• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The 10 Best Zelda Games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

For 36 years, Link has been traversing the fields and ruins of Hyrule in a seemingly never ending quest to save Princess Zelda. His journey has spanned many consoles, redefining the franchise in many ways. From its humble beginnings on the NES to the groundbreaking 3D action-adventure in Ocarina of Time, we decided to take a look back at The Legend of Zelda's impressive history in gaming, bringing you the very best mainline Zelda games, ranked.

#10 Twilight Princess 0:38
#9 Oracle of Ages/Seasons 1:37
#8 Legend of Zelda (NES) 2:34
#7 A Link Between Worlds 3:31
#6 Link's Awakening 4:32
#5 Wind Waker 5:44
#4 Majora's Mask 6:59
#3 Ocarina of Time 8:11
#2 Link to the Past 9:17
#1 Breath of the Wild 10:30

Neff

10. A Link Between Worlds
9. The Minish Cap
8. The Legend of Zelda
7. The Adventure of Link
6. Skyward Sword
5. Twilight Princess
4. Ocarina of Time
3. Breath of the Wild
2. Link's Awakening
1. A Link to the Past

Punished Miku

Gold Member
  1. Twilight Princess
  2. Breath of the Wild
  3. Ocarina of Time
  4. Triforce Heroes
  5. Wind Waker
  6. Link Between Worlds
  7. Skyward Sword
  8. Majora's Mask
  9. Link to the Past
  10. Link's Awakening (remake)

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Link's Awakening needs to move one position up from the bottom, putting it above the one with the train where it belongs.

kunonabi

1. Skyward Sword
2. A Link to the Past
3. Spirit Tracks
4. Twilight Princess
5. 4 Swords Adventures
6. The Adventure of Link
7. A Link Between Worlds
8. The Legend of Zelda
9. Majora's Mask
10. Phantom Hourglass

Probably a little different than the last time I made the list but feels right at the moment.

Otre

Banned
Any list without Skyward Sword is a good list. For me, id put Breath of The Wild below Link to the Past and Ocarina. Other than that, pretty solid list.

edit: kunonabi kunonabi Did no see your list while i was writing this. Its pretty shit but im glad to see different opinions other than Ocarina is the best.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I loved Twilight Princess. My favorite was probably LTTP though or BOTW. Only one I didn't play was Majora's Mask. Will have to play it some day.

Handel

A surprisingly respectable list out of IGN, especially giving Link's Awakening it's due as better than some of the 3D entries, and clearly better than every 2D entry not named ALTTP. I favor the Zelda games with more narrative and character focus, so Majora's Mask, Link's Awakening and Wind Waker are my top three.

KàIRóS

I'm still not buying BOTW being more influential than OoT, that game streamlined so much stuff when 3D games were barely at babysteps, hell Elden Ring probably wouldn't even exist without Ocarina of Time.

Arachnid

Holy shit

An OP that posts a top 10 video from an external site and actually lists the picks for people to read so we don't have to lose 10 minutes of our lives watching?

Ily OP

Robb

Gold Member
I agree with the top 3 at least, although not in that order. Would probably go for something like this myself;

#10 Skyward Sword
#9 Oracle of Ages/Seasons
#8 Link's Awakening
#7 Majora's Mask
#6 Wind Waker
#5 Twilight Princess
#4 A Link Between Worlds
#3 Breath of the Wild
#2 Ocarina of Time
#1 Link to the Past

Banjo64

cumsessed
#10 Twilight Princess 0:38
#9 Oracle of Ages/Seasons 1:37
#8 Legend of Zelda (NES) 2:34
#7 A Link Between Worlds 3:31
#6 Link's Awakening 4:32
#5 Wind Waker 5:44
#4 Majora's Mask 6:59
#3 Ocarina of Time 8:11
#2 Link to the Past 9:17
#1 Breath of the Wild 10:30

Ezlo-and-Link.gif

Better than LoZ and Oracle games.

Last edited:

TIGERCOOL

#10 Oracle of Ages/Seasons
#9 Twilight Princess
#8 Skyward Sword
#7 A Link Between Worlds
#6 A Link to the Past
#5 Links's Awakening
#4 Wind Waker
#3 Breath of the Wild
#2 Ocarina of Time
#1 Majora's Mask

Sybrix

Not interested in stupid elf games.. blah blah blah....

But BOTW is the one of the greatest games ever

Ezquimacore

Banned
I always say oot or botw, but the reality is.... A link to the past. Imagine that game as a 3D Zelda, imagine that intro and imagine going to the dark world with modern graphics.

Roufianos

Only played OoT, BotW, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker and Link's Awakening Remake. I just ordered Skyward Sword on Switch, wonder if it's really as bad as people say.

KellyNole

Only played OoT, BotW, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker and Link's Awakening Remake. I just ordered Skyward Sword on Switch, wonder if it's really as bad as people say.

It’s not that bad. There is some padding, it’s a little linear, and sometimes the motion controls are wonky, I played it in the Wii, but overall I really enjoyed it. Is it the best Zelda, no, but it’s still a great game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It’s not that bad. There is some padding, it’s a little linear, and sometimes the motion controls are wonky, I played it in the Wii, but overall I really enjoyed it. Is it the best Zelda, no, but it’s still a great game.
It's basically 100% linear, and there's no interconnected world, everything is separate "levels" with the sky acting as a glorified level select screen (and even that is pretty pointless, because you have to do the areas in a predefined order anyway). There's little to no exploration to be had in SS, which is a sin in a Zelda game

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The Zelda format has changed over the years and I'm buying the fact that Nintendo is still true to the original format. Link is still the franchise, the format is too good and adding motion controls, or shrines isn't an issue when your foundation is so good.

The temples (Light, Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow, Spirit) couldn't have been better, all they want you to do is solve puzzles, beat bosses and having freedom doing so, it is as close to perfect as you can get.

Sassy Oh No GIF by Nickelodeon

Mozzarella

I'm surprised how Ocarina of Time prestige and spot tanked in the recent years, it used to dominate #1 at every list.

1. Skyward Sword
2. A Link to the Past
3. Spirit Tracks
4. Twilight Princess
5. 4 Swords Adventures
6. The Adventure of Link
7. A Link Between Worlds
8. The Legend of Zelda
9. Majora's Mask
10. Phantom Hourglass

Probably a little different than the last time I made the list but feels right at the moment.
This list disgusts me. Please feel bad.

Akuji

Link to the past easily the best.
Majoras Mask prob 2nd
OoT and BotW can share 3rd spot.
Twilight Princess 4th or 5th however u want to put it.

i dont care about the rest.

Top Bottom