• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm not so sure the PSVR 2 will succeed, and may fall short like the first one. (PSVR2+PS5 may potentially cost $1,040 with two games)

Quest 2 is selling because it is sold at a financial loss.

Quest 2 sold because a combination of price, mass advertising including demos, and having better than mobileVR causal experiences with a bunch of exclusives and timed deals. Quest 2 still would have sold better than other headsets if it was $500 because of the timing of the product, what it had, and it renewed interest in a VR market that was declining or remaining stagnant in other areas.

Quest 3 will get hit regardless because all of that, plus the novelty factor, won't be as new or prevalent.

Quest 2 sold because a combination of price, mass advertising including demos, and having better than mobileVR causal experiences with a bunch of exclusives and timed deals. Quest 2 still would have sold better than other headsets if it was $500 because of the timing of the product, what it had, and it renewed interest in a VR market that was declining or remaining stagnant in other areas.

Quest 3 will get hit regardless because all of that, plus the novelty factor, won't be as new or prevalent.
Quest had no competition. PSVR2 is that competition

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Quest 2 is selling because it is sold at a financial loss. As in it is given away. I am happy for you that you like your "purchase", but you didn't really buy it. They gave it to you. People wonder why Meta spent so much money, and this is where the money went.
The only unit that was likely selling at a loss was the $299 64GB. With the new adjusted pricing I doubt they take a loss on any model.

Boss Man

The satellite radio option on the Toyota Camry is pointless. A Camry costs $20,000 and the radio option is an extra $2,000 for $22,000 combined. Compare this to the Lamborghini satellite radio option which is even better and it only costs $19,000 to add to your Lamborghini.

Last edited:
Lol, no gt7 announcement. They are out of their skulls, that would have at least snagged some buyers.
Well, my boy, it looks like they heard you and delivered to what appears to be a pretty premium offering.

I do know what else would deliver this much value in a single title. Maybe flight sims or space sims.

The rest is just something to check out for an afternoon.

Combining the price of a PS5 and PSVR2 is really misleading. It’s only relevant if you are coming at it from the perspective of someone who already owns a high-end gaming PC but not a PS5, and that PC is already more expensive by itself than the two combined.
Historically, the public doesn’t support add ons in general. In this market, it won’t even be considered by all but the most hardcore.

Yeah, I bought one, but I have a lot of disposable income, and 10 weeks off to recover from my knee reconstruction. I’m the hardcore. I also own an Index. I love VR, but at this price, now wasn’t the time.

Quest had no competition. PSVR2 is that competition

Quest has plenty of competition, and then it took them out with the factors mentioned before and became a big deal, fast-selling headset, leading to the Quest 2 to basically make everything else irrelevant and has been dominating the vast majority of headset sales by itself.

We will find out where PSVr2 stands after launch, when we have a clearer picture on where Sony's production is and how initial sales are.

Many people interested in PSVR 2 at launch will likely already have a PS5, so it's not like everyone getting one will be spending over a thousand.

The game line up for lunch window is decent. 4 big games, Horizon, GT7, RE Village and Dark Pictures: Switchback VR (2 are free upgrades) and a bunch of good indie games too.

PSVR 2 will be fine.

Price. People don’t want it. The economy is bad, layoffs are hitting everywhere, costs are gone up. Accessories like this are the first thing people cut out.

It will not be anywhere near the sales of the original at launch.

It will get support for a year, maybe.

The people that want high end VR want it and know the price is reasonable

The economy isn’t bad. Unemployment is historically low, layoffs are mostly concentrated in one tiny sector

It will easily sell more than 1M in 8 months

Another ignorant/garbage post

Baki

The economy isn’t bad. Unemployment is historically low, layoffs are mostly concentrated in one tiny sector

That segment is a tiny market. You’re half right about the economy. Spending is down inflation adjusted and that’s reflected in the earnings of all major companies. The US still has a resilient jobs market but the ROw is fucked. Let’s see if we get the soft landing the Fed is aiming for.

No I get my news from reality. If the economy were bad people wouldn’t be continuing to spend with rising GDP

No, if you got your news from someone who actually explained where the jobs were, and what part of the economy is actually real and not propped up you wouldn't say the economy is good and unemployment is "low" when many of the "jobs" contributing to that weren't actually new or created.

But that dives a bit toward politics and I'm not really sure where the line for that is, so I'll just say mainstream media is being misleading on the issue

No, if you got your news from someone who actually explained where the jobs were, and what part of the economy is actually real and not propped up you wouldn't say the economy is good and unemployment is "low" when many of the "jobs" contributing to that weren't actually new or created.

But that dives a bit toward politics and I'm not really sure where the line for that is, so I'll just say mainstream media is being misleading on the issue

PS5 just did record numbers

Consumers continue spending on things they want

ProtoByte

PS5 just did record numbers

Consumers continue spending on things they want
Oh, the economy is bad. Whether or not people realise it is a seperate thing. If people were quick to adjust their spending, financial crashes would almost never be so bad.

It's less that all is well with the economy and more that people who like games (already a small audience considering the population) heavily value them and will decrease spending in other areas to accommodate it. And also that it's not like everyone in the market was buying everything for sale in the first place.

Hexxus

Banned

The economy is in shambles. I've personally fired 10 people in the last 30 days. The construction industry is in a near standstill, it's not one tiny sector. The ignorance...

Pelao

"PSVR2+PS5 may potentially cost $1,040 with two games"
lol. Hell, the damn thing costs $1,000 just in its standard edition here in Chile. That said, this week I finally pre-ordered mine, but it's true that it's hard to see it going beyond being a niche peripheral with an extremely low user base. But they have me by the balls with Gran Turismo 7 and Resident Evil VIII. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

saintjules

Price. People don’t want it. The economy is bad, layoffs are hitting everywhere, costs are gone up. Accessories like this are the first thing people cut out.

It will not be anywhere near the sales of the original at launch.

It will get support for a year, maybe.

So what about all these GPUs and their insane costs? No one says anything there.

Doubtful regarding support for a year. That would be a massive failure for Sony. I think they're confident they'll do fine. Though I do think PSVR2 will have a slow start, especially because pre-orders aren't sold out.

I think with the right games it will get better. Especially if Sony can migrate previous gen PSVR games to the new device.

Last edited:

Lasha

Why are we assuming a person why be buying a ps5 and a PSVR 2 at the same time. Most would be buying the ps5 first.

Comparing TCO makes sense on an enthusist forum. Similar comparisons can be made with just the headset since the competition is cheaper, wireless, and standalone.

Hexxus

Banned
So what about all these GPUs and their insane costs? No one says anything there.

Doubtful regarding support for a year. That would be a massive failure for Sony. I think they're confident they'll do fine. Though I do think PSVR2 will have a slow start, especially because pre-orders aren't sold out.

I think with the right games it will get better. Especially if Sony can migrate previous gen PSVR games to the new device.
Everyone is bitching about the costs of GPU's lol. The difference though is those bitching are already vested in an expensive hobby and will just suck it up and pay the cost.

Consoles are all about value, when it takes over $1,000 to do something with a console that value is lost.

Everyone is bitching about the costs of GPU's lol. The difference though is those bitching are already vested in an expensive hobby and will just suck it up and pay the cost.

Consoles are all about value, when it takes over $1,000 to do something with a console that value is lost.

When it takes $1,000 to get to high end VR vs $2000+ the discussion is still about value and nothing is lost

It’s not just about cost either, but ease of use and first party support

Last edited:

Crayon

From the perspective of most buyers, they will already own the console. Same with pc users and vr sets. These bases justify their value without vr at all. There's merit to discussing the all-in cost but the context is that few shoppers will see it that way. This is for a relatively few users who spend a lot. The kind for whom 550 is a lot but not totally uncommon, especially for a hardware purchase. Looking at those buyers, it's more likely to be seen as adding to the value of the console, not diminishing it.

Top Bottom