• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Senior Writer blames Don Mattrick for current Xbox Situation!?

demigod

i don't see how you're trying to steer that as a negative when Mojang owns the biggest and best selling video game of all time....
i like insomniac dont get me wrong but if i had to choose between Spiderman and Minecraft.... well the choice is damn near obvious to anyone looking to make cash
I was replying to the person that said they didn't have a budget for xbox division when in fact they did. Mojang was definitely worth the 2bil.

I'm not really a fan of Mattrick - hard to not think of him with the Kinect unveiling. But Xbox 360 was definitely a golden era for Xbox where they were "allowed" to take a risk on something like Kinect (and also chase Wii success of course). Xbox 360 early days with Xbox Live - gamechat/party chat, Gear of War 1/2, Halo 3, etc. were amazing and for me the best time to be a gamer. They locked up Mass Effect/Bioshock as exclusives. Alan Wake type games were in production. It was the best console for multiplatform games (cell sucked for development). It was the de facto FPS console with the best controller. I still remember when they unveiled GTA 4 and Final Fantasy 13 at E3...they had the right thinking back then. I give Mattrick credit for that. Ever since then it's been a bunch of blank checks written for Phil Spencer with nothing to show for it.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

rIE2orv.jpg

Neff

Let's for the sake of argument say that Mattrick indeed left the division in shambles [which he didn't, but still]

He left the brand in shambles, but in fairness to Mattrick, Spencer hasn't done nearly enough to regain 360 era momentum and goodwill.

I will say that Spencer is at least a video game guy, despite his failings. Mattrick clearly wasn't. He joined Microsoft after all the good work was done and only proceeded to greet gaming with cynicism and ignorance.

Verchod

Not entirely his fault. Microsoft have been in the console business for over 20 years and have fuck all to show for it. Phil has done sweat F.A across the various positions he's had.
If microsoft left now, what would they leave behind? What difference would it make? Their main games are (were) Halo, Gears, Forza. One of those is pretty much dead at the moment, and a shadow of its former self, one no one cares about, and the last is a solid yet uninspired copy of a flagship game from a rival platform.
Xbox has been useless since 2009.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I will say that Spencer is at least a video game guy, despite his failings. Mattrick clearly wasn't.

Don Mattrick developed and released a game on Apple II when he was 17, on a two-kid team.

He then went on to create DSI which was the largest game developer studio on North America, during the 80s, known for Test Drive and most PC-DOS ports from Sega and Konami.

Phil Spencer's technical jobs before becoming a manager were working on Encarta and Microsoft Money.

Neff

on Mattrick developed and released a game on Apple II when he was 17, on a two-kid team.

That's a fair point but I still assert that Mattrick was completely head-up-ass blind to the needs of Xbox as a brand compared to Spencer, who at least attempted to give customers what they wanted as opposed to telling them what they wanted.

VAVA Mk2

its true because i read it on the internet
What are you trying to say? Don Mattrick did say that. Just pointing it out cuz it was funny and he was stupid. But, Don Mattrick is not to blame for everything right now like Ryan wants to say. There has been poor accountability/oversight over MS studios in the last decade which led to the 343i fiasco and endless delays of big games in dev. Mattrick doesn't get the blame for that. Oh and the contract worker policy from MS isn't him either.

Ozriel

M$FT
Not entirely his fault. Microsoft have been in the console business for over 20 years and have fuck all to show for it. Phil has done sweat F.A across the various positions he's had.
If microsoft left now, what would they leave behind? What difference would it make? Their main games are (were) Halo, Gears, Forza. One of those is pretty much dead at the moment, and a shadow of its former self, one no one cares about, and the last is a solid yet uninspired copy of a flagship game from a rival platform.

Such a pointless, naive comment.

Imagine claiming you’d see no difference if competition in the high end console space vanished overnight.

‘Halo Gears Forza’ rhetoric in this day and age is even more dumb. As is your last paragraph

Freeza93

Banned
What are you trying to say? Don Mattrick did say that. Just pointing it out cuz it was funny and he was stupid. But, Don Mattrick is not to blame for everything right now like Ryan wants to say. There has been poor accountability/oversight over MS studios in the last decade which led to the 343i fiasco and endless delays of big games in dev. Mattrick doesn't get the blame for that. Oh and the contract worker policy from MS isn't him either.
Im just saying without evidence i dont trust any of this „quotes“ not specially about him, in general.

Verchod

Such a pointless, naive comment.

Imagine claiming you’d see no difference if competition in the high end console space vanished overnight.

‘Halo Gears Forza’ rhetoric in this day and age is even more dumb. As is your last paragraph
Not pointless at all, maybe you misunderstood what I was trying to say. if Microsoft are in a poor position in the gaming space, it's not down to one person. The way they approach the gaming space as a whole seems different to sony and Nintendo, and it shows.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
One of the most annoying people on the internet, just his fucking soy voices, which even makes Linus sounds like a chad, makes me never listen to him.

NovaSe7en

Microsoft is a huge company with probably too many cooks in the kitchen, but we want to find a scapegoat and put the blame on one person. lol

Don and Phil played a part, but c'mon...

kuncol02

Banned
I'm not really a fan of Mattrick - hard to not think of him with the Kinect unveiling. But Xbox 360 was definitely a golden era for Xbox where they were "allowed" to take a risk on something like Kinect (and also chase Wii success of course). Xbox 360 early days with Xbox Live - gamechat/party chat, Gear of War 1/2, Halo 3, etc. were amazing and for me the best time to be a gamer. They locked up Mass Effect/Bioshock as exclusives. Alan Wake type games were in production. It was the best console for multiplatform games (cell sucked for development). It was the de facto FPS console with the best controller. I still remember when they unveiled GTA 4 and Final Fantasy 13 at E3...they had the right thinking back then. I give Mattrick credit for that. Ever since then it's been a bunch of blank checks written for Phil Spencer with nothing to show for it.
Early 360 era was golden era, but then they run it to ground. Kinect, lack of exclusives, closing of Lionhead, Bungie and Epic going multiplatform. It all culminated with first xbox one showcase of TV, TV, TV, TV, Kinect, TV, TV and basically no games show.

That's a fair point but I still assert that Mattrick was completely head-up-ass blind to the needs of Xbox as a brand compared to Spencer, who at least attempted to give customers what they wanted as opposed to telling them what they wanted.

How?

All Spencer has delivered is GamePass.

Xbox hardware has always been strong. Even during Mattrick's era.

Spencer failed to deliver Xbox games when he was head of Xbox first-party publishing under Mattrick and now he's head of Xbox its arguably even worse; since many of the major tentpole IPs they relied so much on under Mattrick, i.e. Halo, Gears, and Forza, has either gone stale or fallen into irrelevance completely.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Spencer failed to deliver Xbox games when he was head of Xbox first-party publishing under Mattrick and now he's head of Xbox its arguably even worse; since many of the major tentpole IPs they relied so much on under Mattrick, i.e. Halo, Gears, and Forza, has either gone stale or fallen into irrelevance completely.
Yet people somehow believe the IPs from Activision Blizzard will be better managed under Microsoft than all of Xbox Studios' current franchises, somehow.

Neff

All Spencer has delivered is GamePass.

While his tenure has been underwhelming, I will give him credit for Gamepass (which people seem to love, it's not my cup of tea), the tremendous backwards compatibility efforts across several platforms, and most obviously gutting Mattrick's preposterous original Xbox One SKU in favour of a more value/consumer-friendly package. The software might not be there but the commitment to listening to consumers is, at least in part.

While his tenure has been underwhelming, I will give him credit for Gamepass (which people seem to love, it's not my cup of tea), the tremendous backwards compatibility efforts across several platforms, and most obviously gutting Mattrick's preposterous original Xbox One SKU in favour of a more value/consumer-friendly package. The software might not be there but the commitment to listening to consumers is, at least in part.

I just disagree.

Unless you think that Xbox gamers don't want or care about games... which incidentally, was what lead Mattrick down the path of TV TV TV, and he was universally shafted by Xbox fans for.

Corndog

Banned

Phil Spencer keeps getting away? Wow

I do think mattrick caused some long term problems, but I don’t see how you could blame him for everything that’s happened since.
The biggest problem he caused was shrinking first party and the huge backlash Xbox one got.

Corndog

Banned
What a short sighted view. Competition improves the end experience for gamers.

ZoukGalaxy

its true because i read it on the internet
"its false because i read it on the internet"

Are you ten years old or were you living in a cavern the last decade ?
Check next time before posting bullshit.
Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

*edit* this fact is extremely well documented and would have costed you a 2s google search. This is NOT "invented".

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

I wont click on anything from you.
"Fortunately I have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of click, that's called a picture"

Come one, unstress, I'm joking with you ^^
Sorry if I was too rude with you.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wasn’t in the Xbox top 10 for December. Not sure where it ended up.

That's INSANE to me. I know it didn't review great, but I thought the jokes and the look of it would at least sell to Xbox gamers in it's first month.

Top Bottom