• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: PS4 Clock Battery Death Will Kill Your Ability to Play Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

"If your PS4 clock battery dies, you will lose your ability to play games on it. Regardless of them being digital files or disc, your PS4 won’t be able to run them. This is according to trusted hacker Lance McDonald this is because trophies on the PS4 need the console’s internal clock to work correctly so as to prevent users to change date and time values and exploit the PS4’s trophy system."

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Sony and clocks...
Totally forgot about this. That was a wild day.

TBiddy

How hard is it to change the cmos battery on the Ps4? I can't imagine it being that hard. Sounds like one of those ""everybody panic" articles for clicks.

Not hard, I suppose. But doing that usually resets the clock, and then you have a problem, since you can't change the clock.

n0body

Banned
tenor.gif

Last edited:

n0body

Banned
Can’t you then just go into settings and set the time after changing the cmos battery?
Until/if an EOL update changes things, even after replacing the CMOS you need to connect to online to set the date again.

Skifi28

Until/if an EOL update changes things, even after replacing the CMOS you need to connect to online to set the date again.

So I gues the actual issue is what happens in 10-15 years if the PS4 online is no more? The article sure wants to spread doom and gloom.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Too bad for the dude that bought my launch PS4. Seriously this is shitty design. Battery failure is a common issue and shouldn't kill the device if you wanted to keep it in the attic and pull it out in 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom