• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Top 10 Resident Evil Games

I will never understand the admiration for RE2 Remake; great game, but vastly inferior to the original. Remake 1 is a true masterpiece and a better game than the original. Re4 is indeed worthy of its mythical status. RE3 original is another great one and the remake isn’t as bad as people make it out to be; it’s a fun romp. CV is a great solid entry to the franchise. 7 has a strong start with the Bakers house but completely falls apart once you get to the ship. 8 has much better pacing and overall funner to play than 7. 6, despite being bloated and unfocused, is good fun.

All in all, the best Resident Evil game ever made is the original Resident Evil 2.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The only good thing about Resident Evil 6 😏

JLijog2.jpg
YIelnng.jpg
QMI1JuX.jpg
kC3Yjbn.jpg
PM6U60M.png

Are you my lost brother? We think exactly the same.

ssringo

Are you my lost brother? We think exactly the same.
I'm on (mostly) the same page. Sexy adult Sherry was certainly great but I also liked the idea of her being or leading the next generation of main characters in the franchise so Chris and Leon could retire or at least move to a more supportive or administrative role.

And I honestly didn't hate Jake. Or at least the idea of his character being parallel to Sherry's with their fucked up dads being responsible for a lot of their world's problems with bio weapons.

Kinda hope they don't vanish adult Sherry like they did Rebecca.

My favourite is the original RE2. It's the game that essentially got me into survival horror gaming.

No matter what, I'll always be appreciative of it, even if the franchise has gone downhill gradually since 2005.

We doing top 10 REs? We doing top 10 REs, here are mine as of this writing:

10.) Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D- For a long time I wanted a full on Mercenaries game, and this game is a decent take on it! Many fan favorite characters and levels to take on, solo or co op.
9.) Resident Evil 3 R- Color me surprised I beat an RE game on the day of it's release! It was a decent ish overall.
8.) Resident Evil 2 R- A third person RE that excelled at exploration? Count me in! This is a fun take on the original game that wasn't afraid to make changes to the original
7.) Resident Evil 3 Nemesis- Can't say this is high on my list, but I do love the music in this one, and the classic edition of the 180 degree turn and other features too, gave it an edge of experimentation.
6.) Resident Evil 1996- The one that started it all! The fight or flight survival horror gameplay stands out in this one as later games focused more and more on action. Jill the master of unlocking...
5.) Resident Evil CODE Veronica X- Claire meets Chris in game! Such a great survival horror epic in many ways, from storyline, gameplay, length, etc.
4.) Resident Evil Zero- Love the two characters at the same time. The bigger focus on inventory management gives me huge survival horror vibes. Spending longer times in the environments in this game compared to other REs helps them grow on you more imo
3.) Resident Evil 4- Such a nostalgic action horror game, that didn't lose the series flavor while evolving the gameplay.
2.) Resident Evil REmake- GOAT remake in video games. Expanded on the OG in the right ways
1.) Resident Evil 2 1998- GOAT RE game that got me into the series! Best zapping system in survival horror imo, still many variations I haven't played that often as Claire A is my main scenario I play.

RE4 and RE1 Remake for the GameCube are the best for me.

That is such a mainstream "ign" list if I've ever seen one. Playing up to what is most recent/popular and glossing over most old stuff. Like how you gonna have some of those and not re:cv? Not even having original re2 or re3 on the list at all ..so dumb

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Despite his previous attempts, Wesker still somehow has seven minutes to spare, and he has every intention on using each one of those minutes on locating the real Chris Redfield.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

With the launch of Resident Evil 4 Remake, we went back and walk through the entire series in chronological order, and follow the adventures of S.T.A.R.S. and the civilians of Raccoon City as they face off against the Umbrella Corporation over and over again.

The video game franchise is known for its survival horror gameplay, and it has grown into a multimedia franchise that includes console games, films, Netflix series, novels, comics, and even stage plays. The franchise features a grand mythology with recurring characters that face Biohazard threats created by the evil Umbrella Corporation over several decades and numerous games.

The video guide focuses on 12 Resident Evil games, including the 10 core entries and the two Revelations spin-offs. The chronological order of the games starts with Resident Evil Zero, which takes place just before the events of the first Resident Evil game. The game features special tactics and rescue service (STARS) medic Rebecca Chambers and former Marine Billy Cohen, who investigate a mysterious train crash and uncover valuable information about series villains Albert Wesker and William Birkin, as well as the origins of the Umbrella Corporation and its deadly t-virus.

Resident Evil 1 picks up directly after the events of Resident Evil Zero, where players take on the role of one of two stars agents, Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine, who come to the Spencer Mansion while investigating a series of murders in the woodlands outside of Raccoon City. The two protagonists will encounter the murderous mutated victims of the t-virus and uncover key information about the Umbrella Corporation and its biological experimentation.

Resident Evil 2 introduces two new protagonists, rookie cop Leon Kennedy and Chris's sister Claire Redfield, two months after the events of Resident Evil 1. Leon and Claire each have their own connected yet distinct campaign, with Leon experiencing his first day as a Raccoon City police officer, while Claire is looking for her brother, getting wrapped up in the dark Umbrella conspiracy. Resident Evil 2 also introduces recurring characters Ada Wong, Sherry Birkin, and the iconic Tyrant enemy. Players learn more about William Birkin and his work on an even more threatening virus called the g-virus while uncovering more disturbing details about the clandestine work of the Umbrella Corporation, as well as its ties to the Raccoon Police Department.

Resident Evil 3 takes place before and after Resident Evil 2, and players take on the role of Jill Valentine, who is still coping with her experience from Resident Evil 1 and ready to leave Raccoon City behind for good. The game concludes the Raccoon City saga, with the city getting blown up at the end to try and contain the zombie outbreak.

Resident Evil Code Veronica advances the timeline by a couple of months and sees Claire Redfield continue the search for her brother Chris that began in Resident Evil 2. This time, her search takes her to an Umbrella facility in France, where she escapes captivity alongside an inmate named Steve Burnside. The pair of fallout Umbrella's trail to the southernmost region of Earth, Antarctica. Chris Redfield returns as a second playable character, and the siblings finally reunite at the edge of the world, but the reunion includes another familiar face as well, Albert Wesker.

Resident Evil 4 puts players back in the shoes of Leon Kennedy, six years after his first encounter with the t-virus. The game takes place in Spain, where Leon must rescue the President's daughter, who has been kidnapped by a cult. The game is widely considered the series' most beloved entry, with players taking on hordes of infected enemies in a thrilling, action-packed adventure.

The remaining games in the video guide are Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6, Resident Evil 7 Biohazard, and Resident Evil Village, which are the other core Resident Evil games. While many other games are considered canon, the video guide only focuses on the 12

Minsc

Gold Member
Is the new RE4 2023 version that terrible? I skimmed down and didn't see it listed once, just RE4 with no year, which would imply the original version.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Is the new RE4 2023 version that terrible? I skimmed down and didn't see it listed once, just RE4 with no year, which would imply the original version.
This list is from October last year... RE4 remake is as good as RE2 remake. Both games still kneel to REmake and RE4 original.

darrylgorn

Just goes to show how the fixed camera perspective was hampering the games.

Yes, they were also good for the time but entirely skippable (including the remakes with fixed perspective).

Astral Dog

I don't understand why IGN list is relevant but now that i look closer at this i have a few corrections 🤭

RE6 above RE5? 🤨
RE Revelations shouldn't be anywhere on that list
RE3 Remake is overrated just place the original RE3 if you must.

Here is mine

Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil CVX/Darkside Chronicles
Resident Evil Zero
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Resident Evil 2/Remake
Resident Evil 8
Resident Evil 7
Resident Evil 1/REmake
Resident Evil 4

Last edited:
I love RE6, gameplay is fantastic, combat is hype and cool, many stories... great replay value. One of the best IMO, come at me!

My top 5;

-Re4
-Re1r
-Re2
-Re6
-Re7

Worst by faaaar is Village.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

After Resident Evil was put through the wringer in the PS3/Xbox 360 era and the early PS4/Xbox One era, it was hard to believe that the franchise would ever get back to its glory days.

The developer has done the impossible though- not only has it restored its famous horror series back to the top, it has even taken it to completely new heights. Resident Evil is now in the best shape of its life, and here, we're going to go through all of its mainline games and rank them from worst to best.

Games Ranked From Worst to Best​

Capcom's Resident Evil franchise has had its ups and downs, but it has now been restored to its former glory with even greater heights reached. In this article, we will be ranking all of its Mainline games from worst to best, including all narrative Mainline Resident Evil games and remakes.

Resident Evil 6​

Resident Evil 6 is the undisputed worst game in the franchise, with its ambition lauded on paper but failed in execution. The game lacks horror and instead turned itself into a cheesy over-the-top action experience where the villain turned into a dinosaur, and highways exploded for no good reason. The game's story is incoherent, and it fails to recontextualize past events in the series in any meaningful way. This game is entirely skippable.

Resident Evil Zero​

Resident Evil Zero has some redeeming qualities, such as amazing visuals and a solid setting that evokes the survival horror aesthetic of the franchise's early days. However, it fails to execute some of its new ideas, such as having no item boxes, and inventory management becomes an absolute chore. The game's protagonist, Billy Cohen, is also one of the most underwhelming in the franchise.

Resident Evil 5​

Resident Evil 5 is emblematic of what was wrong with the series in that era, with almost no survival horror nature. However, it's an accomplished shooter with excellent 1v1 shootouts, and it's hugely important to the franchise's narrative. Although poorly used, the character of Joe Valentine bemoaned. The characterization of Wesker and how his story is wrapped up is a plus.

Resident Evil Revelations 2​

Resident Evil Revelations 2 pulls things back to the franchise's roots and delivers an experience that feels much more like what a Resident Evil game should be, with the right mix of horror and action. It's consistently fun to play and revolves around a solid cast of characters, from excellent newcomers like Moira and Natalya to series stalwarts like Claire and Barry.

Resident Evil Code Veronica​

Resident Evil Code Veronica may not have touched the heights of its immediate predecessors, but it was still a solid Resident Evil outing. The game had an excellent setting and told a story that remains incredibly pivotal to the series' overarching narrative. Having Claire and Chris in a game together was also something of a dream come true for fans, though it made some questionable choices in terms of both story and gameplay.

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis​

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis was the last game in the series' original run, and it was a worthy farewell. The game's Nemesis enemy remains one of the most iconic in the franchise, and the game's emphasis on action and set pieces was a welcome change of pace. Although some fans felt that the game was too short, it remains one of the franchise's most memorable games.

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard​

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard is a return to form for the franchise, with a renewed emphasis on horror and a fresh perspective with the game's first-person perspective. The game's setting in the Baker family's plantation is one of the franchise's most memorable locations, and the game's story has some genuinely disturbing moments.

Resident Evil​

The original Resident Evil game remains a classic, with its fixed-camera angles, tank controls, and iconic moments. The game's mansion setting and its emphasis on survival horror set the standard for the franchise and survival horror games in general. The game's remake is also excellent and adds some modern touches to the game while remaining faithful to the original.

Resident Evil 4​

Resident Evil 4 is a groundbreaking game that revolutionized the survival horror genre when it was first released in 2005. The game features a new over-the-shoulder camera perspective, which was a significant departure from the fixed camera angles used in previous Resident Evil games. The game's combat system was also vastly improved, with more fluid and intuitive controls that allowed for more dynamic and intense gameplay. The story follows Leon S. Kennedy, who is sent to a remote Spanish village to rescue the President's daughter from a group of cultists. The game's tense atmosphere and thrilling set pieces make it a must-play for fans of the genre.

Yoshi97

I fixed the list:

10. Resident Evil 4 (Zeebo)
9. Resident Evil 2 (Remake)
8. Resident Evil 4 (360/PS3)
7. Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
6. Resident Evil 4 (VR)
5. Resident Evil 4 (Switch)
4. Resident Evil 4 (GC)
3. Resident Evil 4 (Wii)
2. Resident Evil 4 (Remake)
1. Resident Evil 4 (HD mod pack)

GymWolf

Lol absolute shit list, imagine putting re7 and 8 over rebirth or r3make over the original or 6 over 5, and both revelations titles are in?:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Not that i was expecting a good list from these hacks...

That topic about ign being the best is aging like fine cum.

Last edited:
Top Bottom