• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm enjoying the new release drought

TwiztidElf

The last new release games I played were Horizon Forbidden West and Ghostwire Tokyo. I thoroughly enjoyed both.
But to be honest I'm actually not minding the pause in the onslaught of new releases. It's nice to have the time to take a deep breath, step back and give some time to games I would call a soft backlog. So many great games that deserve more time and attention.

Cyberpunk 2077. I don't give two shits about the hate. I played through the PS5 version and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though I'd finished the PS4 version previously.
Wreckfest. Despite having the plat on both the PS4 and PS5 versions, I'm back 100%ing the campaign, playing the tournaments and playing online. In my region, there is still enough online activity to keep it alive.
Persona 5 Strikers. I wasn't fully committed to this when I first played it, but now on the revisit, I'm totally enjoying it. I've just gone from Sapporo to Okinawa.
I've even been dabbling in PGA Tour 2K21, Wipeout Omega Collection and even WWE 2k Battlegrounds.

Then, what made me think to create this thread. Returnal. OMG - How good is this to come back to? I feel like I totally under-rated this one last year. I've suspended for the first time, and I'm worried about momentum and how you get "into the zone" with this game when I unsuspend. Phenomenal game.

Anyone else not minding the break? And what are you jumping into and enjoying that otherwise wouldn't have got a look in if the new release onslaught hadn't paused?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
On a PC (Jedi Fallen Order, Bravely Default 2), Switch (Overcooked AYCE) and Xbox (Street of Rage 4).

Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, Mario Strikers: Battle League next month. Nintendo Switch Sports just released recently too

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Now imagine only owning a Switch.
Wandering Hip Hop GIF by Green Valley

Ozzie666

The last new release games I played were Horizon Forbidden West and Ghostwire Tokyo. I thoroughly enjoyed both.
But to be honest I'm actually not minding the pause in the onslaught of new releases. It's nice to have the time to take a deep breath, step back and give some time to games I would call a soft backlog. So many great games that deserve more time and attention.

Cyberpunk 2077. I don't give two shits about the hate. I played through the PS5 version and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though I'd finished the PS4 version previously.
Wreckfest. Despite having the plat on both the PS4 and PS5 versions, I'm back 100%ing the campaign, playing the tournaments and playing online. In my region, there is still enough online activity to keep it alive.
Persona 5 Strikers. I wasn't fully committed to this when I first played it, but now on the revisit, I'm totally enjoying it. I've just gone from Sapporo to Okinawa.
I've even been dabbling in PGA Tour 2K21, Wipeout Omega Collection and even WWE 2k Battlegrounds.

Then, what made me think to create this thread. Returnal. OMG - How good is this to come back to? I feel like I totally under-rated this one last year. I've suspended for the first time, and I'm worried about momentum and how you get "into the zone" with this game when I unsuspend. Phenomenal game.

Anyone else not minding the break? And what are you jumping into and enjoying that otherwise wouldn't have got a look in if the new release onslaught hadn't paused?

Persona 5 Strikers, it took a while to really hook me in. Once the the combat clicked, it gave me that same old Persona feeling and vibes. I found myself doing all the side missions and going the extra mile. I walked away very glad I had played it and felt like a solid continuation of the story for the original. I will admit, it's one of those games that took around 10 hours to really hit home. I love the whole concept beyond the story too.

anthony2690

Banned
Sunbreak in June
Fire Emblem Three Hopes in June
Xenoblade Chronicles in July
Front Mission remaster
Splatoon 3
Bayonetta 3
Mario + Rabbids

There isn’t even a drought at all?
We're in may, can you play these games now?
Till June there is pretty much a release drought.

Anyway, I've played through cyberpunk 2077 what I really enjoyed, thought the game looked and played amazing (glad I waited for the next gen version, before playing)

Metro Exodus, finally unsealed it and played through the game and it's first expansion, I'll return too it and do the second expansion one day.

I got a good few hours on sea of thieves yesterday (as I had a few hours to burn) :)

& Working through halo infinite second battle pass :) (level 25 currently)

And I might start sniper elite 5 when it lands on game pass a little later this month, I thought rebellions zombie army 4 was pretty fun, so hopefully I'll like this game too.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

We're in may, can you play these games now?
Till June there is pretty much a release drought.
If we talk about recent releases there’s been Arceus, Triangle Strategy and Kirby in the first three months of the year.

I just find it weird to try and single out the Switch « drought » when it has the strongest release schedule this year but it’s a matter of perception I guess.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
If we talk about recent releases there’s been Arceus, Triangle Strategy and Kirby in the first three months of the year.

I just find it weird to try and single out the Switch « drought » when it has the strongest release schedule this year but it’s a matter of perception I guess.

FQi.gif

anthony2690

Banned

But again that is still April and May without any new releases what is a release drought, it pretty much applies to every platform.

Not a big deal as it's a good time to check out games you may not have played or left in your backlog or whatever. :)

I still need to grab Kirby for the other half so I can play it :)

Xeaker

I haven't played a great game in years, the last one was RE 2 Remake which came out in 2019. The one before that was Dragon Quest 11 which was in 2018...
Everything else was just OK or only good...
I can see the same with my friends and family, there is just nothing out there.

Reactions: Isa

Markio128

I mean, I haven’t felt a drought, having played the hell out GT7 and HFW, but there is certainly a lull in big releases atm

Finished Cyberpunk myself on PS5 last night - pretty decent game - though I think I managed to piss off just about every character by the end 😂
Now I’m weighing up my next game; do I continue with ER, or start a new game? I chose a typical sword/shield class in ER and by the time I’d reached Radahn, I was getting pretty bored with the build. There doesn’t appear to be a lot of choice in armour, or the ability to change its appearance.

Astral Dog

Sunbreak in June
Fire Emblem Three Hopes in June
Xenoblade Chronicles in July
Front Mission remaster
Splatoon 3
Bayonetta 3
Mario + Rabbids

There isn’t even a drought at all?
I don't mind the break of releases but the lack of news is killing me, we need that Direct asap.

God i need that Bayonetta 3 news 😭

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Drought? Its like been one of the most packed starts to a year: Im guessing only people who game on 1machine feel a drought

Sifu, Elden Ring, Horizon 2, Kirby, GT7, Triangle Theory. Returnal Free DLC has been addictive and where most my time has gone. And loads to come, hopefully no delays and it will be a pretty good year

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
OP you don't have a backlog if you have time to play cyberpunk TWICE!

on the real, I agree. I am loving having the time to play gems I've wanted to play after an elden ring binge.

Spaceman292

Banned
I haven't played a great game in years, the last one was RE 2 Remake which came out in 2019. The one before that was Dragon Quest 11 which was in 2018...
Everything else was just OK or only good...
I can see the same with my friends and family, there is just nothing out there.
I think you're just miserable

Umbasaborne

Banned
Yeah, I was looking at the calendar of upcoming releases, and yeah, its very barren, i expect this to be a very light summer for big releases. The one im looking forward to the most, saints row, is still 3
Months away.

Fredrik

I don’t like it but I mostly play Elden Ring anyway so it’s a smaller problem than I thought it would be.
Gamepass releases are my fillers when I’m too lazy to play Elden Ring. Been playing Tunic, tried Lootriver too, just installed Trek to Yomi.

reinking

Gold Member
I'm using the break to play a few games on Apple Arcade on my Apple TV. It's actually been a good experience. Currently playing Fantasion. It is an old school JRPG. It's been fun so far (about to wrap up part 1),

• Thoughtful
Top Bottom