• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm getting really tired of "100 player games" that allow you to play with a grand total of two or three friends.

I'm watching an overview of Warlander recently, a new free to play game with a massive player count, and yet again "squads of four players."

Why is it you have to go to a 6 vs 6 game like Call of Duty to play with more than two or three friends at the same time, while for some reason games with massive player counts limit you to three or four people on a team? I guess I can kind of understand it with battle royale games, but why games like this or Battlefield?

Why force me to exclude people if several of the friends I play with happen to be online at the same time? Destiny also sucked when it came to this. Big open world environment where I can randomly run into players fighting giant enemies out in the open, but they won't let you play with any more than two friends. They also started the "three player squad" thing that was a downgrade from the four player standard that we enjoyed for years.

Quasicat

I mainly play single player games, except for Tuesday evenings. I have two friends from high school that each live 8+ hours away and we play Fortnite as we chat. The thing that really pisses me off about it is recently Epic dropped 3 player games so we have to play squads. We do OK, but it’s annoying to have bigger teams against us.

Last edited:

Tsaki

There are not many people that are going to play with so many friends and the game will have to be balanced around the size of the squad. Warzone can't be the same game if you get in with a squad of 20.

cormack12

Gold Member
Stealth brag thread with all your three friends?

forever-alone-rage-face-internet-meme-d-illustration-guy-79965273.jpg

Gaiff

I dunno, OP. I seldom manage to get more than 2-3 guys from the squad at once. I can't recall the last time we managed to get more than 4 guys to all log in at once and play.

Lupin25

Yeah, but the problem is…

So does everyone else lol. There’s plenty of people including myself who would like to but games balance this out.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Games that allow self-hosted servers like Garry's Mod, Rust and Minecraft are known for their ability to host large events for sure.

Drizzlehell

Banned
no-idea-idk.gif

I'm guessing that in some games it's done for balancing, while in others it could be related to server limitations while trying to manage huge groups of players on the same instance. It's different when you can manage each player as an individual but things get more complex if you allow them to squad up, and that complexity would increase as squads get bigger.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Battlefield could let you play with many people in the same game, by using the join game feature.

I remember you could pretty much take over a server.

Top Bottom