• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] - Sucker Punch: Ghost of Tsushima is our biggest game ever (by a "landslide")

Speaking to IGN:

“It's a lot bigger [than Infamous: Second Son]. It's definitely Sucker Punch's biggest game we've ever made by a landslide, both in the amount of stuff that's in it and also just sheer landscape, square footage-wise,” Connell, who also told IGN about Ghost of Tsushima's move away from a karma meter, said.

Connell explained that the team often gets asked about Ghost of Tsushima’s size in terms of length of completing the game, though he noted it’s hard to pinpoint because “completing” can mean various things for people with open-world games. Some people just play the story and others want to find everything. The studio recognized this, and worked “to create a world big enough that has both those opportunities. People that can just play story and people that can go get lost in the environment.”

On the game engine/tech

“We've learned a ton and we've just built on tech, on tech, on tech, and we have amazing technical rendering gurus at Sucker Punch,” Connell said. “They've managed to pull out every little ounce of performance so that we could have our dreams of making this game.

“You can see pretty far in the game as we show off, and that's not some fabricated thing with hacks. You can just get down from that mountain and go to those places. It's stunning what they've been able to pull off for us from a technical perspective,”

On the map/region

Connell explained that while the team sought to honor and respect the real-life setting — the in-game landmass is pretty much geographically the same shape as the real-world Tsushima — it’s not meant to be a one-to-one recreation, especially given the setting’s period.

“When it comes to some of the biomes and places that you go to, it's so long ago, there's not a perfect map of forestry of what was where,” Connell said, noting Sucker Punch's similar approach with Second Son to capture the essence of Seattle without necessarily recreating it building by building

On the art

One of the biggest aspects in creating this open, engaging space involved making the many areas of Tsushima artistically unique, as Connell pointed to the Golden Forest seen on the horizon during Tsushima’s State of Play.

“We try really hard from an art direction perspective to make [each area] feel distinctly different and try not to muddy things up,” he said.

“And while that may feel a little bit loud, when you approach it, it feels very memorable. I can remember where it is, I can see it from everywhere on the island.

Ghost me if old.

Sounds amazing. Can't wait
——————————

30-50 hours long, map packed with people, items, stories

Well, in a recent interview with Brazilian website Voxel, GoT creative director Nate Fox provided some more specific numbers…

Can players take, say, 30, 40, 50 hours if they do the optional activities? And, obviously, less than that if you stay on the main route? Is it safe to make these statements? Yes, absolutely. However, I would highly recommend that everyone get off the main route and get lost on Tsushima Island.

We want to give enough stuff to keep it electrifying for the player. We didn’t want to make a huge map and have nothing on it. So it’s packed with people, items and stories to explore.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well....obviously! I mean none of InFAMOUS game’s open world were never that big especially compare to other open world games.

Bigger doesn't mean better, but it can be good if done properly.

giphy.gif

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
That's a huge turn-off - guess I'll take a wait and see approach to this now. So goddamn sick of games with huge areas with nothing to do. It's not impressive anymore, guys.
It sounds like there will be a lot to do with the side missions/stories and if so, Sucker Punch has a sure fire hit on their hands

T-Square

That's a huge turn-off - guess I'll take a wait and see approach to this now. So goddamn sick of games with huge areas with nothing to do. It's not impressive anymore, guys.
really, their games have always been so gameplay-centric, can you honestly see sucker punch doing that?

zeorhymer

Are we going back to "Our game has 100 times more space than previous games!" PR again? Also, Infamous SS is pretty bleh.

Thats a big maybe and another what if there are lots of activities but theyre shit-tier like the one they showed where you follow a fox to a shrine. Now repeat that 30 times. Guess we'll see.

definitely, it’s uncertain. I’m hopeful tho

Hopefully, this doesn't mean that Ghost of Tsushima will be 210+ GBs in size after all the patches and DLCs like COD: Modern Warfare. GoT should not be more than 40 GBs, since everything is in-game rendered.

yeah I would assume it’s not gonna hit triple digit GB install size

It's better than having your hand held and not having much gameplay, or just simply the exact gameplay 100% through, or having limited control.

INC

If it's the same size as HZD I'm cool with that, hzd was just bigger enough, I never even fast travelled in that game, until I went for a platinum trophy

Bryank75

Banned
Ah, that's the guy who doesn't know how to pronounce his own name... Co - nnell

Maybe he drives a Niiii - ssan.

Anyway, the game looks awesome. I just hope there are no repetitive missions, like that shipyard better not be copy / pasted 8 times around the map....

Cause the aesthetic and atmosphere is incredible.

Fbh

None of their previous games were that big so it doesn't come as a surprise.

Hopefully though they have more meaningful content this time. No use having a map that's 10x the one from Second Son if it's going to be filled by the same abysmal checklist type content.

Last edited:
None of their previous games were that big so it doesn't come as a surprise.

Hopefully though they have more meaningful content this time. Not use having a map that's 10x the one from Second Son if it's going to be filled by the same abysmal checklist type content.

Definitely seems like the main challenge for an open world game is filling it with meaningful content. I liked Second Son stuff because you were constantly upgrading your powers along the way but that’s a different story with GoT, I assume

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
So kind of like assassin's Creed Odyssey? Awesome mechanic and gameplay, but a 10 hour game spread into 60 hours gameplay with grinding, repetitive quest, daily quest, and loot boxes?

Why do developers do this. Big world empty spaces. Botw did this. Every assassins creed. Just lots of emptiness. Nothing against open world but a lot of these games in my opinion would be better if the game world was about 30 to 40% smaller

30-50 hours long, map packed with people, items, stories

Well, in a recent interview with Brazilian website Voxel, GoT creative director Nate Fox provided some more specific numbers…

Can players take, say, 30, 40, 50 hours if they do the optional activities? And, obviously, less than that if you stay on the main route? Is it safe to make these statements? Yes, absolutely. However, I would highly recommend that everyone get off the main route and get lost on Tsushima Island.

We want to give enough stuff to keep it electrifying for the player. We didn’t want to make a huge map and have nothing on it. So it’s packed with people, items and stories to explore.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
But is it the bestest? Because after Second Son, I have huge anticipation.

Top Bottom