• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: PlayStation 5 vs. Xbox Series X: 6 Months Later

So you agree with me? ..yet you reacted to the post I disagreed with as 'thoughtful'.

Make up your mind.
I agree that people downplay innovative features. Haptic feedback is cool but it is also on the Switch. I am not aware that quick resume is anywhere else.

assurdum

Banned
A controller with less gimmicks.

Is He Okay 90 Day Fiance GIF by TLC

Game Pass + Quick Resume has been amazing and I am loving the 120FPS support from Series X. :messenger_ok:
That's a dam-good quality of life and I'm considering buying the new Samsung neo series tv, the series x is everything life can offer, ignore the trolls, thier cockyness shows how they got nothing to play at the moment and waste their energy on that.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Controller preferences are a very subjective thing. In both those polls it was near 50/50, so why belittle people who stated their preference was the DualSense? Just as many people have also said they prefer the Series X controller.
I'm responding to a comment saying it was "far superior", which the poll shows is at least a controversial opinion. Also lol if this thread did not "belittle" Xbox owners - a bit late to call for civility imo.
DualSense is amazing but after that poll I dont ever want to hear how this forum has a Sony bias.
Z9gfxkq.png

c6KI7c3.png

Sorry, were you saying something?

This place has a massive Sony bias, which is fine as long as people are civil. It makes the poll about the Dualsense even more delicious because it shows there are even PS owners who don't feel that hot about it - just like the DS4 back in the days.

dcmk7

Banned
I agree that people downplay innovative features. Haptic feedback is cool but it is also on the Switch. I am not aware that quick resume is anywhere else.
Combination of dynamic adaptive triggers and haptic feedback allows a more immersive experience.

Quick resume (saved states) are really handy, use them at work a lot when using VMs where the benefits are much more significant. But it's a definite upgrade on rest mode.

If had to pick one, would have pick the one which has an affect on gameplay though.

Loope

People really in this thread trying to downplay ps5 1st several months or say its on par with the other console eh? you must be some kind of miserable to do that. Look, everything is opinion at the end of the day but comparatively speaking its not close, not right now at least. Thankfully gaf isnt the whole equation and people vote with there dollars, thats why PS has been market share leader in the past and will be vs the series this gen too, you can already see the writing on the wall but people will deny it ofc and thats fine too, but you cant argue hard data. No matter how you slice the apple Ps5 is what people prefer, the sooner you come to terms with this the better you will feel about your purchase of choice ;)
Classic Reaction GIF

Yes very disappointed with the lack of UI updates, surprised they didn't make more changes for a new generation.

Agree about the controller - it's tiny! And AA batteries in 2021 are a joke, though some like it. I do think they'll come out with a new version mid-gen.

AA batteries are fantastic. I keep my old consoles and won’t have to worry about my controllers leaking years later. My DS lite is a ticking time bomb.

Loope

The Thread is titled "Playstation 5 vs Xbox Series X: 6 Months Later", yet you can't tell it as it is/simply repeat what's in the video already or you'll be banned. All while people like Riky Riky become Gold.

MtZ9N.gif
No, they weren't banned for that, it's pretty easy to see, going by the posters and what they posted.But sure, let's pretend they were mere opinions.

Tschumi

It's just very early, imo.. we've only seen a handful of ps5 exclusives, of which a far as i know only one is trying to make use of the SSD speed.. we can't judge yet, for better or worse. Series X, well, i don't know too much about it's games but I'm not sure it's done and better than Ps5 thus far, with regards to critique'ability... It comes across as a BC powerhouse thus far.

Let series X get infinite, let Ps5 get something trying to act like the UE5 demo, then we can discuss them.

Doncabesa

Articles like this are just to get clicks. If you like Playstation's system you get it, if you like Xbox's you get it, and if you have the money and you like both then you get both. Pointless war drivel they know will get people to click hoping "their side" wins whatever the article tries to say.

Last edited:

skit_data

I'm responding to a comment saying it was "far superior", which the poll shows is at least a controversial opinion. Also lol if this thread did not "belittle" Xbox owners - a bit late to call for civility imo.

Z9gfxkq.png

c6KI7c3.png

This place has a massive Sony bias, which is fine as long as people are civil. It makes the poll about the Dualsense even more delicious because it shows there are even PS owners who don't feel that hot about it - just like the DS4 back in the days.
Its probably true that Neogaf has a more PS-leaning userbase but I wouldn’t use a poll with 248 votes to strengthen my case

Renozokii

So true! You should hear what people say about quick resume. I guess people don't like features that their console doesn't have.
One feature becomes borderline irrelevant with ssds that should keep loading times in the single digits and play cards allowing you to start whenever you want in a game. The other is an innovative controller that enhances immersion in gaming.

Handel

Neither has given a next gen experience yet, neither are worth owning yet. Pretty common for Sony/Xbox in recent generations, when their systems are closer to weak PCs, and most multiplatform games come to PC.

It's fun to watch people scramble to justify bad purchases.

Renozokii

There’s no magic in engineering, you have a set budget and you choose what you focus on. Is it the d-pad? Is it the buttons? Is it the general sturdy feel of the controller? Or is it a touchpad and a speaker that goes zwoop zwoop? Having used both controllers I definitely know which d-pad I want to use in the future when I play a platformer.

Preferences are ok though, just pointing out where the general sentiment is.

Also you don’t want to look at the poll that asks which console is the ugliest.
Kind of false though. Investing early and iterating means there’s no real focus to be had. The touch pad and speaker were present in the ps4 controller. The shape has seen a massive upgrade that IMO puts it above the comfort of the Xbox controller. The d pad is near the same to the old play station d pads people have loved for platforming for decades. The new features are iterative upon what Sony has built before.

Ps5 from my perspective has the only truly next gen games currently, like where the feeling of playing them feels like it’s a generational leap (returnal and demons souls). Sadly neither of them are quite my vibe,

Xbox series x has been getting the majority of time through gamepass. Which maybe I wouldn’t use it normally I don’t know, I wasn’t a big videogamer before Covid and will likely slow down on it now that things are lifting - but that sorta Netflix philosophy of just trying whatever and seeing what’s fun has worked better for me in terms of just enjoyment.

I also have a question for those with a ps5, I recently booted up demons souls after a while and - it’s not my game? It’s some random dudes save? How is this possible?

That sounds extremely strange, did you buy your PS5 brand new?
Yep. Completely. I haven’t played Demons Souls for months - no one has touched the system but me. I boot it up - completely different game, way ahead of where I was, I’m super confused - I exit out - some random guys username

skit_data

Yep. Completely. I haven’t played Demons Souls for months - no one has touched the system but me. I boot it up - completely different game, way ahead of where I was, I’m super confused - I exit out - some random guys username
That sure sounds wierd as hell, I have no idea how that could happen

And you haven’t had a friend with a PS5 and Demon’s Souls that used your account or something when playing another games local multiplayer?

That’s pretty much the only thing I can think of, if someone accidentaly played Demon’s Souls on your psn profile with cloud save sync turned on and it uploaded it to your cloud storage

Edit: What’s your trophy progression on the game? Does it reflect the save files progression or your own?

Last edited:
That sure sounds wierd as hell, I have no idea how that could happen

And you haven’t had a friend with a PS5 and Demon’s Souls that used your account or something when playing another games local multiplayer?

That’s pretty much the only thing I can think of, if someone accidentaly played Demon’s Souls on your psn profile with cloud save sync turned on and it uploaded it to your cloud storage

Edit: What’s your trophy progression on the game? Does it reflect the save files progression or your own?
There’s a slight possibility a friend of mine used my psn account but the name of the save doesn’t match his at all. And I don’t know how that would’ve happened - I don’t believe he has my login info but we used to be roommates so maybe? It struggled to start up when I opened the game, so I restarted the console and then it was this. The trophies match the new save - stuff I’ve never done.

skit_data

There’s a slight possibility a friend of mine used my psn account but the name of the save doesn’t match his at all. And I don’t know how that would’ve happened - I don’t believe he has my login info but we used to be roommates so maybe? It struggled to start up when I opened the game, so I restarted the console and then it was this. The trophies match the new save - stuff I’ve never done.
The save files name is the name of the character, so its entirely possible its your friends save and that he named the character something completely random that doesnt correspond to eithers PSN ID

You should log in to PSN and check which devices that your account has been registred to, it’s possible your friend accidentaly has linked your PSN-ID to his PS5 somehow

Last edited:
In the end the consoles that won so far are last gen consoles. Cross generation has won.

This was the lowest amount of games exclusive for next-gen consoles ever . PS5 had 1 at launch and XSX had 0.

Never before have there been that low of releases since...I can’t even remember.

One of the most paltry next gen launches ever.

Yea it made the PS2 US launch look hype, all there was was Tekken Tag and SSX, if you didn't have those games you got your ass kicked by your friends.

Neither has given a next gen experience yet, neither are worth owning yet. Pretty common for Sony/Xbox in recent generations, when their systems are closer to weak PCs, and most multiplatform games come to PC.

It's fun to watch people scramble to justify bad purchases.
That's the thing, if you're buying the console just to get a "next gen experience", both of them are not worth it yet. It's all the other improvements that make it worth it, like playing at 60 fps and having super fast loading times. I can't imagine going back to old gen and the stuttery 30 fps mess it is (or the 2 minute loading screens in GTA Online). That's why I hope the new Switch is powerful enough to push 60 fps in most games.

skit_data

Since when is a rumble controller the second coming of Jesus? Seems like some people are massively overselling the feature. And those same people are then making jokes about VRR, ironic :messenger_beaming:
VRR is probably awesome, but it requires a specific type TVs to be applicable at all. The Dualsense features are available to everyone who owns a PS5.

Personally I always used to turn off rumble because it was always a full on/full off feel, no gradients. The haptics are a lot better IMO and I don’t turn them off ever unless its a PS4-title since they still give that full on/full of feel in the rumble

VRR is probably awesome, but it requires a specific type TVs to be applicable at all. The Dualsense features are available to everyone who owns a PS5.

Personally I always used to turn off rumble because it was always a full on/full off feel, no gradients. The haptics are a lot better IMO and I don’t turn them off ever unless its a PS4-title since they still give that full on/full of feel in the rumble
I've yet to try it, so idk. Seen everything from "omg it's the true next gen feature" to "I turn it off by default" as a reaction to it.

All I know is the PSVR2 controllers are gonna be out of this world, hopefully.

Kagey K

Banned
It’s funny.

long time Xbox fans who own both. “They are both so underwhelming”

long time PlayStation owners who may or may not own both. “PS5 sure has great games”.
Only when they ignore that most of them are on PS4 as well
Since when is a rumble controller the second coming of Jesus? Seems like some people are massively overselling the feature. And those same people are then making jokes about VRR, ironic :messenger_beaming:
Remember when Sony told everyone rumble was a gimmick and removed it from all their controllers?
One feature becomes borderline irrelevant with ssds that should keep loading times in the single digits and play cards allowing you to start whenever you want in a game. The other is an innovative controller that enhances immersion in gaming.
Sounds like someone who hasn't used the feature trying to downplay it, while making a different feature seem more dramatic than it is.

Cards aren't going to get you to the exact spot you shut the game off in under 10 seconds, but keep pretending they are identical.

Last edited:
Xbox has been the better next gen console so far due to gamepass, fps and hdr boost. Sony has had the better next gen only games, but Xbox has been the better overall ecosystem for third party games. If I told someone to buy only one I'd recommend Xbox due to the value of the console. Returnal and Demon Souls are great but more niche games, and a few must play games you can play on xbox vs paying $$ for it on sony eco system.

richdot

Neo Member

Z9gfxkq.png

c6KI7c3.png

where was this poll?

The save files name is the name of the character, so its entirely possible its your friends save and that he named the character something completely random that doesnt correspond to eithers PSN ID

You should log in to PSN and check which devices that your account has been registred to, it’s possible your friend accidentaly has linked your PSN-ID to his PS5 somehow
So I contacted the friend - he didn’t do it. Looked at my psn devices - just my PS4 and my PS5. I am completely at a loss this must’ve been some weird data fuck up? Or like just the network getting confused for a split second somehow? The save file is under a guy named Mattbox20 I know not his user name but must be somebody named Matt or something I assume - and after checking I see no way this could’ve happened logically. Super weird

Last edited:

skit_data

So I contacted the friend - he didn’t do it. Looked at my psn devices - just my PS4 and my PS5. I am completely at a loss this must’ve been some weird data fuck up? Or like just the network getting confused for a split second somehow? The save file is under a guy named Mattbox20 I know not his user name but must be somebody named Matt or something I assume - and after checking I see no way this could’ve happened logically. Super weird
Thats the wierdest thing! Maybe some kind of server sync issue of the game server or something? I would’ve contacted Sony just to make sure that the user didn’t access any personal info or anything, just to make sure. Hopefully it gets sorted out in the end!

Last edited:
Thats the wierdest thing! Maybe some kind of server sync issue of the game server or something? I would’ve contacted Sony just to make sure that the user didn’t access any personal info or anything, just to make sure. Hopefully it gets sorted out in the end!
I think I will contact them. Thank you for your help man!

Renozokii

Only when they ignore that most of them are on PS4 as well

Remember when Sony told everyone rumble was a gimmick and removed it from all their controllers?

Sounds like someone who hasn't used the feature trying to downplay it, while making a different feature seem more dramatic than it is.

Cards aren't going to get you to the exact spot you shut the game off in under 10 seconds, but keep pretending they are identical.
>Sounds like someone who hasn't used the feature trying to downplay it, while making a different feature seem more dramatic than it is.

Have used it, and by the chance I hadn’t you act as if it’s some complex, abstract feature when it’s not. I think everyone can get the general concept of suspending a game indefinitely and booting it up as is at a later time. I just think it’s an ok feature at best and that playstations solution is moderately better when integrated properly b

>Cards aren't going to get you to the exact spot you shut the game off in under 10 seconds, but keep pretending they are identical.

No but manual saves and the lightning fast loading times via the ssd damn near can. And between starting a game the second I stopped even when at a not particularly good stopping point, or cards that allow me to start an activity, mission, or mode in about 10 seconds at my discretion makes considerably more sense. Even those with PCs that can theoretically minimize a game and play another in the mean time don’t typically do it. They save, exit, and start whatever it is.

In the end the consoles that won so far are last gen consoles. Cross generation has won.

This was the lowest amount of games exclusive for next-gen consoles ever . PS5 had 1 at launch and XSX had 0.

Never before have there been that low of releases since...I can’t even remember.

One of the most paltry next gen launches ever.
If you're talking only console exclusives then PS5 also had Godfall all to itself at launch (I think it's still the only platform it's available on, gotta check). Also, Astro's Playroom. So 3 games that could only be experienced on PS5 at launch.

Top Bottom