• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGNxGamer] Horizon: Forbidden West – PS5 vs PS4 Pro vs PS4 Performance Review

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

By Michael Thompson

Forbidden West’s resolution on the PS4 tops out at 1920x1080, but that’s not the whole story as it appears to use checkerboarding or other reconstruction techniques to hit even that level. This results in some half pixel width counts, i.e. 960 and even a reduced 900p height at times – although this may be a drawback of any reconstruction technique similar to checkboarding as well, which are almost impossible to decipher from the outside in.

Forbidden West on PS4 Pro looks like a more refined version of the PS4 version, pretty much as expected, offering the sharper and cleaner image quality as it now renders at an increased 3200x1800. While better, that’s notably still a reduction from the 3840x2160 checkerboard resolution of Zero Dawn, and it likely relies on that checkerboard method to achieve its sharp and clean final output. Regardless, the Pro’s improvement is substantial and resolves many of the issues that crop up in the PS4 output.

The PS5 uses its phenomenal power hike to offer two options: the first is native 4K via its 30fps resolution mode, which is clearly the sharpest and most visually impressive of all the options and resolves any image quality issues with a sharp and stable picture that generally blurs the lines between offline (pre-rendered) and real-time rendering. If you want 60fps, as many Horizon fans might now be used to after the Zero Dawn backwards compatibility patch last year, then the performance mode has you covered. The cost of that increased frame rate is that Forbidden West reverts to a checkerboard output like the Pro, still at 3200x1800p but now resolved via this temporally accumulated method. Moving in the larger open world it also appears to be using a dynamic solution, with a low of 2880x1620 noted in dense views. The drop in pixel clarity is very minor but can be seen in areas of the screen with lots of movement, especially within certain textures, thin foliage, reflective surfaces, and post-processing effects such as screen space reflections. That said, the doubling of the framerate more than makes up for this loss, and within a minute or so the resolution difference becomes less noticeable.

Last edited:

tommib

PS5 pro please I want this running 4k60
And after that you’ll want 4K 120 fps. And then 6K 60 and then…

mouse wheel GIF

Well, excuses of new gen consoles not being powerful enough are quickly running out.

Edit: This post was meant to convey the opposite of what most seem to think and take a shot at the performance modes of GotG and Dying Light 2. I reckon my post wasn't very clear.

Last edited:

Belthazar

I'm still shocked by what they achieved on a base PS4, I was honestly expecting the performance to suffer but it's quite stable.

Ellery

Remember people what you wish for.

You want 4K 60fps ? Then you will get 4K 60fps with the next console.

Wish for 8K 120fps for the next consoles, because by the time they are out you aren't happy with 4K 60fps anymore.

Always the same thing. Before PS5 XSX launched everybody "just wanted options to have 60fps".

And 1 year into a new console gen and people are unhappy.

supernova8

Banned
Well, excuses of new gen consoles not being powerful enough are quickly running out.
I suppose it's sort of sadistic but I almost feel like it's hard to really believe they're squeezing out all of that juicy juice until we're at the point where even a PS4 Pro can barely run PS5-built games (ie not cash-grab cross-gen bollocks). We're already a year in and there isn't really any sign whatsoever that something like that is even on the horizon (Horizon... see what I did there)

Hd Chuckle GIF

assurdum

Banned
I suppose it's sort of sadistic but I almost feel like it's hard to really believe they're squeezing out all of that juicy juice until we're at the point where even a PS4 Pro can barely run PS5-built games (ie not cash-grab cross-gen bollocks). We're already a year in and there isn't really any sign whatsoever that something like that is even on the horizon (Horizon... see what I did there)

Hd Chuckle GIF
The thing is 60 fps mode wasn't even "mandatory" in the past generation in cross gen releases and people call a console at 399 underpowered because can't handle 60 FPS at the same resolution of 30fps. This is a new level of stupidity. If I can blame something about the ps5, it's the lack of a sort of DLSS hardware dedicated which really I don't get it, after seen Cerny design CBR hardware on the Pro.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Hd Chuckle GIF

I think people underestimate sometime how much work there is in pushing native 4K visuals and higher framerate (every effect layer you add is more expensive if it is resolution dependent…). If you target 1080p@30 FPS then you can see what these consoles can do (see Matrix demo).

G-Bus

Banned
I am genuinely curious why they couldn't get this to run 4K 60fps. I figured that would be an easy target for ps5 with a crossgen game.

supernova8

Banned
I think people underestimate sometime how much work there is in pushing native 4K visuals and higher framerate (every effect layer you add is more expensive if it is resolution dependent…). If you target 1080p@30 FPS then you can see what these consoles can do (see Matrix demo).

Well yeah we're in a strange situation where we sort of skipped the whole "let's actually hit 1080p60 reliably" idea and went straight to "OK let's err target 4K because that's the new buzzword!". I personally don't care for 4K. Resolution absolutely does not equal visual fidelity (especially when it comes to realism). I said in the GT7 thread, maybe we could've had full ray tracing if it were just 1080p.

I am genuinely curious why they couldn't get this to run 4K 60fps. I figured that would be an easy target for ps5 with a crossgen game.
Pretty obvious to me, they chose to enhance the last gen version. Who knows what the resolution mode would run unlocked.

Its always been down to developer skills. This is why I love 1st party- almost always a showcase of how to manage a console properly.
Yep. This is a PS4 game that looks better than almost every other game out there visually. The issue is really not hardware at this point, but just budget and developer choices.

Mahavastu

not really.
On the PS Pro it works with 1800p checker boarding ith 30fps. Doing an native 4k resolution with double the pixels is already adds quite a bit in rendered pixels per frame.
Beside resolution and framerate they had quite some improvements in other areas to make it look "next gen". I assume the game would look much worse if they would target native 4k/60

We don't really have a grasp on what "current gen" can do yet. I don't think R&C Rift Apart is a great example either.

I still feel like these consoles are being held back a ton. Tip of the ice berg imo.

I think you are correct but I think FW looks good enough on PS4 to pass as a current gen title as of now is the point I was making.

ethomaz

Banned
4k30fps mode is one of the biggest generation jump saw this new generation.
Looks like another game.
Crazy gorgeous.

Last edited:
NXGamer NXGamer
still at 3200x1800p but now resolved via this temporally accumulated method.
how is their reconstruction method compared to what they were using before and the one used in Ratchet and Spiderman games on Pro? Do you know why they changed their method of reconstruction?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Remember people what you wish for.

You want 4K 60fps ? Then you will get 4K 60fps with the next console.

Wish for 8K 120fps for the next consoles, because by the time they are out you aren't happy with 4K 60fps anymore.

Always the same thing. Before PS5 XSX launched everybody "just wanted options to have 60fps".

And 1 year into a new console gen and people are unhappy.

Yep! And with the PS7 people will be crying for 8K 240fps. And demanding it as if 4K 60fps is trash lol. I hate gamers sometimes.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I feel like there is more thread about this game’s graphic more than actual game itself.

Top Bottom