• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Top 10 PSP Games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The PSP represented PlayStation's first major foray into the world of handhelds. As the most powerful handheld at the time, it introduced a number of memorable games based on existing PlayStation franchises, some impressive third-party support, and a format that has stood the test of time and been a hallmark of technology since, the UMD.

OK, no, UMD's may not still be, or ever were, quite the industry standard, but the PSP still delivered on a number of incredible games throughout its life. Looking back on that little console, we decided to cull together a list of the ten best PSP games of all time, prioritizing games that took advantage of the hardware and represent the ingenuity of developers to bring some amazing franchises to handheld life. So, without further ado, here are our top 10 PSP games of all time.

Peace walker and the GTA for me.
10. Daxter
9. GTA: Liberty City Stories
8. God of War: Ghost of Sparta
7. Kingdom Hears: Birth by Sleep
6. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7
5. Lumines
4. Persona 3 Portable
3. Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite
2. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
1. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
PSP was my first PlayStation device ever. It gave me my first taste of God of War, Metal Gear Solid, Persona, Daxter, GTA, Final Fantasy and several other franchises. Loved that thing.

Whats the list?

10. Daxter
5. Lumines
4. Persona 3 Portable

Nautilus

Banned
PSP was my first PlayStation device ever. It gave me my first taste of God of War, Metal Gear Solid, Persona, Daxter, GTA, Final Fantasy and several other franchises. Loved that thing.

10. Daxter
5. Lumines
4. Persona 3 Portable
Borth by Sleep on the list already makes the list valid...

... But then I notice that there is no FF Duodecim, making the list useless.

mansoor1980

where the fuck is ridge racer? not a single mention of............................

kaz_riiidge_racer9lsu6.gif

fart town usa

Gold Member
Resistance Retribution should have been on there. Best story in any resistance title. Great controls considering lack of dual analog. Gameplay is great. You can also connect it to your PS3 if you have Resistance 2 and 'infect' the game. Makes it playable in dual analog via the PS3 controller and makes your character infected so his health recharges and you can swim underwater and access new areas. Also makes the game more challenging cause it disables aim-assist.

There was also online PvP which I heard was good.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 is pretty baller as well.

Last edited:

stranno

I was a big fan of Rengoku 1/2, even being rated among the worst PSP games ever developed. I find them fun and combat can be pretty complex. You can skip Tower of Puragatory (1) since Stairway to HEAVEN (2) is just a remake of the first game + a new tower, which is the main scenario. It's basically the first game, but much better.

I love IGN. They just downloaded their own old-ass videos and thrown into a PSP frame, with insane crappy quality and a mismatch of old logos. It's probably the laziest thing I have seen in 2022 so far :messenger_tears_of_joy: You can expect that from those absolutely stupid TOP10 channels, but IGN? Come oooooon.

Resistance Retribution should have been on there. Best story in any resistance title. Great controls considering lack of dual analog. Gameplay is great. You can also connect it to your PS3 if you have Resistance 2 and 'infect' the game. Makes it playable in dual analog via the PS3 controller and makes your character infected so his health recharges and you can swim underwater and access new areas. Also makes the game more challenging cause it disables aim-assist.

I'm a big fan of Bend Studio and, to be honest, didn't enjoy Retribution too much, it's just a mediocre mod of Syphon Filter: Longan's Shadow. Imo Nihilistic's Burning Skies is infinite times better (one of the most underrated games on Vita).

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Used to love my hacked PSP to death, I sold it like a moron tho just like my all my old consoles. I think I miss my DS and PSP the most

stn

My personal favorites are FF Dissidia 012, Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble, Tekken Dark Resurrection, Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny, 3rd Birthday, Ghosts of Sparta, and Burnout Legends. I still play the PSP so there are some other titles I am going through which may eventually make the list.

PSP was an awesome handheld. They had everything to make PS Vita awesome coming from that, and they just crashed and burned by misfiring everything and then losing interest. They only had to do PSP 2. No gimmicks, no PS3 lite, just specwise better than 3DS and more conventional at that.

PSP Go is the best handheld ever if you consider it's form factor and homebrew capabilities.

Last edited:

Deerock71

I know they put it as an honorable mention, but it's total bullshit that they put Final Fantasy Tactics on there instead of Tactics Ogre.
Don't forget 'Let Us Cling Together'. The end of the Tactics Ogre title made it sound like an ad for Bounce fabric softener.

SegaShack

I feel like Resistance and Little Big Planet PSP got ignored since they were at the end of the systems life. Both were great though. System even got mod nation racers.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I feel like Resistance and Little Big Planet PSP got ignored since they were at the end of the systems life. Both were great though. System even got mod nation racers.
Yea, I had LBP and MNR too. LBP PSP was probably my favorite version of the game cause it lacked the floaty physics, lol. I thought the controls felt better even though they were a downgrade so to speak.

Never really took to MNR, the driving controls just felt really stiff. I blame is on Mario Kart but still, it was a solid game with a lot of content.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Hot shots golf open tee
Metal gear acid 2
Loco Roco 2
Gradius Collection
Tekken Dark Resurrection
Fight Night

Were my personal favs, none of which were on the list, lol

Tunned

Whilst I agree with GTA LCS, GTA VCS was even better, I would swap one for the other. Otherwise nice list and amazing handheld (especially when jailbroken).

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm a big fan of Bend Studio and, to be honest, didn't enjoy Retribution too much, it's just a mediocre mod of Syphon Filter: Longan's Shadow. Imo Nihilistic's Burning Skies is infinite times better (one of the most underrated games on Vita).
Yea, never played Logan's Shadow, always heard great things about it though. I just thought Retribution was insanely impressive for a handheld game. Graphics still hold up and I thought the narrative was really solid for a series that never really found its way.

I don't know much about Burning Skies but glad you mentioned it, I could never remember the name. Someday I'll buy a used Vita.

stranno

Yea, never played Logan's Shadow, always heard great things about it though. I just thought Retribution was insanely impressive for a handheld game. Graphics still hold up and I thought the narrative was really solid for a series that never really found its way.
Those weird underwater levels were the main improvement of Logan's Shadow over Dark Mirror, which of course makes much more sense on Syphon Filter than on Resistance.

Parodius Collection
Everybody's Golf
Ridge Racers
Sid Meier's Pirates
Jeanne d'Arc
Out Run 2006
Burnout Legends
Bad Ass Rumble
Loco Roco
I am an Air Traffic Controller

Those are probably my favourites in no particular order. I've never played Tactics Ogre, and I never got into Monster Hunter.

The PSP is absolutely amazing. I got mine on launch morning, and nothing else in gaming has ever made my jaw drop as much as Ridge Racers' incredible graphics, by handheld standards. Only ten days earlier I'd picked up a launch DS, and been amazed to have Mario 64 on a handheld. But the PSP made the DS seem like a disappointment initially. I thought it would blow the DS away. Nobody knew the DS would be an all-conquering monster.

That was a great time for handheld gaming. The two systems were so different and complemented each other perfectly. Unprecedented handheld power on the PSP and incredible innovation on the DS.

I loved the saved game icons on the PSP which sometimes played a little video when selected. Everybody's Golf was the best example.

After DS and Switch the PSP is the console I have most games for. Love it.

Peace walker lol.not only is it the worst mgs game but it's one of the worst games on the psp. Missions that have 2 enemies and you can finish in 10 seconds by running through.

Stupid story where snake wants to fuck a robot

Top Bottom