• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: PlayStation 5 vs. Xbox Series X: 6 Months Later

Codes 208

I don't think they ever said that. But looking at the way the game is designed it pretty obvious that it's a tech demo for the I/O. Their last game Miles Morales didn't do anything as crazy as Ratchet is doing.
Miles was definitely a tech demo in terms of RT though. It has some of the best implementation of RT despite running on AMD. But in terms of overall presentation I definitely agree that R&C seems far more impressive

McCheese

Series X being so damn quiet and small is a hugely undervalued advantage.

PS5 has great games, but its fucking novelty size, needs a stupid flimsy stand and sounds like a wasp riding a bicycle and no two systems sound the same.

Sony are lucky they have good games on it, as the hardware is really poorly designed by comparison (specs aside).

Last edited:

Nester99

Got both at launch, I like the Xbox Better SO FAR.
Mostly due to game pass and UI stuff.

I expect the PS5 to break late when they fix the painful UI and the exclusives come out.

I am glad I have both.

LMJ

This is what virginity looks like;

Because they prefer 1 plastic box over the other? I admit some came on to strong, but they are gone now lol

Thread is a graveyard why are so many people being banned?

I go play PS5 Judgement and download Genshin Impact (and I really like it so far) and this place becomes a graveyard.

no way wtf GIF

Holy shit I walked into a graveyard apparently :messenger_fearful:

Read the 1st page and ALL will become clear my friends

Miles was definitely a tech demo in terms of RT though. It has some of the best implementation of RT despite running on AMD. But in terms of overall presentation I definitely agree that R&C seems far more impressive

If anything I think Miles was their experiment with RT on the PS5. And what worked for them they brought over to Ratchet. Reminds me of when The Coalition made that remaster/remake to learn the hardware better.

ZehDon

Quick Resume is the best new feature from the last two console generations; I can never go back. So, for me the XSX is a terrific console; highly recommended. I've been thoroughly enjoying a pretty wide variety of games, but the strangest is thing is that I've only bought a handful thanks to Gamepass, which is giving this generation a very... odd feeling. I'm used to hanging out for new games to play on my new consoles... this time around, I don't have time to play everything.

We'll both have yet to have games, but at least Xbox is giving you enhanced old games for free with subscription.

Meanwhile I'll be playing my Xbox One backlog. You know, the Xbox One, the first one, the Xbox One.

Hezekiah

Banned
PS5 is doing better in the exclusive games department. While I haven't really been impressed with any so far, at least they're trying. There's new content there at least, which is more than I can say for the Series.

The XBX is doing better pretty much everywhere else though. Gamepass is better than anything the PS5 has comparatively. The UI is better than the PS5. Performance is superior to the PS5 almost across the board at this point, and that gap will likely continue to grow.

Both systems have their benefits and drawbacks. While it could go either way, I think the XB Series has a higher upside. The PS5 dualsense didn't impress me, and so many broken triggers doesn't bode well going forward. The PS5's storage solution has been disappointing as well. Sony can correct any of these issues in the future, but at this point there's no indication of it. On the other side, MS has only the single issue of games to correct, and there's ample evidence to suggest that they're working on it.

I think E3 will tell us a lot. If it gives us a clear and positive indication of games coming to the XB Series consoles, then I'd say they're clearly better option going forward. If it's vague, and doesn't show much content coming, then I'd say the PS5 has the potential to be the better option.
Still pushing the performance narrative huh. I guess some people are really impressed by backwards compatibility and don't know what x86 architecture is.

Hezekiah

Banned
I have both now and there is only one next-gen console. The PS5. As soon as you start it for the first time you get the wow factor because of the dual sense, the new UI and the exclusives you can't get anywhere else. Multiplats like RE:Village, Borderlands 3 and Control UE also take advantage of the Dual Sense making it the best versions. Demons Souls is phenomenal. I didn't even like the original but the remake is just perfect. Returnal is a real showcase. BC patches for GOW, Days Gone, Ratchet and Ghost of Tsushima is just cherry on top.

Series X feels like Xbox One. From the interface, to the controller and the games. Everything is the same but with PC patches. The controller feels so small and those batteries. Like a cheap toy. Good if you are on a budget. I'm enjoying Outriders a lot on it. I might go back to play old games. A nice BC and GP machine.
Yes very disappointed with the lack of UI updates, surprised they didn't make more changes for a new generation.

Agree about the controller - it's tiny! And AA batteries in 2021 are a joke, though some like it. I do think they'll come out with a new version mid-gen.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I own both Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 Disc Edition. Xbox Series X is my primary gaming console while the PlayStation 5 is for full exclusives only.

Thus far for Xbox Series X, I have played and completed Gears 5: Hivebusters expansion, Watch Dogs Legion, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Tom Clancy's The Division 2 base game and episodes, Tom Clancy's The Division 2: Warlords of New York expansion, Gears Tactics, Immortals Fenyx Rising: Myths of the Eastern Realm expansion, Outriders, Resident Evil VIII: Village and Tom Clancy's The Division 2: Season One. With the exception of Watch Dogs Legion, every game have played a smooth 60FPS with ultra fast loading times and best of all for me, no controller gimmicks which im not a fan of and I don't care who implements it as all that crap get turned off at the console level.

Have been super thrilled with the Xbox Series X and this is without using Quick Resume, FPS Boost, Auto HDR or playing Backwards Compatible games. Knowing that all of these features are present for me to use if I so choose is a great feeling because even if I don't ever use of any it this entire generation, just knowing that these features are available to me is excellent because it shows the dedication from Microsoft in preserving their past history with Xbox and making those old games better than ever before. Best of all, I do have a few older games that I want to play - Dishonored 2 and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider but im waiting for the current generation upgrade and/or FPS Boost for Dishonored 2. DOTO received a FPS boost so im hoping that Dishonored 2 receives the same eventually. Add in that they're currently testing Dolby Vision to where that may be an "auto" feature to see how that works with games that don't have Dolby Vision. Plus, there's a great chance that they may also add Resolution Boost at some point as well. So features wise, im super satisfied and looking forward to the future.

Despite playing several games to completion, I still have Assassin's Creed Valhalla base game and Wrath of the Druids expansion as well as Cyberpunk 2077 (waiting for the current generation upgrade) in my backlog and just bought Mass Effect Legendary Edition today which is a brand new game for me as I never played any of them. Next week is BioMutant and for June/July, I currently have Necromunda: Hired Gun that im interested in and The Ascent which im very much looking forward to playing.

Controller wise, it's not perfect but I easily prefer it over the PS5 controller but I do wish it was the same size as Xbox One because it would fit my hands better but no biggie as im already used to it. The directional pad is too "clicky" and I liked the directional pad layout on Xbox One better. Overall though, it's a better version of the Xbox One controller due to the Share Button and better latency. Best of all for me, no gimmicks. Turned off vibration at the console level and it's great.

Exclusives wise, it's pretty much non-existent. Gears Tactics was a great 8.0/10 but I prefer Mutant Year Zero and Kingdom Battle more. The Ascent is looking like a great action RPG twin stick shooter set in a cyberpunk universe which yeah, im hyped for!!! Halo Infinite will be later this year and im also expecting to have Wolfenstein III which would give me an overall great year for exclusives despite the first 8 months only really having Gears Tactics for me.

Then of course, we get to Game Pass. Exclusives day one and third party games day one is huge for me because I no longer have to buy any of these games. Between Gears Tactics, The Ascent, Halo Infinite and Wolfenstein III, im going to end up saving $170 total and that's just from the first year. I'm expecting to have at least 20 first party exclusives in which I will save $1000 over the duration of this generation which doesn't third party exclusives like The Ascent or third party multi-platform games being day one on Game Pass.

Overall for me, Xbox Series X is an easy 9.0/10 especially since I own an LG CX OLED which goes perfectly with the console. I can understand people on both sides bashing Xbox Series X/S for not having exclusives at launch outside of Gears Tactics but at the same time, I have never had an amazing launch full of exclusives that I actually purchased and wanted to played. Xbox One had the better launch lineup but how did that work out? In fact, last generation for both PS4 and XBO, I had five games that were no better than a 7.0/10 (Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Infamous First Light, The Order and Until Dawn) and one game that was a 6.5/10 (Knack).

I personally didn't get an 8+ game until Quantum Break and Gears 4 along with Alienation, Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank in 2016. That was over 29 months after launch. So if I get Halo Infinite and Wolfenstein III later this year (along with The Ascent and 2020's Gears Tactics), it's already surpassed the first 29 months of PS4/XBO for me by far. It's not even close. Best of all, 2022 will be better than 2015 which in turns kills those first 29 months of PS4/XBO to where they don't even exist.

Now, on to PlayStation 5. This will be a lot shorter. Starting the system up, I can admit that you do get that "next gen" feeling when you first see and hear the UI/dashboard but once you start to navigate it, my goodness, why did they change it? PS4 Pro was near perfect. It looks better than Xbox Series X due to 4K/HDR but the actual layout is worse and overall, it's the music that when starting up the console gets you hyped. Turn off the music, the hype is simply gone and non-existent. But on the positive side, I have maybe spent 5 minutes total on the PS5 UI/dashboard so in the grand scheme of thing, no biggie and the novelty of it is gone anyway.

Controller wise, I wasn't a fan of the Touch Pad (I see it as nothing more than an oversized world map button) on the PS4. I hated it. Still do and perhaps even more so now because I was hoping they would eliminate it but instead, Sony made it slightly bigger. UGH. The size and weight of the PS5 controller is good though. I'm pretty sure that the PS5 controller is bigger than the XSX controller which I do prefer because it fits my hands better. However, that's where the praise ends. I'm not a fan of haptic feedback/vibration and turned this shit off immediately at the console level. The adaptive triggers were also turned off yet while playing Miles Morales, it's almost as if the game doesn't register it being turned off. So many times, I would press the L2 or R2 button and it wouldn't do what I wanted it to do. Absolutely hate this gimmick. I just want the controller to be a standard basic controller that simply works, has low latency and as little input lag as possible. That's all I care about. Based on Miles, despite having the Adaptive Triggers turned off, im expecting this to be an issue in every PS5 exclusive that I play because despite being turned off, the console isn't registering it and thus, still acts as if you have it turned on. Pressing the trigger(s) halfway to do one thing and then all the way for another is stupid to me because who does that? I have never pressed a trigger or probably any button halfway. Just don't like this at all. Hope these gimmicks die out very quickly as I will be very happy then.

On to the only aspect of PlayStation 5 that I care about which is the full exclusives. In general, they had the better launch lineup, no argument there. However, two of the three Sony published titles (Demon's Souls and Sackboy) were of no interest to me. I know Demon's Souls is a great game but I have zero interest in Souls type games and while Sackboy is easily better than Knack, why would I play that when I can just wait for Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart? I don't need two platformers unless they're top tier.

The one exclusive that I did play and complete was Spider Man: Miles Morales. Great 8.5/10 overall but the optional side content is equally bad if not worse than 2018 Spider Man and the story/characters while great and enjoyable, was too short. If I remember correctly, there was only 17 story campaign missions. Would have liked the story to be longer and the characters dived into more and in exchange, eliminate some of the optional side content completely. Also, I didn't like that you couldn't max out the gadgets unless you played New Game+. Screw that, im not doing that. SMH. Visuals were super, audio was great and combat/gameplay was excellent. An overall great game and im very much looking forward to Spider Man 2.

Not going to even mention Godfall or Destruction All Stars because both fucking suck, plain and simple. The Medium isn't worth talking about either. Moving on....

Returnal. Not into rogue like games at all. Not for me. I love Housemarque and I know the game itself is in the 8-8.5 range because they're a great development studio but again, game just isn't what I would have preferred it to be. If it was a straight forward "Sony type game" then it would have been day one but it's not so it wasn't. With that said, if Housemarque patches in an optional save system where if you die on world 5, you start at the beginning of world 5 with your weapons and whatnot intact, then I will definitely buy it but anything of this, and just nope.

Let me get to as of now, the main event which is Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. Hell yeah!!! Day one!!! Already pre-ordered and paid in full. My biggest complaint and issue is the release date...it's the day before E3 starts, damn it!!! But at least I will be on an 11 day vacation so it's okay. Hehehe. This is the second best looking current generation game that I have seen (Black Myth Wukong is first) and the variety, depth, combat, gameplay, visuals, just freaking everything looks amazing!!!

So overall, after Miles Morales, an 8.5/10. After Ratchet, should be an excellent 9.0/10.

However, I must decrease the rating at least a half point, maybe a full point for one other reason - they cancelled my #1 most anticipated sequel in Days Gone 2. I'm NOT happy about that. So basically, im looking at an 8-8.5 after Ratchet. UGH.

Conclusion: Since the SNES/GEN generation, I have owned between 2 and 4 consoles in each and every generation and this generation is no exception as owning both is the best of both worlds and I don't care about PC gaming or Nintendo. Super hyped that I chose Xbox Series X to be my primary gaming console because I easily prefer it over PlayStation 5 but I know Sony has great exclusives that I will play day one so that's a great secondary console for me.

Going forward........tomorrow, it's time for Mass Effect Legendary Edition followed by BioMutant next week on Xbox Series X and then during E3 week, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart for PlayStation 5!!! HYPED!!!!!!!!!

Jebron

So I'll be honest, I was going to solely go Series X this generation. I've always owned both Playstation and Xbox platforms, and in the past I usually spend 80% of my time on Xbox. This time around I thought I'd just buy one and stick to it, and with Gamepass I thought this would be a no-brainer. I pre-ordered the Series X and played a bunch of games through the end of the year, it was okay. My brother got a PS5 and after a few sessions at his house, I had to try and find one. I finally got one in early January, and I think my Series X has gotten about 40 hours of use since the start of the year.

And the main reason I've been gravitating to the PS5? I hate the new Xbox controller, more than any previous controller in existence. I absolutely can't stand it. I've gone through 6 Elite (Series 1 and Series 2) controllers all with various issues. I'm on my second Series X controller (first one had drift). The DualSense is absolutely a dream to use, for everything from Astro to Cold War, I absolutely love it. The ergonomics, the features, the weight, it's just so good.

Last edited:

Chiggs

I've been playing more Series X at this point, because I only really cared about Demon's Souls, but will definitely pick up Ratchet in June. I do have Assassin's Creed Valhalla on PS5, so I will probably sink into that over the summer.

As for the PS5:
  • I hate the look
  • I hate the UI
  • I hate the lack of expansion
  • I love the DualSense and quick loading

As for the Xbox Series X:
  • I hate the tiny controller, which now feels cheap compared to DualSense
  • I hate the lack of exclusives on the horizon
  • I hate 343i
  • I love the multi-generational gaming and pretty much everything else

Both consoles are superb, but will really start to shine in 2022. I kind of get the feeling that both systems should have been launched this year, rather than last.

Last edited:
Both consoles are decent for me, but Series X has had 95% of my play time this generation so far because of a) Gamepass b) Rewards/quests c) Sony's releases haven't interested me yet and d) I don't really play games when they come out, I'd rather wait for patches, dlc and sales.

I'm happy as Larry playing Forza Horizon 4, Immortals and now Snowrunner. I spent over one hundred and fifty hours playing AC: Odyssey when I first got my Series X. When Valhalla dips below $30 I'll probably bite on that.

Demon's Souls and Returnal aren't for me at all, I wouldn't even play them for free. I will play Miles, but needs a sale. Same with Sackboy. Ratchet I really want to play, but $70? No chance. I have a feeling though Sony will try and copy Nintendo this generation and maintain an insanely high price.

I do like the PS5's 4K UI, but it's pretty barebones aside from that. And I hate that stupid ambient music that plays all the time, but couldn't figure out how to turn that off and keep the trophy notification sound on - I'm sure you can, but I didn't figure out how yet. That said, I don't really like anything about the Xbox UI so a definite win there. I still prefer the Xbox controller, although the DualSense runs it close this time - I always hated the Dualshock.

Design wise, PS5 is truly a monstrosity, while the Series X looks great... I think as the performance gap becomes more obvious as we move forward my original plan of PS5 for the occasional Sony exclusives, Series X for everything else will prove to have been the right choice for me... Excited to see what MS studios can deliver fairly shortly, and pretty hyped for E3 from both companies...

My ps5 is off for one month or more now….

I don’t care about returnal and RE 7 make me dizzy so I don’t want to try 8.

waiting for ratchet and them turn it off again.

Last edited:

Renozokii

Series X being so damn quiet and small is a hugely undervalued advantage.

PS5 has great games, but its fucking novelty size, needs a stupid flimsy stand and sounds like a wasp riding a bicycle and no two systems sound the same.

Sony are lucky they have good games on it, as the hardware is really poorly designed by comparison (specs aside).
Stand is anything but flimsy. Not sure what situation you’re in handling it that rough anyway. That’s a problem I think you are the first to ever mention.

Even the louder ps5 units are quieter than the ps4s. Seems like such an overblown issue.

As for size I mean... do you not just stick it somewhere and forget about it? To me the Xbox series x looks like I have a pc tower stuck to my tv in the living room which looks borderline cheap. I think the series s has a more stylized look even. Ps5 is like a centerpiece and it looks sick.
I feel exactly the same.
Yea that’s what happens when you continue to iterate. Dual sense isn’t just the first time a ps controller has been more comfortable than an Xbox controller, but is easily the most comfortable controller I’ve ever held, by a mile. Only think that comes close is a joy con in each hand.

Portugeezer

I own both Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 Disc Edition. Xbox Series X is my primary gaming console while the PlayStation 5 is for full exclusives only.

Thus far for Xbox Series X, I have played and completed Gears 5: Hivebusters expansion, Watch Dogs Legion, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Tom Clancy's The Division 2 base game and episodes, Tom Clancy's The Division 2: Warlords of New York expansion, Gears Tactics, Immortals Fenyx Rising: Myths of the Eastern Realm expansion, Outriders, Resident Evil VIII: Village and Tom Clancy's The Division 2: Season One. With the exception of Watch Dogs Legion, every game have played a smooth 60FPS with ultra fast loading times and best of all for me, no controller gimmicks which im not a fan of and I don't care who implements it as all that crap get turned off at the console level.

Have been super thrilled with the Xbox Series X and this is without using Quick Resume, FPS Boost, Auto HDR or playing Backwards Compatible games. Knowing that all of these features are present for me to use if I so choose is a great feeling because even if I don't ever use of any it this entire generation, just knowing that these features are available to me is excellent because it shows the dedication from Microsoft in preserving their past history with Xbox and making those old games better than ever before. Best of all, I do have a few older games that I want to play - Dishonored 2 and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider but im waiting for the current generation upgrade and/or FPS Boost for Dishonored 2. DOTO received a FPS boost so im hoping that Dishonored 2 receives the same eventually. Add in that they're currently testing Dolby Vision to where that may be an "auto" feature to see how that works with games that don't have Dolby Vision. Plus, there's a great chance that they may also add Resolution Boost at some point as well. So features wise, im super satisfied and looking forward to the future.

Despite playing several games to completion, I still have Assassin's Creed Valhalla base game and Wrath of the Druids expansion as well as Cyberpunk 2077 (waiting for the current generation upgrade) in my backlog and just bought Mass Effect Legendary Edition today which is a brand new game for me as I never played any of them. Next week is BioMutant and for June/July, I currently have Necromunda: Hired Gun that im interested in and The Ascent which im very much looking forward to playing.

Controller wise, it's not perfect but I easily prefer it over the PS5 controller but I do wish it was the same size as Xbox One because it would fit my hands better but no biggie as im already used to it. The directional pad is too "clicky" and I liked the directional pad layout on Xbox One better. Overall though, it's a better version of the Xbox One controller due to the Share Button and better latency. Best of all for me, no gimmicks. Turned off vibration at the console level and it's great.

Exclusives wise, it's pretty much non-existent. Gears Tactics was a great 8.0/10 but I prefer Mutant Year Zero and Kingdom Battle more. The Ascent is looking like a great action RPG twin stick shooter set in a cyberpunk universe which yeah, im hyped for!!! Halo Infinite will be later this year and im also expecting to have Wolfenstein III which would give me an overall great year for exclusives despite the first 8 months only really having Gears Tactics for me.

Then of course, we get to Game Pass. Exclusives day one and third party games day one is huge for me because I no longer have to buy any of these games. Between Gears Tactics, The Ascent, Halo Infinite and Wolfenstein III, im going to end up saving $170 total and that's just from the first year. I'm expecting to have at least 20 first party exclusives in which I will save $1000 over the duration of this generation which doesn't third party exclusives like The Ascent or third party multi-platform games being day one on Game Pass.

Overall for me, Xbox Series X is an easy 9.0/10 especially since I own an LG CX OLED which goes perfectly with the console. I can understand people on both sides bashing Xbox Series X/S for not having exclusives at launch outside of Gears Tactics but at the same time, I have never had an amazing launch full of exclusives that I actually purchased and wanted to played. Xbox One had the better launch lineup but how did that work out? In fact, last generation for both PS4 and XBO, I had five games that were no better than a 7.0/10 (Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Infamous First Light, The Order and Until Dawn) and one game that was a 6.5/10 (Knack).

I personally didn't get an 8+ game until Quantum Break and Gears 4 along with Alienation, Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank in 2016. That was over 29 months after launch. So if I get Halo Infinite and Wolfenstein III later this year (along with The Ascent and 2020's Gears Tactics), it's already surpassed the first 29 months of PS4/XBO for me by far. It's not even close. Best of all, 2022 will be better than 2015 which in turns kills those first 29 months of PS4/XBO to where they don't even exist.

Now, on to PlayStation 5. This will be a lot shorter. Starting the system up, I can admit that you do get that "next gen" feeling when you first see and hear the UI/dashboard but once you start to navigate it, my goodness, why did they change it? PS4 Pro was near perfect. It looks better than Xbox Series X due to 4K/HDR but the actual layout is worse and overall, it's the music that when starting up the console gets you hyped. Turn off the music, the hype is simply gone and non-existent. But on the positive side, I have maybe spent 5 minutes total on the PS5 UI/dashboard so in the grand scheme of thing, no biggie and the novelty of it is gone anyway.

Controller wise, I wasn't a fan of the Touch Pad (I see it as nothing more than an oversized world map button) on the PS4. I hated it. Still do and perhaps even more so now because I was hoping they would eliminate it but instead, Sony made it slightly bigger. UGH. The size and weight of the PS5 controller is good though. I'm pretty sure that the PS5 controller is bigger than the XSX controller which I do prefer because it fits my hands better. However, that's where the praise ends. I'm not a fan of haptic feedback/vibration and turned this shit off immediately at the console level. The adaptive triggers were also turned off yet while playing Miles Morales, it's almost as if the game doesn't register it being turned off. So many times, I would press the L2 or R2 button and it wouldn't do what I wanted it to do. Absolutely hate this gimmick. I just want the controller to be a standard basic controller that simply works, has low latency and as little input lag as possible. That's all I care about. Based on Miles, despite having the Adaptive Triggers turned off, im expecting this to be an issue in every PS5 exclusive that I play because despite being turned off, the console isn't registering it and thus, still acts as if you have it turned on. Pressing the trigger(s) halfway to do one thing and then all the way for another is stupid to me because who does that? I have never pressed a trigger or probably any button halfway. Just don't like this at all. Hope these gimmicks die out very quickly as I will be very happy then.

On to the only aspect of PlayStation 5 that I care about which is the full exclusives. In general, they had the better launch lineup, no argument there. However, two of the three Sony published titles (Demon's Souls and Sackboy) were of no interest to me. I know Demon's Souls is a great game but I have zero interest in Souls type games and while Sackboy is easily better than Knack, why would I play that when I can just wait for Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart? I don't need two platformers unless they're top tier.

The one exclusive that I did play and complete was Spider Man: Miles Morales. Great 8.5/10 overall but the optional side content is equally bad if not worse than 2018 Spider Man and the story/characters while great and enjoyable, was too short. If I remember correctly, there was only 17 story campaign missions. Would have liked the story to be longer and the characters dived into more and in exchange, eliminate some of the optional side content completely. Also, I didn't like that you couldn't max out the gadgets unless you played New Game+. Screw that, im not doing that. SMH. Visuals were super, audio was great and combat/gameplay was excellent. An overall great game and im very much looking forward to Spider Man 2.

Not going to even mention Godfall or Destruction All Stars because both fucking suck, plain and simple. The Medium isn't worth talking about either. Moving on....

Returnal. Not into rogue like games at all. Not for me. I love Housemarque and I know the game itself is in the 8-8.5 range because they're a great development studio but again, game just isn't what I would have preferred it to be. If it was a straight forward "Sony type game" then it would have been day one but it's not so it wasn't. With that said, if Housemarque patches in an optional save system where if you die on world 5, you start at the beginning of world 5 with your weapons and whatnot intact, then I will definitely buy it but anything of this, and just nope.

Let me get to as of now, the main event which is Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. Hell yeah!!! Day one!!! Already pre-ordered and paid in full. My biggest complaint and issue is the release date...it's the day before E3 starts, damn it!!! But at least I will be on an 11 day vacation so it's okay. Hehehe. This is the second best looking current generation game that I have seen (Black Myth Wukong is first) and the variety, depth, combat, gameplay, visuals, just freaking everything looks amazing!!!

So overall, after Miles Morales, an 8.5/10. After Ratchet, should be an excellent 9.0/10.

However, I must decrease the rating at least a half point, maybe a full point for one other reason - they cancelled my #1 most anticipated sequel in Days Gone 2. I'm NOT happy about that. So basically, im looking at an 8-8.5 after Ratchet. UGH.

Conclusion: Since the SNES/GEN generation, I have owned between 2 and 4 consoles in each and every generation and this generation is no exception as owning both is the best of both worlds and I don't care about PC gaming or Nintendo. Super hyped that I chose Xbox Series X to be my primary gaming console because I easily prefer it over PlayStation 5 but I know Sony has great exclusives that I will play day one so that's a great secondary console for me.

Going forward........tomorrow, it's time for Mass Effect Legendary Edition followed by BioMutant next week on Xbox Series X and then during E3 week, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart for PlayStation 5!!! HYPED!!!!!!!!!
You had time to play all those games, and still write this novel. Thank you sir.

Beechos

This gen so far seems to be playing out like last gen for me i have all the systems btw. Ps5 sony exclusive machine, switch 2/pro nintendo exclusive machine whenever that comes out, xbox for everything else.

AGRacing

Gold Member
I have both. PS5 has truly felt next-gen with games that take advantage of the DualSense and SSD, like Demon's Souls, Astro's and Returnal. Xbox Series X just feels like an Xbox One Pro-2.
I have both as well. I agree about the controller.

The VRR on Xbox has been great with my TV... and since I've been gaming for decades I've been extremely appreciative of the legacy support (LOVE auto HDR!). The Xbox has what it takes.. and the exclusives are coming. After being an early skeptic I'm beginning to like game pass as well. I love both consoles... but I have to give credit to Microsoft for the best machine they've ever made and the OS features to back it up. It's nowhere near as easy to dismiss for me as the Xbox One was.

Renozokii

Still pushing the performance narrative huh. I guess some people are really impressed by backwards compatibility and don't know what x86 architecture is.
What are you trying that backwards comparable mass effect isn’t a better representation of what a console can do compared to fully native games like ratchet that blow bc games completely out of the water? Fool!

Neither console has really offered anything next gen yet. The closest thing is the SSD, these things make a gargantuan difference. I don't want to go back to my PS4 or Scorpio, not because of any graphics or gameplay that can't be done without PS5/XSX, but because of the load times.

More power to anyone who has enjoyed their PS5 and its games, it certainly has crushed the XSX in terms of number of next gen only games but again... they aren't really offering anything new.

TwistedSyn

As of right now I am loving my PS5. Last game I played on it was Returnal and that game was crack for me that week. Though having it crash 4 times was annoying.
Back to my PC till Rift Apart comes out.

Riky

$MSFT
Truly a baffling perspective. Being content playing nothing but old games at higher frame rates just... idk. As someone that has been buying next gen consoles day one since the ps3 i can’t imagine paying money for something that’s like a ps3-2x I can’t imagine my haul as a kid with a brand new console being a bunch of discount old games I could have already played years ago, but now they run slightly better? When I got an Xbox one I got rise and my jaw was on the ground over what was possible with the new hardware. I don’t think playing halo 3 at 60fps would have had the same effect.

I've been playing new games, Resident Evil 8, Outriders, Watch Dogs Legion, Valhalla etc
Online multiplayer like Warzone and Gears 5 which also got a single player expansion with Hivebusters are constantly evolving experiences, having double the framerate and the frame time and latency advantages are complete game changers.

Last edited:
My XSX is my favorite console. Switch and PS4 are collecting dust for now.
Truly a baffling perspective. Being content playing nothing but old games at higher frame rates just... idk. As someone that has been buying next gen consoles day one since the ps3 i can’t imagine paying money for something that’s like a ps3-2x I can’t imagine my haul as a kid with a brand new console being a bunch of discount old games I could have already played years ago, but now they run slightly better? When I got an Xbox one I got rise and my jaw was on the ground over what was possible with the new hardware. I don’t think playing halo 3 at 60fps would have had the same effect.
New 3rd party games are a thing, you know. In fact, judging by sales, most PS5 owners play Spiderman + 3rd party games + the old games they get on PS Plus. So there's not much of a difference between the two consoles.

Renozokii

My XSX is my favorite console. Switch and PS4 are collecting dust for now.

New 3rd party games are a thing, you know. In fact, judging by sales, most PS5 owners play Spiderman + 3rd party games + the old games they get on PS Plus. So there's not much of a difference between the two consoles.
Well we’ve seen massive splits flavoring ps5 such as hitman. PlayStation 5 owners have gotten a pretty wide array of exclusives thus far so its odd to say they all play the same old games. And yes third parties are definitely a thing. But ps5 has all those third parties, most of which are far more interesting to play with the dual sense feature, while also having a solid list of exclusives already, including next gen only games that hint at what this gen has to offer.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PS5
+ Offers discless version for $100 less which is good for digital only gamers
+ A bunch of PS5 games like R&C, DS, Returnal etc...
+ You get that 15 game freebie pack of good first and third games
- Huge console
- Worse BC boosts
- OS features seem worse, including still no external SSD allowed

Xbox Series S/X
+ More powerful
+ Quiet and compact
+ Better BC
+ Adding tons of OS features and value all the time, incl more stuff towards cross play, xcloud, Game Pass focus etc...
+ Scored The Show 21
+ or - A cheap $300 S model. Good for bargain hunters, not good if you believe the theory of lowest common denominator coding and only has 512gb SSD
+ or - Seagate SSD card. Available now and works same as internal. But its $220 US alone and who knows about more options later
- Barely any next gen only games (Medium, who knows what else)
- No digital only Series X like PS5's cheaper digital model

Last edited:

Renozokii

I've been playing new games, Resident Evil 8, Outriders, Watch Dogs Legion, Valhalla etc
Online multiplayer like Warzone and Gears 5 which also got a single player expansion with Hivebusters are constantly evolving experiences, having double the framerate and the frame time and latency advantages are complete game changers.
Right so you play and buy third parties (3 of those games aren’t in game pass meaning you’ve spent at least 180 past gamepass to get new games you want to play already) and play beefed up older games. On ps5 I play third parties on a far superior controller, still have bc with many games running significantly better, and most importantly have titles like returnal, demons souls, Astro bots, and ratchet that bring actual next gen experiences to me and offer a feeling of 500 well spent. I wonder, once pc parts cheapen (which should be when the new consoles are in stock anyway) what reason there will even be to purchase an Xbox series console. Microsoft is blurring the lines and PCs do all of the feature Xbox is pushing better,

Well we’ve seen massive splits flavoring ps5 such as hitman.
Hitman is on Xbox too, that's my point.
PlayStation 5 owners have gotten a pretty wide array of exclusives thus far so its odd to say they all play the same old games.
Yes, but most people only care for Spiderman so far. That too was my point.
But ps5 has all those third parties, most of which are far more interesting to play with the dual sense feature
Ooff Ouffff GIF by memecandy

Top Bottom