• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: "Xbox Game Pass Is Having its Best Stretch Ever"

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The detractors of Xbox Game Pass are running out of goalposts to move. One of the last remaining legitimate gripes against Microsoft’s game-subscription service is that it’s been more like basic cable rather than HBO. In other words, plenty of good stuff, but very little content that’s truly top-shelf. But just two months into 2023, that argument seems toast too. Take a look at the roll that Xbox Game Pass has gotten started, and how long it’s set to keep going:
  • Hi-Fi Rush (January 25) – Many pixels’ worth of well-deserved digital ink have been spilled writing about Tango Gameworks’s viral, shadow-dropped hit. Microsoft didn’t just release a first-party game out of nowhere, it released a much-needed amazing first-party game out of nowhere. IGN gave it a 9 out of 10, and fellow critics agreed, with a Metacritic rating of 88 on Xbox and 89 on PC.
  • Just four weeks later, Atomic Heart (February 21) hit Game Pass as it earned an 8 out of 10 from IGN. This highly anticipated first-person shooter has captivated gamers for a few years now, and its release did not disappoint. It’s a third-party game available on PlayStation, sure, but it’ll cost you $70 over there.
  • Those two have started the year strong for the service, but fast-forward a mere 10 days (March 3) and Game Pass keeps another potential $70 in your pocket when Team Ninja’s promising new Soulslike, Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, marks another big third-party game doing the day-one thing for subscribers.
  • Still in March (on the 28th), Sony’s own first-party baseball sim, MLB The Show 23, won’t cost Game Pass subscribers another dime for the third consecutive year. This is extra cool for an annual sports game, where many players don’t purchase it every year. Game Pass subscribers don’t have to worry about that.
  • We move to April (specifically April 18), when Minecraft Legends will see the light of day on all major platforms – but only Xbox gamers can just download it from Game Pass without swiping their credit card for an additional charge. Another dub.
  • Meanwhile, May will be only a day old when Redfall, the next major game from the decorated developers at Arkane Austin (makers of Dishonored 1 and 2 along with Prey) hits Xbox Game Pass on May 2.
Finally, if Starfield does make it out by the end of June – which I know many gamers doubt at this point, given the relative radio silence from Bethesda, but I still believe it’s in play – then Xbox Game Pass will have delivered quality and quantity, big games and small, across a wide variety of genres in the first half of 2023. It’ll do that even without Starfield, really, but obviously The Next Game From the Makers of Fallout and Elder Scrolls would put quite a bow on the first six months of the year. Xbox Game Pass is unquestionably riding the hottest streak yet since its birth in 2017, and the big winner is us.

Justin Bieber Popcorn GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Age of Empires 2 also, and Goldeneye, and Soul Hackers 2. Its a pretty solid deal. Benedict Fox in April.

I mean .... I enjoy it. Guess I'm a fucking moron.

Yeah, the article is mostly focusing on big day 1 releases. Each month mentioned has more notable releases as well. EG, Feb is getting Shadow Warriors 3 Definitive Edition, along with the ones you mentioned.

We’ll see, but I’ll be really surprised if Starfield makes it out in June 2023 in a playable state. That’s only a few months off and it seems like we are not getting much footage of it at all. Don’t they have a show coming up dedicated to it soon? Guess you never know. Maybe they are further along than we think.

Antwix

Are we pretending poorly received games are must-have releases now?
Huh? Atomic Heart is sitting at 88% positive on Steam with a 38k steam user peak which obviously doesn't include Game Pass numbers. I saw multiple people here saying Returnal and LaD:Ishin was a success (just to pick another recent releases) and Returnal had a 6.7k steam user peak and sitting at an 80% positive on Steam. LaD:Ishin had a peak of 8.4k and 86% positive on Steam. Not saying Atomic Heart is some masterpiece but why exactly is this game poorly received?

And cue the usual one liner shit on everything. What fun they must be to have over for a gaming session, they're that person that everyone just wants to shut the fuck up while the group enjoys something fun for a laugh.

Gamepass has been good, it's not going to be stellar every month but the list of games my family has been through in the last 18 months and what is in store for this year is the best gaming in decades. I've been racing, looting, shooting, platforming, coop-ing, versus, showing my kids older titles and generally gotten out of my own gaming funk of sticking with a key few games to play. The variety and value on offer with Gamepass combined with day 1 releases and a cross play/ecosystem is too good. The rest of the industry are far behind in a number of areas. Xbox first party is catching up, real soon too. I wonder what goal posts will shift in the coming years.

Last edited:
I don’t think many people hate the service as much as they are highly skeptical of its long time financial viability.
MS already said it was profitable. Believe it or not people stay subscribed to it for the long term not just for new games but old games. If MS Activision deal approves, MS will have all the older COD games on game pass.

That is almost 20 titles from a popular franchise.

The Alien

Banned
Use GamePass. Enjoy it. TBH, of those games, only really looking forward to Redfall.

I think MS still havent got their cadence together yet. Once all their studios actually start syncing releases, more timely 3rd party stuff...and the AKB stuff, itd be pretty unstoppable.

Top Bottom