• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: PS5 games can be stored on an external HDD but need to be copied back to the SSD to play (Update: Currently you can not.)

jzosa

Yep. Can just plug that in and play right from it.

Will the ps4 games played on ps5 using an external hhd/ssd benefit from the higher resolution/fps that we have seen from those with unlocked framerates?

Thank you in advance.

Moogle11

Banned
Will the ps4 games played on ps5 using an external hhd/ssd benefit from the higher resolution/fps that we have seen from those with unlocked framerates?

Thank you in advance.

I think you get those benefits regardless of playing them off the external or copied over to the internal SSD. I think load times would be the only difference and I’ve seen mixed reports of whether various games laid faster on the SSD or a fast external usb drive. In any case PS4 games on the SSD don’t get the crazy fast loading of PS5 games due to how they implemented BC.

jzosa

I think you get those benefits regardless of playing them off the external or copied over to the internal SSD. I think load times would be the only difference and I’ve seen mixed reports of whether various games laid faster on the SSD or a fast external usb drive. In any case PS4 games on the SSD don’t get the crazy fast loading of PS5 games due to how they implemented BC.

Thank you.

Yeah, I understand there must be some sort of limitation to the implementation of BC on PS5. However, I'm still excited to play my backlog with the hardware benefits on PS5 so it's nice to get confirmation somewhat of the boostfor PS4 games even when using an external hdd/ssd.

Top Bottom