• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm never able to get into games made by Insomniac

mcjmetroid

While I do agree all their games are extremely solid and very well made in almost every department I always feel like the games never come together that well.. at least for me.

Even going back as far as the Spyro games for the PS1, I always preferred Crash Bandicoot and Ape Escape. Completely different games of course but I always find myself drawing comparisons to other Playstation games at the time as being better. for most of their games. at least for me.

With Spiderman for the PS4, I by far prefer the Batman Trilogy that came before it and Spiderman should tick all the boxes you'd imagine.

Ratchet and Clank series is kinda the same deal as Spyro. In this case I preferred the Jak games.I recently played through the PS4 version of Ratchet and I thought it had great set pieces but didn't do it for me.

Sunset Overdrive is very quirky and tries something different I'll give it that but nah this didn't last too long with me either.

There's something about the way the fames are put together structure wise that is very unsatisfying to me. In Spiderman I find myself going through the motions like I do in open world games I'm not enjoying.

Am I the only one?
I'm certainly one of the few that didn't like spiderman anyway I know that.
It's missing that hook that keeps me playing a game. I finished the game and the ending was great but it was a big trudge in the middle.

With the new Wolverine game being annoucned, I can imagine it being another very well made, graphically impressive game with not so great pacing and not so hot open world mission design.
I hope it will be the one that changes my mind but I'm going to be reading forum impressions first.

Banned
you have the right to like bad games like Crash instead of good ones like Spyro 😉

I personally think they are by far the best studio Sony currently owns

but of course Batman Arkham is better than the Spider-Man games. the issue is that Spider-Man is super worn out and always basically the same.just slightly more polished now that Insomniac does it

Last edited:

TrueLegend

There is a little bit of quirkiness for sure when it comes to combat but they are getting there. For me a well-rounded game is still better than a lopsided game. For example, I liked Jedi Fallen Order's combat but it was truly lopsided, Insomaniac is atleast consistent with their quirkiness.

bender

What time is it?
I can understand not liking them. They are popcorn games that don't try to be anything but popcorn games. I'd still say Insomniac is my favorite of Sony's major studios. I have zero interest in Naughty Dog or SSM these days.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Yeah Spiderman is for me not half as good as the Arkham games. Spidermans mission design was extremely repetitive, and the combat is worse. Its also pretty much open world only, with no tight indoor level design.

Even Origins or Knight are better imo. They just have better enemy AI, better stealth with enemy behavior changes based on what you do. Better indoor locations, even the ones post Asylum, no terrible sections like the MJ and Miles sections (the car perhaps, but the car actually controlled well). I just like Arkham much, much more.

As for Ratchet. They're fun but not top of the pack and too much about shootbang. I enjoyed Psychonauts more, for example and on PS2 Jak 1 was better. I think those are better, more ingenious platform games. Ratchet might have better fight mechanics but we have a ton of shooters to pick from. Way back on PS1 I felt Spyro just wasn't as good as Crash.

That said I think Insomniac is good. Their rate of output is impressive but there is a reason I never bought MM yet. I was so done with Spiderman after getting the plat I still don't want to revisit it.

mcjmetroid

Yeah Spiderman is for me not half as good as the Arkham games. Spidermans mission design was extremely repetitive, and the combat is worse. Its also pretty much open world only, with no tight indoor level design.

Even Origins or Knight are better imo. They just have better enemy AI, better stealth with enemy behavior changes based on what you do. Better indoor locations, even the ones post Asylum, no terrible sections like the MJ and Miles sections (the car perhaps, but the car actually controlled well). I just like Arkham much, much more.

As for Ratchet. They're fun but not top of the pack and too much about shootbang. I enjoyed Psychonauts more, for example and on PS2 Jak 1 was better. I think those are better, more ingenious platform games. Ratchet might have better fight mechanics but we have a ton of shooters to pick from. Way back on PS1 I felt Spyro just wasn't as good as Crash.

That said I think Insomniac is good. Their rate of output is impressive but there is a reason I never bought MM yet. I was so done with Spiderman after getting the plat I still don't want to revisit it.
Theyr'e very consistant in their quality no doubt. I think they're missing something that puts them on the level of Santa Monica or Naughty Dog

bender

What time is it?
I just realized ... there are a whole host things I can't get into!

I think I'll go make threads about all of them. :pie_thinking:
big-hero6-its-okay.gif

Dr Bass

Ya you're right.
why discuss anything on a discussion forum
I agree.

Let me think of a topic.

I can never get into threads made by mcjmetroid.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Btw, if you haven't figured it out, I was just having a bit of fun. Yes at your expense in a way, but you have to admit it is kind of funny to get on a forum and announce the things you don't like. It actually gave me the idea to find a "romance novel" forum and start asking the people there "WTF is this shit, and how do you actually read it?" for laughs. I wasn't trying to criticize you. Besides, your name and avatar is based on Metroid which means you gotta have some taste, so how can I argue with that?

Alright now ... high five.

iu

They are not god or top tier, but a solid studio with good games. Give them a few more years with big Sony money.

Last edited:
the first Resistance i really like. Theres 4 million damn Ratchet games. Like at least 3 of them are good. Spider-Man is good but overrated. It aint GREAT.

Sunset Overdrive is a rose tinted glasses thing. That game was never good. Ppl didn't like it at launch. And now there is this nostalgia thing where ppl look back or try it now, and like it. No. It had some interesting things going on with it, for sure. There are some good things about Sunset Overdrive. But ultimately thats not a good game.

At least Sunset overdrive wasn't bland tho. I feel like their Spiderman game is bland.

poodaddy

Gold Member
While I do agree all their games are extremely solid and very well made in almost every department I always feel like the games never come together that well.. at least for me.

Even going back as far as the Spyro games for the PS1, I always preferred Crash Bandicoot and Ape Escape. Completely different games of course but I always find myself drawing comparisons to other Playstation games at the time as being better. for most of their games. at least for me.

With Spiderman for the PS4, I by far prefer the Batman Trilogy that came before it and Spiderman should tick all the boxes you'd imagine.

Ratchet and Clank series is kinda the same deal as Spyro. In this case I preferred the Jak games.I recently played through the PS4 version of Ratchet and I thought it had great set pieces but didn't do it for me.

Sunset Overdrive is very quirky and tries something different I'll give it that but nah this didn't last too long with me either.

There's something about the way the fames are put together structure wise that is very unsatisfying to me. In Spiderman I find myself going through the motions like I do in open world games I'm not enjoying.

Am I the only one?
It's missing that hook that keeps me playing a game. I finished the game and the ending was great but it was a big trudge in the middle.

With the new Wolverine game being annoucned, I can imagine it being another very well made, graphically impressive game with not so great pacing and not so hot open world mission design.
I hope it will be the one that changes my mind but I'm going to be reading forum impressions first.
Only games I enjoyed from them were Sunset and Spiderman, but I enjoyed them enough that I'm still hype for Wolverine. I think Ratchet and Spyro just aren't for me, demographic wise. Some of their games have this extremely childish feel to them that simply doesn't appeal at all, but in general I think they're solid developers, and they're only gonna get better with time.

Artistic

Also prefer Crash/Jak over Spryo/Ratchet and Clank.

Did enjoy Sunset Overdrive and the Resistance series though.

Likes and dislikes are subjective, of course, but I can't imagine - in my biased view - anyone not enjoying R&C. Just so fun and entertaining on so many levels.

Spyro was the only game on the PlayStation where I felt it could compete against n64 offerings. I always liked it.

And ratchet is a ridiculously long running franchise for a reason. I really liked resistance as well, shame we might not get a remastered trilogy.

But as good as ratchet is I wish they would do something new, and their marvel stuff is as safe and uninspired as it gets with unhealthy doses of current climate.

I think when Sony bought them the writing was on the wall. But I hope I’m wrong and they can wow me again one day.

Artistic

Likes and dislikes are subjective, of course, but I can't imagine - in my biased view - anyone not enjoying R&C. Just so fun and entertaining on so many levels.
Only Ratchet and Clank I've played was Up Your Arsenal. Was definitely fun, but got repetitive towards the end.

Would still play one if given the chance to, just not a must have exclusive IMO.

MacReady13

Am I the only one?

Only 2 games/franchises I agree with is Sunset Overdrive (I never got the love for this game) and the Spyro games (again, not great 3D platformers at all). Other than that, I love everything else they have done pretty much!

Astral Dog

Am I the only one?

I was the same as you, except Spider Man clicked for me its one of my favorite open world games and im very picky about them, NOT because the exploration is good but the combat system is pretty fun, the setpieces fantastic and charming writting, its the anti BotW for me, awesome main story lame overworld.

But don't worry not every game is for everybody Horizon and The Witcher bore to death yet they are insanely popular

Last edited:
The only good game Insomniac ever made was Resistance. It’s a shame seeing a studio of this quality being wasted on Marvel mediocre franchises and Ratchet and Clank (but this one is theirs so Im ok with it).

I can never get into The Legend of Zelda games, so I understand where you're coming from.
They are very solid.
And have a lot of variety.

Disruptor was a good shooter in PS1… played tons of hours.

Resistance Fall Out Man was awesome.
Resistance didn't jive with me at first, but with the unique weapon selection and awesome enemy designs, I fell in love.

I was expecting something Resistance related in today's showcase. Or InFamous. But nope, we got a lot of capeshit stuff.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
So, I will say Insomniac are not as consistent as people pretend. When they're on their game they are excellent. I adore Spider-Man and will gobble up anything they put out in that series. Ratchet has had highs and lows but they're on a high streak now.

But then there are these likeable middling games that could have used a little more time and money, like Sunset Overdrive and Stormland. So many great ideas in those games but they could have used more in the way of content.

Resistance never captured my imagination and I don't care for them. And Feral Rites was their one game that was outright bad. Not even like, buggy or broken, just stupid and not fun.

Bryank75

Banned
Really? I platinumed Miles, SM Remastered, and Riift Apart.

Yup, I consistently platinum their games....top tier gameplay, you can do some fucking amazing things with Spider-man combat. The traversal is some of the best in gaming anywhere and the story and characters in Spider-man are just incredible... particularly Octavious and Aunt May.

Ratchet and Clank is also just phenomenal.... super smooth gameplay, graphics and charming characters.

Reallink

I've quite enjoyed all the R&C games I've played (maybe 70% of them), but was bored out of my mind by the Resistances, Sunset OD, and Spiderman's. All were as mundane and forgettable as white rice and lukewarm water.

Last edited:
The only Insomniac game I ever got into was Spider Man, which I platinumed. Then I got Miles Morales and grew very bored with it and couldn't finish it. Not a Ratchet, Fuse, FPS fan. Haven't tried Sunset Overdrive yet but I will. Gameplay actually looks a little similar to Spider Man. I always thought they were a B tier studio until Spider Man, but they're clearly putting out some well made stuff now - even if I'm not into all of it, or most of it.

Last edited:
I kinda understand this and was thinking it recently having picked up a PS5. They universally look incredible and control well (although snappy and light) but I always think they feel sort of... Arcadey?

I’m not sure if that makes sense. I enjoy them but never love them.

Last edited:

CamHostage

...Can't say you didn't try.

I emphasize with you, sometimes I'm super-excited to play an Insomniac game and it just doesn't click, then a different game from them in the same franchise comes along and I love it, and I can't tell what was the difference is because on paper, they seem equally compelling and complete.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You don't have to like every game, that's fine. I also don't like most of their games, could not care less about Ratchet and Clank for example.

GasTheWeebs

Banned
I get you, they feel like Sega arcades to me, simple and too repetitive gameplay to me. Opposed to Nintendo games that have that well designed gameplay.

Thaedolus

I liked Miles Morales alright, but I was looking up the trade in value of Rift Apart today after only putting a couple hours into it. I think Returnal or Demons Souls might be more up my alley

Ezquimacore

Banned
Their games are good but that's the problem, just "good" games for the kind of budget they have. All their games remind me of old Ninja Theory games like heavenly sword and odyssey, good games but not $60-$70 good.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Mission design is what hampered me, still platinumed both and were great experienced and everybody has different tastes, i couldn't get into Horizon atall but might be due to being tired of open world games

Am I the only one?

You aren't the only one. Imsoniac does ok games, most casual players will like them but those that only like really good games won't have a good time playing them

Top Bottom