• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's journalists says Xbox should kill Grounded and TOW2/DLC and have them work TES6

Aion002

sarcastic sarcasm GIF

I guess they work at the right place...

reksveks

Grounded is kinda like Sea of Thieves as in it is kind of liked by its user base and is moderately successful but none of the major game journalists plays it so its always underplayed.

On the Avowed suggestion, why would you kill having two chances to make a great WRPG when you aren't sure to double the chances to make one great WRPG.

Last edited:

Hugare

Imagine getting paid to say this shit

Ryan Mccaffrey is one of the most stupid "journalists" that I've seen yet on this industry

Everything that I hear coming out from this man's mouth is just nonsense. He is wrong 99% of the time, its pretty incredible.

Alien Isolation's review score is just the tip of the iceberg.

And somehow, he is an editor at IGN, right? Talk about failing upwards

Last edited:

perkelson

Well Obsidian slumped down on quality. I doubt they can make good game now that tries to be AAA. Outher worlds as much as i wanted to love it was just hollow husk with theme that supposed to last through whole game and gets boring 2-3 hours in.

On other hand Avoved is based on Eora setting which they basically killed with POE1 where they basically resolved all mysteries of that world also it is probably headed by Sawyer which thinks that +2% to damage is meaningful perk/trait or stat.

Shubh_C63

Man I wish I didn't dislike Ryan Mcaffery.

Don't know how this guy holds podcast and interviews. He stumbles and loses his chain of thought so much.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I guess the grounded team could help make a theoretical co-op experience feel better if TES 6 were to have 2-4 player co-op.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Shocking take. In the past Microsoft were pummelled for ‘forcing’ Rare to make Kennect games. Now they’ve seemingly learned from this and give their devs free reign but now people want to force Obsidian to make Fallout or Double Fine to make Conker. You can’t have it both ways, let them do what they’re doing.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Kill Grounded? Are they absolutely fucking stupid? lmao isn't it very popular amongst kids/teens and the like, as well as being a console exclusive?

Why in the everliving fuck would they do that?
Because TES VI will be console-exclusive for the Xbox. The take here is they cannot have it released towards the end of the generation when it won't matter anymore, as more and more people will be invested in PS5. The action plan, while brutal and will not go well with a lot of people, is actually quite a sound one.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Shocking take. In the past Microsoft were pummelled for ‘forcing’ Rare to make Kennect games. Now they’ve seemingly learned from this and give their devs free reign but now people want to force Obsidian to make Fallout or Double Fine to make Conker. You can’t have it both ways, let them do what they’re doing.
This is not about 'free reign' or 'forcing' devs. If TES VI is indeed a console-exclusive game now you no longer benefit from the expanded XSX+PS5 market. If that was the case releasing towards the end of the generation makes sense since your install base for full priced product is the largest. As a console-exclusive game the main factor becomes speed of release, especially since Sony is coming out of the gate really strong this gen.

Banjo64

cumsessed
This is not about 'free reign' or 'forcing' devs. If TES VI is indeed a console-exclusive game now you no longer benefit from the expanded XSX+PS5 market. If that was the case releasing towards the end of the generation makes sense since your install base for full priced product is the largest. As a console-exclusive game the main factor becomes speed of release, especially since Sony is coming out of the gate really strong this gen.
I disagree mate. I can definitely see where you are coming from, but to me they can’t rush it by importing other studios to help. If it comes out late gen, so be it. Obsidian should make The Outer Worlds DLC and focus on their Series S|X patch which was confirmed a while ago. The small Grounded team should carry on as is and then whenever there’s availability they should be able to help with Avowed if that’s what Obsidian want. Bathesda are focusing on Starfield right now so make that the best game it can be, without worrying about TeS, and Starfield may end up being a system seller on its own.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The only thing Xbox/Microsoft needs to do is to put some pressure on Howard and his team to get their shit in check and finish those games they are working on and stop fucking around. I can only imagine how often they revamped the development of Starfield alone.

Pallas

Because TES VI will be console-exclusive for the Xbox. The take here is they cannot have it released towards the end of the generation when it won't matter anymore, as more and more people will be invested in PS5. The action plan, while brutal and will not go well with a lot of people, is actually quite a sound one.
Killing Grounded won’t make TESVI release any sooner, remember only a handful of devs are working on it and it’s more of a pet project. Bethesda will get what they need to finish TESVI, but let’s get Starfield out first, since it’s further along.

CAB_Life

Wasn't grounded just a cheap passion project with surprisingly good reviews and numbers? Why would thy kill that?

IGN seems to have fallen ill to Twitter Montezuma's Revenge, where they feel compelled to constantly expel verbal diarrhea to maintain some measure of relevance.

GHG

Gold Member
Wow, really? I only played Grounded a little bit and decided I wanted to wait to play it after it was complete. I did really like what I saw of the game, but I loved Subnautica so that's very high praise.

Yeh I think it will be up there with the best the genre has to offer once done. People shouldn't be fooled by the honey I shrunk the kids cartoony vibe the game has going for it, it's got a decent amount of depth and has something for all ages.

The survival elements and grind that you typically find in the genre are kept light so the focus is more on exploration and improving your knowledge of the game world (and the things you can craft) which is what I prefer.

I figured Avowed was dead the moment they announced the Bethesda purchase. It was clearly thier attempt to take a piece of that fallout/skyrim pie but now you own Bethesda it feels like treading on your own toes little.
Cancelling Grounded is a bad take but it would likely be better if part of the team work with Bethesda on ES6 than build Avowed alongside it. (That's assuming it was thier 'Skyrim ' which tbf the trailer heavily hinted at).
Then again all PS games atm are 3rd person cinematic so maybe the more the merrier?

harmny

Banned
They have a point though. Their solution won't solve the issue. But what they mean is we don't even know when starfield is gonna be released. Let's say at the end of this or next year. Only then they'll start working on tes vi so we are looking at what a 2026-2027 game? At that point it's going to be almost a decade since the game was announced.

Not good for series x. It's going to be cyberpunk all over again. A game coming out late in a generation running like crap on an old console and people repeating like parrots "10 YEARS OF DEVELOPMENT FOR THIS!?" when in fact they made the game in just 4

Last edited:

xiseerht

I'm surprised Ryan McAffrey had that take. He's a big Xbox guy. I would think he'd want as much diversity and as many projects to come out of Microsoft's acquisitions as possible. Sure, they need some big games but those are going to come regardless of a side project and DLC support for a game of the year nominee. Killing those isn't going to change much. You're not getting Elder Scrolls 6 any time soon. Let the devs take their time with it. Throwing more people at the project isn't going to make it a quality title. Look at some of Ubisoft's games that had 500 to 1000 people working on them.
No , he really does not want diversity . If you listen to enough of the IGN Unlocked podcast it is pretty clear he wants more games that are just like Playstation Single player based games.

xiseerht

Grounded is kinda like Sea of Thieves as in it is kind of liked by its user base and is moderately successful but none of the major game journalists plays it so its always underplayed.

On the Avowed suggestion, why would you kill having two chances to make a great WRPG when you aren't sure to double the chances to make one great WRPG.
You nailed it. There is a reason Grounded and Sea of Thieves is always getting updated. Because they both are making money and have a nice size fan base .

I figured Avowed was dead the moment they announced the Bethesda purchase. It was clearly thier attempt to take a piece of that fallout/skyrim pie but now you own Bethesda it feels like treading on your own toes little.
Cancelling Grounded is a bad take but it would likely be better if part of the team work with Bethesda on ES6 than build Avowed alongside it. (That's assuming it was thier 'Skyrim ' which tbf the trailer heavily hinted at).
Then again all PS games atm are 3rd person cinematic so maybe the more the merrier?
The more different games we have, the better it is.

Though I agree, that XGS has an issue with lackluster games.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Avowed isn’t dead at all. Western RPG set in the Pillars of Eternity universe by the makers of Fallout New Vegas and The Outer Worlds. The game is Obsidian’s passion project and is going to review well and be hugely popular. I’m marginally more hyped for Avowed than I am for TeS 6.

Not to mention Microsoft and Zeni would have been speaking for a long time prior to August 2020 (when it became public knowledge). Avowed was announced July 2020.

Last edited:

swaffles23

I want Elder Scrolls VI as much as anybody but that's not the way to go.

Getting the games you have been passionately working on for years cancelled is a way to cause apathy in the studio

reksveks

Grounded is early access
Bleeding Edge is dead

Both are example of Microsoft allowing publishers to do what they want. Bleeding Edge was an internal project from before Microsoft.

Top Bottom