• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGNxGamer] Call of Duty Vanguard - PS5 & PC Performance Review

3liteDragon

Call of duty vanguard was released this week on PS5, Xbox, PS4 & PC. We were granted code for Playstation and PC and entered the Battlefield. Running through the Campaign on all formats, we dive into the Technology, graphics, resolution, and much more across Console and PC including a comparison to PS5 and High-end PC. Boots on the ground soldier, click to learn more. This is our Call of Duty Vanguard Review looking at the performance of the game across PS5 and PC.

Tqaulity

Another AAA game with near flawless performance on the new gen consoles! I'm loving it! People need to stop sleeping on these machines. With the advancements in reconstruction, fidelity of the visuals on display, and diminishing returns at these resolutions, the difference between these consoles and a top end PC is mostly negligible. But the reward for the system speed, simplicity, and consistency of the performance (60fps locked in the 99 percentile in many cases) is just invaluable IMO. Great job Sony and Microsoft!

Great Performances of New Gen Consoles

S0ULZB0URNE

It might be nice to glance at but it has no substance in its graphics. Like, nothing is interactable except the few bits of wood they want you to shoot through.
This gen needs to focus more on physics and interactivity than just straight up 4k'ing everything.
Q3 Arena Engine

PS5 holding its own versus PC. Hell, even the PS4 looks very good. These upscaling techniques are working wonders.
At a 1/4 th of the res... You can use CAS with half slower card to match ps5 output. I was waiting when he will enable CAS on PC to see what you get then, but alas it never happened ofc. to noones surprise. Another rather embarrassing video from NXGamer.

hlm666

So he goes on about how good upscaling is then doesn't test fsr or dlss. Talks about how the graphical difference between ps5 and pc are not really noticable then doesn't give us any info on how it runs on pc on settings below maximum in a performance review. He's clearly not interested in covering pc so he should just not bother with the 2 minutes he gives to it.

kikkis

My english listening skills aren't great, but if I understood correctly, NXGamer said that game renders at 1080p and upscales to 4k on ps5? I am gonna have to press X to doubt on that since, Mw engines software VRS and rdna 2 is much more performant at higher resolutions.

So he goes on about how good upscaling is then doesn't test fsr or dlss. Talks about how the graphical difference between ps5 and pc are not really noticable then doesn't give us any info on how it runs on pc on settings below maximum in a performance review. He's clearly not interested in covering pc so he should just not bother with the 2 minutes he gives to it.
Right FSR. 1080p would be performance mode as well, which had artifacts and looked no where as good as native. But of course it's the new iteration 2.0 and got improved leaps and bounds over first one.

SGood thing for low end PC gamers then. Play at 1/4 th res with FSR and the game will look as good as native 4K./S

Exactly.. lmfao. How do you NOT test DLSS and FSR on the PC version?

He clearly got the footage from Destin... so thus was not able to test anything himself... which immediately puts into question anything said here. It also goes to show why he didn't bother (or couldn't) show any of the "differences" he talked about and downplayed.. essentially saying "they're likely better on PC because things scale with resolution... but moving along.."

And he also says the PC version is "pushing 2x the amount of pixels" when that's wrong. If PS5 is rendering natively at 1920x1080 and being reconstructed to 4K.. then native 4K is 4x the amount of pixels...

If you're not going to make a proper comparison, don't even bother. Show the native 4K performance, and then show the PC version using FSR or DLSS rendering at the same internal resolution and inform people of the performance increase that can be expected..

TrebleShot

Incredible performance and visuals on this game.
Love the comparison and was very interested in what CAS does in the menu. For me it looks so so close to native this is the kind of optimisation I am looking for on consoles and marks a good sign for the current gen moving forwards.

this with the upscaling tech patented by Sony it could get very interesting in the hardware/ console space. Why spend thousands on graphics cards when this tech is only improving and almost proving the results indistinguishable.

AI scaling to the rescue!

Mr Moose

Why is it different from the MP beta?
PS5 in the 60fps mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x2160.

BigLee74

Playing the campaign on the XSX. I think it looks great.

There are sections though where the frame rate turns into a slideshow - and these are obviously when it’s loading the next part of the level. Only lasts a few seconds, but disappointing all the same.

PaintTinJr

And he also says the PC version is "pushing 2x the amount of pixels" when that's wrong. If PS5 is rendering natively at 1920x1080 and being reconstructed to 4K.. then native 4K is 4x the amount of pixels...
It depends how you are measuring it. The reconstruction uses fill-rate too, but then typically high-res native uses more fill-rate per pixel in the shader fx, so none of the statements would be technically true - it needs developer info to say how much fill-rate is saved, which is maybe what he is quoting.

Lysandros

My english listening skills aren't great, but if I understood correctly, NXGamer said that game renders at 1080p and upscales to 4k on ps5? I am gonna have to press X to doubt on that since, Mw engines software VRS and rdna 2 is much more performant at higher resolutions.
No. It uses a reconstruction metod from a base resolution of 1980x2160P (not 1980x1080) to reach 2160P, somewhat akin to 2160 CB. It is not a simple upscale from 1980x2160P, the image quality would noticeably worse in that case. And remember reconstruction isn't 'free', it requires some processing but PS4 PRO and PS5 'might' use the custom ID buffer hardware for it.

Edit: Correction; he indeed stated 1980x1080 as the base resolution used for construction to 4K in the video. My mistake.

Last edited:

Md Ray

No. It uses a reconstruction metod from a base resolution of 1980x2160P (not 1980x1080) to reach 2160P, somewhat akin to 2160 CB. It is not a simple upscale from 1980x2160P, the image quality would noticeably worse in that case. And remember reconstruction isn't 'free', it requires some processing but PS4 PRO and PS5 'might' use the custom ID buffer hardware for it.
Yup. People don't realize there's an additional rendering cost to techniques like reconstruction and checkerboard on top of rendering at 1920x2160.

Yes I think NXGamer NXGamer is wrong here. Reconstruction should be done from half native res (like in many previous COD), not quarter.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Doesn’t matter PS5 will never compete with a 3090 never in any scenario ever
Deny Kurt Cobain GIF by Nirvana

Midn1ght

So PS5 can go head to head with a 3090 and hold it's own - impressive!

Give it 6 months and the PS5 will be more powerful than the upcoming top end 4000 Nvidia cards.

NXGamer's obsession in proving the PS5 is as powerful as a top end Nvidia card is as weird as DF Alex constantly comparing the console with a mid-low tier first gen RTX card.

Consoles are powerful and offer great value for the price.
Top end graphic Cards shit on them and cost two arms.

Deal with it both side.

Lysandros

Yes I think NXGamer NXGamer is wrong here. Reconstruction should be done from half native res (like in many previous COD), not quarter.
Funny thing is i thought he stated 1980x2160P despite watching the video, so i did not think that he was wrong. Now watching it again, the base resolution is indeed stated as quarter of native? Probably that's indeed the case but i am a little puzzled. Anyways i should have been more attentive to the figures cited in the video before posting. My mistake.

Edit: He states later in the video that the 3090 pushes 'twice' the number of pixels compared to PS5 (so 1980x2160 vs native), 1980x1080 would be quadruple, so these is possibility of a mistake (typo) i guess.

Last edited:

Elog

Why are people so hostile? His point is that reconstruction methods are great and that while playing he cannot really see the difference between the PS5 2160 (reconstructed)@dead stable 60 FPS compared to a 3090 that is rendering at native 2160 and generates basically the same flat 60 FPS-

He is not trying to say that the PS5 is as powerful as a 3090 - his point is that he can hardly spot the difference at 60 FPS due to reconstruction which are great news for console players and also shows the diminishing returns of TFLOPs. I know some will react now but this was one of Cerny's key points that for 30/60 FPS gaming diminishing returns kicks in hard around 10 TFLOPs.

This picture changes ofc @120 FPS.

I am more curious why there was no XSX data in the video.

Last edited:

Arioco

NXGamer's obsession in proving the PS5 is as powerful as a top end Nvidia card is as weird as DF Alex constantly comparing the console with a mid-low tier first gen RTX card.

Dude, that's not what NXGamer said in the video at all. He clearly says the 3090 is running the game at native 4K. That's WAY more pixels than PS5. Several times more pixels, in fact.

It's funny because NXGamer if often criticized for using a RTX 2070 and and what some consider an old Ryzen for his comparisons. They say he used that rig to make PS5 look good in comparison. Now he used a 3090 and... yes, he just wants to make PS5 look good too.

Seriously, this is pretty crazy guys, you guys should give NXGamer a break.

Tqaulity

Doesn’t matter PS5 will never compete with a 3090 never in any scenario ever
Ok Pipe down PC elitists. Nobody with any common sense would suggest the PS5 has the raw horsepower and capability of an RTX 3090. That's obvious. BUT what you can say is that the overall experience of playing this game on a PS5 compared to a 3090 is on par. Why? Well fundamentally, because as is the case 99% of the time the 3090 and its additional horsepower is largely underutilized in this title. This engine is designed to run well at 60fps on an Xbox One. So there is only so much further you can go (i.e. only so much scalability). The reality is that 90%+ people are still gaming on 60hz displays (TVs or Monitors) anyway. So ability to lock to stable 60hz (minimum) is more meaningful than running with an average of 120fps that will largely go unnoticed by most.

NXGamer's point is that if this were a blind test with no prior knowledge of the resolution and frame rate, most people could not perceive the differences (i.e. advantages) of the 3090) while actually playing the game (which is true in like 95% of all of these comparisons anyway). What we have is a case where PS5 is running essentially with a min FPS of 60 (even in high action and cinematics) while the 3090 actually drops below 60fps at times at native 4K ultra. So which one is more desirable? PS5 delivers IQ indistinguishable from native 4K with graphical settings that are close enough to ultra that many won't be able to tell the difference, and a more consistent frame rate in this game. So the overall experience would be pretty close. Considering that 3090/5950 PC is probably at least 5x more expensive than the console, I'd say it's a pretty compelling story.

Shmunter

Dude, that's not what NXGamer said in the video at all. He clearly says the 3090 is running the game at native 4K. That's WAY more pixels than PS5. Several times more pixels, in fact.

It's funny because NXGamer if often criticized for using a RTX 2070 and and what some consider an old Ryzen for his comparisons. They say he used that rig to make PS5 look good in comparison. Now he used a 3090 and... yes, he just wants to make PS5 look good too.

This is why NX laughs at the inept tech debauchery on display

Ok Pipe down PC elitists. Nobody with any common sense would suggest the PS5 has the raw horsepower and capability of an RTX 3090. That's obvious. BUT what you can say is that the overall experience of playing this game on a PS5 compared to a 3090 is on par. Why? Well fundamentally, because as is the case 99% of the time the 3090 and its additional horsepower is largely underutilized in this title. This engine is designed to run well at 60fps on an Xbox One. So there is only so much further you can go (i.e. only so much scalability). The reality is that 90%+ people are still gaming on 60hz displays (TVs or Monitors) anyway. So ability to lock to stable 60hz (minimum) is more meaningful than running with an average of 120fps that will largely go unnoticed by most.

NXGamer's point is that if this were a blind test with no prior knowledge of the resolution and frame rate, most people could not perceive the differences (i.e. advantages) of the 3090) while actually playing the game (which is true in like 95% of all of these comparisons anyway). What we have is a case where PS5 is running essentially with a min FPS of 60 (even in high action and cinematics) while the 3090 actually drops below 60fps at times at native 4K ultra. So which one is more desirable? PS5 delivers IQ indistinguishable from native 4K with graphical settings that are close enough to ultra that many won't be able to tell the difference, and a more consistent frame rate in this game. So the overall experience would be pretty close. Considering that 3090/5950 PC is probably at least 5x more expensive than the console, I'd say it's a pretty compelling story.

"Nobody with any common sense would suggest the PS5 has the raw horsepower and capability of an RTX 3090. " Sentence should have stopped right here.

Shouldn't have. There's something to be said about how fun it is to see people getting triggered the moment somebody suggests the overall experience on a console can be close to a high end pc.

"There's something to be said about how fun it is to see people getting triggered " I don't interact with people who think like this so unfortunately I'll have to place you on ignore. Don't care for toxicity but if thats your Jam go right ahead.

elliot5

I am more curious why there was no XSX data in the video.
Timing between his FH5 coverage and this probably. It's COD. They're always the same thing across all platforms basically, every year. If you know how it looks and runs on PS5 it'll be the same on XSX.

Loope

Guys, guys, leave NXGamer alone but by all means shit on DF as much as you want. I think the point of contention is using a 3090 and despite telling it is rendering natively, still come up and say they look the same. If this was DF with Xbox, shit would get real inclunding the friends that like your post, just saying.

Guys, guys, leave NXGamer alone but by all means shit on DF as much as you want. I think the point of contention is using a 3090 and despite telling it is rendering natively, still come up and say they look the same. If this was DF with Xbox, shit would get real inclunding the friends that like your post, just saying.

DF has done nothing wrong. Kinda wild how its appropriate to bash those guys for doing their jobs.

Top Bottom