• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm A Little Concerned About The Trails/Kiseki Series

It seems like it brings up more questions than it answers and that it's going to continue on for a long time, assuming they managed to finish it.

We still don't have answers for a lot of things like Stigmas and where they come from, Gehenna and the Beyond, Adios, etc.

It's amazing I thought it's probably one of the longest ongoing series that takes place in the same world with connected stories for the last 15 years or so but I fear things may never get resolved.

I also don't like how so many things in a series seem to be tests or illusions or simulations or whatever.

Any other fans of this series worried about that?

Last edited:

Amiga

My only concern are the graphics. Trails and also Ys look so very bland they stop me from playing the games. They don't have to be Matrix Awakens level. Creative art can do plenty on a low budget like in Persona and Atelier. I would even take pixel art over what they currently do.

Pejo

I mean you already know the ending. Try to find a world ending calamity that couldn't be countered by this:

Ejt8jrNVoAAVJIw.jpg

Meicyn

Gold Member
I mean you already know the ending. Try to find a world ending calamity that couldn't be countered by this:

Ejt8jrNVoAAVJIw.jpg
Seriously. I flat out have given up on the series after Cold Steel 4, after they did the JRPG equivalent of

the devil made me do it with the villains and has fully embraced Dragonball Z style storytelling moreso than ever before. The world building, discussion of supposed politics, all of it is irrelevant set dressing since Rean can just friendship his way through anything. It’s season 8 Game of Thrones tier writing, maybe worse seeing how no one fucking dies.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
My only concern are the graphics. Trails and also Ys look so very bland they stop me from playing the games. They don't have to be Matrix Awakens level. Creative art can do plenty on a low budget like in Persona and Atelier. I would even take pixel art over what they currently do.
Ys has never had good graphics going all the way back to the snes days. That series has always been about the gameplay and battle systems. I wish I could say the same about Trails, but I’ve never tried any of them.
Anyway, my point is, if it’s graphics stopping you from playing Ys games, then I don’t think that will ever change. It might just not be for you, and that’s okay 👍

I'm just enjoying the ride. Like a long running anime series. Trails is the One Piece of videogame series.
I kind of compare it to the MCU especially with all the reality altering treasures that Ouroborous is out looking for which are pretty much the equivalent of the Infinity Stones and with all the different arcs detailing different heroes and characters.

One thing I really fear is this series is going to conclude with some kind of "everything wasn't illusion and nothing was real" or "it was a simulation" type of ending.

There's a lot of games that are coming out of Japan over the past decade or so that have ended with that kind of reveal. Even some American games are doing that.

In fact, spoiler ahead....
Star Ocean 3 comes to mind for one.

I guess it's The Matrix that help popularize that whole idea to an extent but it's an ending I really really hate when it comes to the end of the game or series.

I'm hoping this is not going the same route.

lachesis

I think Kondo said with the release of Kuro no Kiseki, the saga is about 60-70% done - so I guess we are almost nearing the endline.
He did say he intends to finish the series before his retirement, but he's only 47... so we still have 18 years to go. ;)
I'm slowly working on the series now - currently playing Zero on steam deck off and on - all we can do is see how it goes.

I think Kondo said with the release of Kuro no Kiseki, the saga is about 60-70% done - so I guess we are almost nearing the endline.
He did say he intends to finish the series before his retirement, but he's only 47... so we still have 18 years to go. ;)
I'm slowly working on the series now - currently playing Zero on steam deck off and on - all we can do is see how it goes.
60 to 70%. So it's a long way to go. I want some questions answered.

Top Bottom