• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Ryan McCaffrey "Holy crap they actually DID have the guts to delay Halo Infinite! "

Breath of the Wild was also a cross gen title that played a major role in helping the nintendo switch sell big numbers. I think most people would say that without Breath of the wild the Nintendo switch launch wouldnt have nearly been as successful.

Totally different type of console and audience than the general Xbox player, not really the same thing. Nintendo just came off of a flop of a console that hardly anyone bought, people who wanted to play that game bought the newer console which is also a portable gaming device etc so the hardware was unique as well. The Switch would have done well regardless of Zelda being there.

I love how when this kind of news comes out, these fuckers can’t even pretend they have no bias. They’re so keen to suck on the MS dick to keep in with their developers, that they completely lose any pretence of objectivity.
Yep. The cunt bucket couldn't wait to put out this propaganda piece.

Add in Tom Warren from The Verge as well.

All of them on Phil's nipples at every turn. They can't help themselves. Anyone looking for objectivity from these lot should have their heads examined.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

All of them on Phil's nipples at every turn. They can't help themselves. Anyone looking for objectivity from these lot should have their heads examined.

Yep. Him too. In fact, most of them. I guess it's not that surprising. They're American, and so is XBox, so maybe there's an element of wanting to defend and back your home team, which is fair enough I suppose. But when the bias starts to show so blatantly it does get a bit stomach churning.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not the right move. It's better to stick to a vision than to alter years of work based on internet outrage

Yep. The cunt bucket couldn't wait to put out this propaganda piece.

Agreed. In all honesty I feel a lot of these sites are an extension of PR for the publishers if anything, it’s not journalism. Journalists would, I hope, be a bit more objective or at least be a little questionable of things.

The “I know stuff but won’t say anything further” people are really starting to grate too.

SaucyJack

Ryan is like ....

kUUM1e6.gif

jigglet

Banned
Entrepreneurial courage. I don't get the use of this term. We're not talking about a little scrappy start up here. Or even a small skunkworks project within a big company.
This is a well funded team. lol

Last edited:

Shmunter

Going to have to defend Mcaffrey here. He’s unashamedly an Xbox fan, often makes reference to his younger days with Halo. Halo 5 saddens him because he is such a fan, etc. He runs the IGN Xbox podcast, and has a great interview podcast called Unfiltered. The man is an asset to IGN.

Not sure what can be held against him just for being a fan especially when he’s totally open about it and indeed is not shy of criticism towards his preferred console just as much as he is in support of it. I’m a Sony guy and I can appreciate his candour.

Don’t be assholes. Because everyone has one, and they usually stink.

WellSheet

McCaffery lacks the intelligence to spin convincingly and just comes off looking like the type of Xbot who would cape for the brand on GAF. It’s pathetic that IGN continue to bankroll his carnival of stupid, but here we are.

because it’s new Halo, xBox’s biggest IP, launching on The World’s Most Powerful Console. Phil and co hyped it up and now have to watch the fallout. Your question is like asking “why would Sony fans expect Horizon/GoW/Uncharted/Gt7/Bloodborne 2 to be a huge launch title”.

While I agree with you - I do think there’s an argument to make that, after Halo 4/5 and the MCC, 343’s leadership of the series in last 8 years hasn’t resulted in forward motion; quite the opposite. The series has become a massive saga of diminishing returns for Microsoft and Xbox...and it’s their Flagship series. If someone one were to bring up any of the above PlayStation exclusives you mentioned above, all of those haven’t experienced the decline like Halo has. They’re all fairly forward moving or have massive potential to be forward moving.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Going to have to defend Mcaffrey here. He’s unashamedly an Xbox fan, often makes reference to his younger days with Halo. Halo 5 saddens him because he is such a fan, etc. He runs the IGN Xbox podcast, and has a great interview podcast called Unfiltered. The man is an asset to IGN.

Not sure what can be held against him just for being a fan especially when he’s totally open about it and indeed is not shy of criticism towards his preferred console just as much as he is in support of it. I’m a Sony guy and I can appreciate his candour.

Don’t be assholes. Because everyone has one, and they usually stink.

He's a fan that spins everything in favor of XBox.

I grew up in Buffalo so I'm a fan of the Bills. I criticized Josh Allen non stop until the Dallas game last year.

You can be a fan of something, and still speak honestly about it. He has no interest in speaking honestly about XBox. He's a PR shill for Microsoft.

I still kind of like him, but a douche he most certainly is.

Shmunter

He's a fan that spins everything in favor of XBox.

I grew up in Buffalo so I'm a fan of the Bills. I criticized Josh Allen non stop until the Dallas game last year.

You can be a fan of something, and still speak honestly about it. He has no interest in speaking honestly about XBox. He's a PR shill for Microsoft.

I still kind of like him, but a douche he most certainly is.
Check out Next Gen Console Watch on IGN. He bags MS in open discussions, how they are not doing nowhere near as much as Sony, they need to step up etc.

If he’s doing an Xbox podcast he’s going to be a lot more reserved on there as the audience is likely Xbox and negativity will just have them switch off. We need to be realistic here.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Check out Next Gen Console Watch on IGN. He bags MS in open discussions, how they are not doing nowhere near as much as Sony, they need to step up etc.

If he’s doing an Xbox podcast he’s going to be a lot more reserved on there as the audience is likely Xbox and negativity will just have them switch off. We need to be realistic here.

I've watched most of those. I've yet to hear him "bag on Microsoft". Must be doing it in the ones I missed.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Yep. Him too. In fact, most of them. I guess it's not that surprising. They're American, and so is XBox, so maybe there's an element of wanting to defend and back your home team, which is fair enough I suppose. But when the bias starts to show so blatantly it does get a bit stomach churning.
Amazing, I’ve been gaming since I’m 5 years old (Atari 2600), have owned every single console ever released. This total emotional attachment and loyalty to one single box is simply, weird to me. I love my PS4 Pro and My Xbox one X, and I can’t wait to get both new ones in November.

I mean, people here really think positive news from a game journalist, site, or other source automatically means “bias”.

Oh well, I’m thankful I can enjoy Spiderman, God of War, and bloodborne , as well as Halo, Gears, Forza, and all the new stuff MS is cooking up with their new studios.

Vawn

Banned
How many years did it take to get to the point where it was? A delay doesn't mean the game will be good, it just shows that the game is in such a bad state at the time it should release that even 343 couldn't justify it.

MS needs to pull in a lot if outside help to fix 343's latest mess. And they need to do it fast.

FunkMiller

Amazing, I’ve been gaming since I’m 5 years old (Atari 2600), have owned every single console ever released. This total emotional attachment and loyalty to one single box is simply, weird to me. I love my PS4 Pro and My Xbox one X, and I can’t wait to get both new ones in November.

I mean, people here really think positive news from a game journalist, site, or other source automatically means “bias”.

Oh well, I’m thankful I can enjoy Spiderman, God of War, and bloodborne , as well as Halo, Gears, Forza, and all the new stuff MS is cooking up with their new studios.

Ah, the old 'I've got every console' routine...

A single incidence of a games journalist appearing favourable to one brand or another is indicative of nothing, but I've been paying attention to games media for a long time, and I - like many others - have detected a discernable preference from certain quarters to the American Microsoft brand over the Japanese Sony brand. As I say in my above post, this is not all that surprising. It's natural to support your home team - at least that's the positive spin I choose to put on this perceived bias. I too have owned consoles from both manufacturers, as well as Nintendo, but this does not mean that my critical faculties have deserted me completely, and I am more than able to detect an obvious preference for one over the other from some of the media outlets that are out there.

Hope this doesn't turn out to be mass effect andromeda type situation. But right now all signs points to it, hear me out.

- Mass Effect Andromeda was delayed on multiple occasions.
-Mass Effect Andromeda had an inexperienced ME team working on it
-Mass Effect Andromeda had it's development shift efforts from one engine to another (Frostbite tech) which caused headaches for development.
-Mass Effect Andromeda launched to a buggier retail release with janky looking character models and facial animations

-Halo Infinite initially announced some two years ago.
-Halo Infinite team sees major development members quit the project.
-Halo Infinite sees its efforts of making the game shift from one engine to another (slipspace or whatever it is called)
-Halo Infinite's debut gameplay showing looks weak with low poly textures, pop ins. But most important of all it's the reveal of craig that leads to the backlash. Craig demands a full story about him and his family in the fictional universe.
-Halo Infinite is now delayed.

what if the game is beyond repair and this delay wouldn't help them salvage much it'd still be a lackluster release? I hope I am wrong because Halo is a tent-pole series and Xbox consumers deserve the best and Microsoft needs to deliver the best!

That game didnt have a pandemic happen the year of its release. And by the way, TLOU2 got delayed twice and so did cyberpunk. This year has been fucked up.

343 still have a lot to prove, but stop acting like this is a bad thing. Its not. It would have been much worse to force launch this game just to have it day1 with XSX.

Im personally shocked they actually did it. I was sure they were going to launch it one way or another and im glad i was wrong.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
giphy.gif

Delaying Halo makes them look shaky there's more games out there first of all there should be punishment for getting gamers pre orders, very odd decision. Normal you announce, hype, beta, demo and launch, Halo and Master chief are the face of Xbox so this is an unacceptable decision. Gamers should be getting Halo under their Christmas trees this year.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Shouldn't he be sitting in a dark room still trying to finish Alien Isolation?

Whenever I hop over to IGN it makes me remember how shitty they've become. They've pretty much turned into a launchpad into working for a games publisher as a mouthpiece.

VN1X

Banned
Halo Halo Halo! You can catch all the Halo here where we we will be discussing all the Halo all the time! It's all here and it's all Halo all the time. Thousands and thousands of words of Halo all year 'round!

McCaffrey is a giant douche. His entire existence is to make the XBox brand look good.

Delaying Halo is indeed a bold move. They ready to hurt their console launch over quality of the game. They could have easily released it like Sea of thieves and fixed it with updates but no they decided to give it a full delay. Its bold and right move regardless of what Ryan is saying.

Top Bottom