• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

igorks on Ampere, RDNA2 TDP, performance

llien

TL;DW

Sidenote on Ampere:
* Enough chips so that mass production is worth it for OEMs, but not enough for full capacity production
* "NV is catching up" 5+ weeks later or so (more chips later on, shocker eh?)
* 3060 is GA104 (as 3070)

AMD
* silence, OEMs not having BOMs yet (bill of materials), so either card is coming late, or it is AMD only launch
* speculation: TDP: 275W (for comparison, Vega VII, a 7nm 330mm2 DUV product with HBM2 memory had TDP of 295W)
* speculation: Performance at around 3070 levels if at 275W, if what Huang said is not an exaggeration
* speculation: Around 3080 levels if pushed to 300W
* speculation: 3090 out of reach

(in German, AMD part starts at 13th minute)

VfjNv6R.jpg

Last edited:

CuNi

No AiB Launch is also huge if true.
That would mean no reason to wait for AMD and NVidia dominates market share once more.
AMD really turned over their CPUs but somehow they can't catch a break on the GPU side of things (if this is true obviously).

This is typical Radeon for the last few cycles, come out too late... So it s no longer top of the line.. consume wayyy too much power for what it is.

MH3M3D

I call BS on the TDP part. AMD is on a superior node TSMC node. No way it will consume that much power.

Ellery

300W to 275W = 3070 to 3080 levels?

sounds wrong. 🤷‍♀️

In Nvidia own terms, 3070 is 100W less than 3080.

So either one of AMD card is super efficient or super inefficient

Yeah true. The 3080 is like 50% more power usage and 50% bigger (I think in terms of hardware/cores etc. iirc) and probably around 30-40% better than the 3070.

Whether the AMD GPU is 275W or 300W it won't have any meaningful impact on it's performance. Definitely less than 10%. Probably less than 6%

In the end the truth is probably somewhere inbetween the 3070 and 3080. I feel like people aren't realizing how great the 3080 actually is even compared to the 3070.

If I had to speculate I would say RX 6800 XT is 20% better than the RTX 3070 and costs 599$ with more/better VRAM.

supernova8

Banned
That would mean no reason to wait for AMD and NVidia dominates market share once more.
AMD really turned over their CPUs but somehow they can't catch a break on the GPU side of things (if this is true obviously).

Just because the AIBs aren't launching yet doesn't necessarily mean it's late. Maybe they really just don't want any leaks.

supernova8

Banned
Yeah true. The 3080 is like 50% more power usage and 50% bigger (I think in terms of hardware/cores etc. iirc) and probably around 30-40% better than the 3070.

Whether the AMD GPU is 275W or 300W it won't have any meaningful impact on it's performance. Definitely less than 10%. Probably less than 6%

In the end the truth is probably somewhere inbetween the 3070 and 3080. I feel like people aren't realizing how great the 3080 actually is even compared to the 3070.

If I had to speculate I would say RX 6800 XT is 20% better than the RTX 3070 and costs 599$ with more/better VRAM.

Maybe that's exactly what they're going for. In normal circumstances, AMD would have nothing ready for another year anyway, NVIDIA would be able to sell the 3070 unopposed for 12 months and release the 3070 Ti/Super refresh just in time to counter whatever AMD has coming. This time around, AMD may be planning to be that 3070 Ti before NVIDIA has had a chance to release it.

notseqi

300W to 275W = 3070 to 3080 levels?

sounds wrong. 🤷‍♀️

In Nvidia own terms, 3070 is 100W less than 3080.

So either one of AMD card is super efficient or super inefficient
Don't say that. I'm hoping on next-next-gen levels of performance.

pls, Lisa

Ellery

Maybe that's exactly what they're going for. In normal circumstances, AMD would have nothing ready for another year anyway, NVIDIA would be able to sell the 3070 unopposed for 12 months and release the 3070 Ti/Super refresh just in time to counter whatever AMD has coming. This time around, AMD may be planning to be that 3070 Ti before NVIDIA has had a chance to release it.

It takes so many years and so much money to finalize a GPU that it is unlikely. They have to position themselves after Nvidia has shown their hand. If (by some hypothetical miracle) the new Navi card was faster than the 3090 then AMD would be asking big money for it and branding it accordingly. The only things that are changing now are the clockspeeds, name, price and driver optimization.

I think what we are going to see from AMD is the best RDNA2 / 7nm they can put out given the resources they have and they probably underestimated the length Nvidia would go through with the 30 Series. I think many people were caught off guard when Nvidia went with a 320-350W flagship GPU that achieves performance by brute force. In recent years I think all GPUs were around 250W ~ for Nvidia. I would need to look it up, but I can't remember any GPU that needed that much power.

CuNi

Just because the AIBs aren't launching yet doesn't necessarily mean it's late. Maybe they really just don't want any leaks.

But many people prefer AIBs over Foundry versions and those things take time.
If AIBs have nothing yet (which I hope is wrong) then AIBs wont release in 2020 anymore and it'll be NV Foundry + AIB against AMD Foundry only.
I think you can guess who will, once more, dominate the market share.

But many people prefer AIBs over Foundry versions and those things take time.
If AIBs have nothing yet (which I hope is wrong) then AIBs wont release in 2020 anymore and it'll be NV Foundry + AIB against AMD Foundry only.
I think you can guess who will, once more, dominate the market share.

How come AIBs are prefered?

GHG

Gold Member
So nothing imminent from AMD then?

I don't know what the fuck they are doing but allowing Nvidia to have the rest of the year to themselves like this is suicide.

supernova8

Banned

I don't know what the fuck they are doing but allowing Nvidia to have the rest of the year to themselves like this is suicide.

Maybe they want to give NVIDIA as little warning as possible before they pounce. This has to got to the first time in a while AMD has been completely radio silent. Exciting.

longdi

Banned

If you see invested amounts Nvidia has poured in, I am believing Amd is no longer able to compete at the top ends, meaning the x80 series..

Last edited:

CuNi

How come AIBs are prefered?

Because even though Foundry edition are better samples that you technically could OC higher etc. the average joe does nothing of those sorts.
We know people with deep pockets buy the best out there even when it's literally overkill for what they use it for, and it's the same with models in a given series.
AIBs usually sell higher Base and Boost clocks out of the box (not much obviously) but people still go for it.
In my group of friends, there are 2 guys that lets say decide to buy the XX80 and then find the one with highest Base/Boost clock and buy it. They don't OC, they don't adjust any settings, nothing.
They throw those cards in and they'll stay like that until they get swapped out for a new card. And as sad as this sounds, that's the majority of people. Most people buy GPUs and then never touch them again in terms of OC etc.

On top of that, AIBs offer you a choice in cooling solution, additional features like fan count, display (for whatever reason that's a thing) etc and, lets face it, some just fit some builds better than others do.
Maybe you're going for a theme with your build and not every GPU will look nice in there.

The rumour is release in October. In fact, AMD said they will release RDNA2 cards before the next gen consoles launch in November.

Maybe some tease this month.

SantaC

Because they are doing too much at once.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This is like the situation with AMD, how they introduced unified architecture on X360 first and then we got that 2900XT which was hot garbage. Basically since that time nVidia dominates.

llien

Lisa Su has announced high end GPU cards (and next gen Zen) release to take place this year.
There will be legal consequences if that does not happen.

It might be that AMD wants to see the actual benchmarks before deciding on how to shape the products. I.e. they could decide to push it harder into 300W caregory, or go for lower clocks and highlight low power consumption. Even RAM size is something they could change last minute.

PS
For lulz:

Yes for the dedicated GPU side of things, I don't even think there could be a reasonable argument made for going AMD there unless they make their prices extremely attractive.

On the integrated graphics side they are getting pretty close to taking off the bottom tier of dedicated graphics altogether, especially in laptops... I think DDR5 will make integrated graphics even more viable, even for light AAA games.

People swore up and down the RTX 30XX series would be very powerful, but cost more than 20XX series. Nvidia killed the "more expensive rumor", by revealing it's performance, series lineup and pricing.

Is it too much to ask for AMD to just spill the beans already? I'd love to be impressed and have my doubts removed, but I just can't help think they have dropped the ball on their GPU's yet again.

Ascend

I'm expecting their best GPU to be able to have around RTX 3080 performance at a lower power draw.

There are some rumors going around though, that even though they can beat nVidia, they are not interested in having much supply of the largest die (if any at all), because they would make more money allocating those wafers to creating more Ryzen 4000 CPUs.

Let's see what happens. I don't doubt that AMD is capable of competing at the high end this time around. Whether they actually will is another story.

Rikkori

AMD have the engineering chops to compete in terms of pure silicon quality. The real question is - what about the software stack? I know people think they should do a DLSS alternative but imo a bigger deal would be a good VRS global implementation. And of course, catch up on the encode/decode side!

Top Bottom