes in at about £600. Then I might have to wait).

It looks incredibly exciting as a piece of hw. I can’t wait for it to be released. The only things that can mess it up is 1. Cost and 2. Lack of games.

Long as Sony ticks both of those boxes I think it will be very successful.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Hopefully Sony makes good on their "promise" to push devs into making hybrid games. As much as I hate to say it, people don't want no-name indie games, they want God of War, The Last of Us, Destiny 2, Spider-Man, etc.

Make those existing (and upcoming) games playable with VR and it will sell headsets. Push the big third parties into hybridizing their big titles too: CoD, FIFA, Assassin's Creed, etc.

As someone that owned PSVR1, I see myself playing PSVR2 a hell of a lot more.

Reasons:
1. PSVR1 was cumbersome to set up. Cable mess everywhere. Camera positioning.
2. PSVR1 was restricted by 2016 technology. Screen door effect. Very fuzzy image. While the 3D/VR effect was amazing, the image quality was so poor that it was offputting.
3. The control method was really restrictive and the games couldn't really live up to the potential of VR.

Eventually I stopped buying games for PSVR1 because of those factors. When I get PSVR2, I just see myself getting absorbed into VR so much more. Like for instance, RE8 --- looking at the impressions it sounds like this game is almost just as clear in VR as the game is on the TV. No screen door effect. No fuzzy image. It's extremely clear and crisp.

If it's APPEALING and EASY to step into the world of PSVR2 that's going to drive me to buy a lot of games for it, because I honestly didnt want to set-up/boot-up PSVR1

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
If you are a gamer. And remember reading videogame descriptions (especially in the 3D era) they usually used words as "realistic" or " immersive".

The next step in immersion is VR. As simple as that. (And graphics have lost the wow factor they once had)

I strongly believe that VR could become the IMAX of video games.

And people wanting this level of immersion are going to be willing to pay for it.

Just imagine a Harry Potter fan presented with the opportunity to be "present" inside Hogwarts. Exploring the entire castle and discovers it's secrets....yep

Wingardium Orgasmiosa.

But the prices has to be right, and the content has to blow minds.

Crayon

There are options other than those? They will either release or don't. Looks like a bunch of words to say nothing, imo. Almost like the "Sony devs are working on game" insider scoop thread we had.

Tell it to the next person saying the will have to buy every game again. Or every game will be stuck on psvr1.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Can’t help but feel the flaw in your logic is that you’ve added a PS5 + the PSVR2 together. That’s like saying anyone buying a Quest has to also buy a £1000 PC.

My expectation is that the vast majority of people who buy the psvr2 will already have a PS5.

I didn’t buy a psvr1 because it was too expensive for me and I always felt it wasn’t as powerful as the pc ones. And by the time I could afford one I’d missed the boat.

As long as the psvr2 gets a decent amount of sw, I’m in. (Unless it comes in at about £600. Then I might have to wait).

It looks incredibly exciting as a piece of hw. I can’t wait for it to be released. The only things that can mess it up is 1. Cost and 2. Lack of games.

Long as Sony ticks both of those boxes I think it will be very successful.

The Meta Quest can work without a PC, but the PSVR2 can’t work without a PS5.

Three

Also need a couch to sit on, food to stay alive and a fricking house to surround it all.
This gaming hobby is expensive!
I wouldn't know

DYZrC89U0AAz_a9.jpg

The Meta Quest can work without a PC, but the PSVR2 can’t work without a PS5.

So, we're comparing a Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 to PS5 now? I suppose it's a bonus that it can work without a PC at all, but I think when you experience the PSVR2 experience with games that take advantage of the PS5 you wouldn't be making such a comparison again.

They said that with the first one two. Issue is the first one's users are getting cut off.
Nah, no one wants to play those games anymore, man.

They were fine for the first iteration of VR, but they are made for controller mostly. And I’m sure the most popular games will get their PSVR2 patch anyway.

If it will be coming in early 2023, that means likely before may and they don't think it's ready for holiday sales. That gives us a hint that there's a high probability the PSVR 2 will not match the PSVR 1;s price of $400, and instead may cost even more.

Called it. $549 baby. Who is da man? Eddie is da manz.

$500+$549 is $1049 with no game. Unless you get the Horizon bundle which will add $50 totaling $1100. With one $70 game, you are looking at $1120 or $1170(with Horizon) upfront!

Even if you have a PS5 you are paying $50 more than the PS4 in USD!!!!!!!! Without a game!

With Euros, Japanese, and Candian plus other countries that got a price raise you are looking at without Horizon bundle costs converted between $1315-$1525 and $1365-$1575 with Horizon depending on the country. Add a $70 game to that, are you nuts!?

Even if you have a PS5, your headset will cost $600-$825 depending on the country, without a game! Adding a game can add $80-$120 depending on country, for example, Australia I believe the USD $70 games are about $100 there.

You will probably want at least 3 games or more with your console too, you can be paying outside the US close to or more than $2000 buying everything outright.

With a PS5 already, you can cut that in half or so.

This can't possibly work, it can't possibly work guys. Greek man who works at the Italian resturant in downtown Warsaw isn't going to be able to afford this kind of money to play one game in VR. He'll have to take money out his savings and skip a months rent!

Even in US that's a hefty penny during inflation. We are talking about an accessory that costs more than the system required to use it. With LESS quality and graphically impressive titles.

Some people believe Sony will sell out their 2 million unit production in 2-3 months???

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Idk, you said the FIFA bundles in the UK/EU were DOA. 🤷‍♀️

It’s not hard to guess the price of this based on the last one and the current PS5 price.

Last edited:
Idk, you said the FIFA bundles in the UK/EU were DOA. 🤷‍♀️

In the correct context of that thread, it was correct.

Also no one was guessing $549, let's not pretend many though it would be $399 to no more than $499, and people were very unsure about the price being that high usually going back to $450.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
In the correct context of that thread, it was correct.

Also no one was guessing $549 and you know it.
What? How is it correct? Shit stays selling out, lol.

No one? There are several who did in the price poll thread.

You said $1050 with two games. The PS5 is $500, games are $50-$70, do the math. ;)

Stay moving that goofy math. It’s still not rocket science within $100-$150 based on last gen bundle pricing.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$1,040 with two games is actually understated as its $1,050 US combined with zero games. Adding in two $70 games makes it $1,190. Even if the two games are replaced by indie priced VR games, it'll probably still be about $1,100.

Crazy. But Eddie was pretty close.

Rob_27

What annoyed me about the first one was all the "experiences" at first there were a few games I looked forward to but then you get the level made specially for VR. I want full blown dogs bollocks games. If you bring this thing out then it needs support.

Last edited:
What? How is it correct? Shit stays selling out, lol.

We have no numbers for how much those bundles moved or how many where made, the argument was about SELLS of the bundle specifically. The only news we got about FIFA sales was general FIFA sales.

You said $1050 with two games.

Where?

$1,040 with two games is actually understated as its $1,050 US combined with zero games. Adding in two $70 games makes it $1,190. Even if the two games are replaced by indie priced VR games, it'll probably still be about $1,100.

Crazy. But Eddie was pretty close.

?

500+400+70+70=$1040 I was using the belief by many that they wouldn't raise the price from the original PSVR in the OP when it first went up.

Now after the recent $549 announcement, it's 500+549+70+70=$1189 both before tax, Euro will be higher, as would be Canada, Japan and others, and then you have to add their Tax or VAT to that.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Called it. $549 baby. Who is da man? Eddie is da manz.

$500+$549 is $1049 with no game. Unless you get the Horizon bundle which will add $50 totaling $1100. With one $70 game, you are looking at $1120 or $1170(with Horizon) upfront!

Even if you have a PS5 you are paying $50 more than the PS4 in USD!!!!!!!! Without a game!

With Euros, Japanese, and Candian plus other countries that got a price raise you are looking at without Horizon bundle costs converted between $1315-$1525 and $1365-$1575 with Horizon depending on the country. Add a $70 game to that, are you nuts!?

Even if you have a PS5, your headset will cost $600-$825 depending on the country, without a game! Adding a game can add $80-$120 depending on country, for example, Australia I believe the USD $70 games are about $100 there.

You will probably want at least 3 games or more with your console too, you can be paying outside the US close to or more than $2000 buying everything outright.

With a PS5 already, you can cut that in half or so.

This can't possibly work, it can't possibly work guys. Greek man who works at the Italian resturant in downtown Warsaw isn't going to be able to afford this kind of money to play one game in VR. He'll have to take money out his savings and skip a months rent!

Even in US that's a hefty penny during inflation. We are talking about an accessory that costs more than the system required to use it. With LESS quality and graphically impressive titles.

Some people believe Sony will sell out their 2 million unit production in 2-3 months???
PS5 can be purchased for $399... derp

SLB1904

Banned
We have no numbers for how much those bundles moved or how many where made, the argument was about SELLS of the bundle specifically. The only news we got about FIFA sales was general FIFA sales.

Where?

?

500+400+70+70=$1040 I was using the belief by many that they wouldn't raise the price from the original PSVR in the OP when it first went up.

Now after the recent $549 announcement, it's 500+549+70+70=$1189 both before tax, Euro will be higher, as would be Canada, Japan and others, and then you have to add their Tax or VAT to that.
I can't belive you forger the price of the house or the rent. Shame

Stooky

Where?

?

Still the cheapest entry to VR.

Still the cheapest entry to VR.

You forgot about the Quest 2 already?

Don't forget you can still buy Samsung Gears in some places too although I don't know why you would want them, but for the casuals they probably just see they can use their phone. No console or PC set up required.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
You forgot about the Quest 2 already?

Don't forget you can still buy Samsung Gears in some places too although I don't know why you would want them, but for the casuals they probably just see they can use their phone. No console or PC set up required.
Can you play Horizon on those?

Kokoloko85

Fail or not, there will probably be a PSVR3. VR is here to stay, the tech might not 100% be there yet, but it will one day.
I think it will be fine, plus PS5 will most likely get a slim/ price cut in 2023/2024

Beechos

Samsung absolutely had something with the gear vr. These $1000 phones people have are more than capable of running any game the quest 2 can run.

HTK

Banned
Launch the PSVR2 with:
Horizon (Check)
Resident Evil 4
Half Life: Alyx
Gran Turismo 7

And it should sell through the 2 million in 6 months if not faster.

Honestly, if you are into VR then investing 1k dollars shouldn't be a thing to be afraid of.
It's an expensive toy you know, pretending it should work with the same dynamics of standard gaming it's very silly imo. VR, new toys and being cheap guys won't work together lol

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So, we're comparing a Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 to PS5 now? I suppose it's a bonus that it can work without a PC at all, but I think when you experience the PSVR2 experience with games that take advantage of the PS5 you wouldn't be making such a comparison again.

Well why not? Their library overlaps a lot from what I see

Top Bottom