• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: PlayStation 5 vs. Xbox Series X: 6 Months Later

Kagey K

Banned
>Sounds like someone who hasn't used the feature trying to downplay it, while making a different feature seem more dramatic than it is.

Have used it, and by the chance I hadn’t you act as if it’s some complex, abstract feature when it’s not. I think everyone can get the general concept of suspending a game indefinitely and booting it up as is at a later time. I just think it’s an ok feature at best and that playstations solution is moderately better when integrated properly b

>Cards aren't going to get you to the exact spot you shut the game off in under 10 seconds, but keep pretending they are identical.

No but manual saves and the lightning fast loading times via the ssd damn near can. And between starting a game the second I stopped even when at a not particularly good stopping point, or cards that allow me to start an activity, mission, or mode in about 10 seconds at my discretion makes considerably more sense. Even those with PCs that can theoretically minimize a game and play another in the mean time don’t typically do it. They save, exit, and start whatever it is.
Sounds like the same can be said for you.

It's not suspending a game. It's suspending multiple games, but I'm not going to argue with you, you think they are comparable. In reality they are two different things.

I prefer one of them.

Renozokii

It's not suspending a game. It's suspending multiple games, but I'm not going to argue with you, you think they are comparable. In reality they are two different things.

I prefer one of them.
And that’s fine. My point is people with good enough PCs could have been doing something similar but none really do. With a fast enough ssd some of these new games boot in literal seconds. It’s a feature that becomes irrelevant as more current gen only games come out and make full use of the loading times. I don’t want to boot forza in the middle of a race I don’t remember because someone invited me to cod a month ago and I put forza away in the suspend. I think sales and demand of these consoles speak for themselves and these series x features that get hyped up are overblown and more people want to talk about how great they are than actually use them on a regular basis.

I have both. PS5 has truly felt next-gen with games that take advantage of the DualSense and SSD, like Demon's Souls, Astro's and Returnal. Xbox Series X just feels like an Xbox One Pro-2.
Yeah right. Come back to us when the PSV can handle Dobly Vision, VRR, Quick resume and btw I have both too.

hHVdPPH.jpg

ManaByte

Gold Member
And that’s fine. My point is people with good enough PCs could have been doing something similar but none really do. With a fast enough ssd some of these new games boot in literal seconds. It’s a feature that becomes irrelevant as more current gen only games come out and make full use of the loading times. I don’t want to boot forza in the middle of a race I don’t remember because someone invited me to cod a month ago and I put forza away in the suspend. I think sales and demand of these consoles speak for themselves and these series x features that get hyped up are overblown and more people want to talk about how great they are than actually use them on a regular basis.
Some of the quick resume dismissals really come off like this:
40 year old virgin sand GIF

ethomaz

Banned

I prefer one of them.
It is more like save states... it not similar to suspending indeed.

Renozokii

Some of the quick resume dismissals really come off like this:
40 year old virgin sand GIF
Xbox fans are free to explain how Sony’s solution between cards and the ssd getting loading times down to sub 10 seconds isn’t as good or better than quick resume. You can boot up a game exactly where you were in about 10 seconds. I can load up from a save or from a side mission or other activity via the cards in about the same time in Astro and mile morals for example. I genuinely don’t want most games to be at the second I stopped when I boot them up. It’s like when you save Skyrim and then load it up a lot month later with no idea what you were doing but on a grander scale. Not to mention the feature breaks in anything that’s online and you have to reset anyway. On the other hand I can go straight to tdm in cod without hitting a single menu.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Xbox fans are free to explain how Sony’s solution between cards and the ssd getting loading times down to sub 10 seconds isn’t as good or better than quick resume. You can boot up a game exactly where you were in about 10 seconds. I can load up from a save or from a side mission or other activity via the cards in about the same time in Astro and mile morals for example. I genuinely don’t want most games to be at the second I stopped when I boot them up. It’s like when you save Skyrim and then load it up a lot month later with no idea what you were doing but on a grander scale. Not to mention the feature breaks in anything that’s online and you have to reset anyway. On the other hand I can go straight to tdm in cod without hitting a single menu.

I have both systems. The Sony system is in no way the same. It's the same as it was on the PS4. For 99% of the games you still have to boot through all of the opening logos, the menus, etc to get to your saved game. Quick resume just shows the game splash screen and then instantly places you were you suspended the game.

scalman

yes 6 months later ... where are normal prices ... you know those
50349535038_42fa72f759_k.jpg

and similar for xbox series consoles... so yh 6 month .. and last time i check my local shop in europe cheapest PS5 digital was like 700 euros... what ?

Renozokii

I have both systems. The Sony system is in no way the same. It's the same as it was on the PS4. For 99% of the games you still have to boot through all of the opening logos, the menus, etc to get to your saved game. Quick resume just shows the game splash screen and then instantly places you were you suspended the game.
Because of the assload of cross gen game. Boot Spider-Man from an activity card let me know how long it takes. And all those forced splash screens are on devs not Sony.

Because of the assload of cross gen game. Boot Spider-Man from an activity card let me know how long it takes. And all those forced splash screens are on devs not Sony.
The beauty of technology is when the devs don't have to do extra work to benefit the gamer. See things like fps boost which requires no work on the developers part to take advantage of. The same is said about quick resume. The devs don't have to program for it. It just works. It is the essence of console gaming. You can also toss in the expansion memory card which for Xbox it just works. There is no equivalent on PS5 and we have no idea when there will be.

Last edited:

Renozokii

The beauty of technology is when the devs don't have to do extra work to benefit the gamer. See things like fps boost which requires no work on the developers part to take advantage of. The same is said about quick resume. The devs don't have to program for it. It just works. It is the essence of console gaming. You can also toss in the expansion memory card which for Xbox it just works. There is no equivalent on PS5 and we have no idea when there will be.
I’m just saying the tech is there and in full execution I think it’s objectively superior. There are a shit load of games I don’t want to start at the exact second I stopped them. I want to be back at an auto save or the menu first so I can pick an activity. The ps5s ssd should be able to reasonably load any game within 5-15 seconds from cold boot to in game. We’ve seen it done. If devs want to put some splash screens first it adds less than 10 second. We are talking about sub 10 second differences here and that’s only when devs force the logos. But I get to start at an actual menu and in a racing game for example get to start at the beginning of a race or change up my car first. Not in the middle of a race because I stopped a game in the middle of one. And with activity cards which are already implemented from astros to cod to Spider-Man, I skip the splash screen and start exactly where I want to from the start, this all taking about 10 seconds. The only way in which suspend resume wins is perhaps in rpgs where you don’t really start or stop anywhere specific. Even than, the ps5 is fully capable of loading those types of games in damn near how long suspend resume takes. That’s all I’m saying. People with beefy enough PCs could basically brute force “suspend resume” by just minimizing a game but they choose not to. That tells me enough about the demand. What I have seen in pc gaming, is games that allow you to start at a specific menu or mode from launch, as well as people changing stuff up in steam to load games right into something specific, which sounds like activity cards to me.

I’m just saying the tech is there and in full execution I think it’s objectively superior. There are a shit load of games I don’t want to start at the exact second I stopped them. I want to be back at an auto save or the menu first so I can pick an activity. The ps5s ssd should be able to reasonably load any game within 5-15 seconds from cold boot to in game. We’ve seen it done. If devs want to put some splash screens first it adds less than 10 second. We are talking about sub 10 second differences here and that’s only when devs force the logos. But I get to start at an actual menu and in a racing game for example get to start at the beginning of a race or change up my car first. Not in the middle of a race because I stopped a game in the middle of one. And with activity cards which are already implemented from astros to cod to Spider-Man, I skip the splash screen and start exactly where I want to from the start, this all taking about 10 seconds. The only way in which suspend resume wins is perhaps in rpgs where you don’t really start or stop anywhere specific. Even than, the ps5 is fully capable of loading those types of games in damn near how long suspend resume takes. That’s all I’m saying. People with beefy enough PCs could basically brute force “suspend resume” by just minimizing a game but they choose not to. That tells me enough about the demand. What I have seen in pc gaming, is games that allow you to start at a specific menu or mode from launch, as well as people changing stuff up in steam to load games right into something specific, which sounds like activity cards to me.
At the end of the day a feature that just works is far more likely to be used than one that requires developer input. It's cool that activity cards, when fully supported, offers a way to skip past some loading screens it still isn't the same as picking up my personal game where I left off not where a developer thought I should be. There are plenty of reviews out there where people tried both features and pretty consistently quick resume gets mentioned as the better feature. They aren't the same. None of that takes away from the PS5 bring a nice device. It's just one that didn't take a lot of care to offer certain features the Xbox did.

Last edited:
At least Sony has games. Morales, Returnal, Demons Souls and now Rachet Clank.

Xbox hasnt released anything this whole year.

And Halo Infinte has to be much much better than it did during the launch window. After waiting this long, and raising expectations. And 343 have only failed so far when it comes to Halo.

kyussman

Damn,six months gone already...that went really fast and of course no next gen for me yet.
I would like to think sometime within the next six months I'll be able to get my hands on both consoles.....honestly not very hopeful though.

GuinGuin

Banned
At least Sony has games. Morales, Returnal, Demons Souls and now Rachet Clank.

Xbox hasnt released anything this whole year.

And Halo Infinte has to be much much better than it did during the launch window. After waiting this long, and raising expectations. And 343 have only failed so far when it comes to Halo.
It disappoints me how people leave off Astro's Playroom and Destruction Allstars.

If you're talking only console exclusives then PS5 also had Godfall all to itself at launch (I think it's still the only platform it's available on, gotta check). Also, Astro's Playroom. So 3 games that could only be experienced on PS5 at launch.

For sure but it still pales in comparison to something like the PS2s launch or even the 360. Where you had 12-24 games to choose from that while some were multiplatform, almost all were next gen only.

CD-I had more exclusive launch games than the Series X and PS5 combined. Even adding all the exclusive next gen games that have come since like Returnal.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Astros playroom is the best Sony exclusive and wins this fight hands down. The fact it was free with the ps5 just cements it.

For sure but it still pales in comparison to something like the PS2s launch or even the 360. Where you had 12-24 games to choose from that while some were multiplatform, almost all were next gen only.

CD-I had more exclusive launch games than the Series X and PS5 combined. Even adding all the exclusive next gen games that have come since like Returnal.
Well, times have changed. Nothing too surprising and in the middle of a Pandemic. PS2 was the only game in town back then, honestly. Anyway, people don't buy a console for the first 6 months of its life. PS5 already has more exclusives released and coming very soon. The state of the industry remains the same, there aren't as many exclusives as there were 20 years ago.

And the 360 launch you say? Take a look again, most of those games were on PC/multiplat.

Last edited:
Only when they ignore that most of them are on PS4 as well
Is there a reason to ignore Miles Morales just because it's also on PS4? And perhaps the best next gen game is Demons Souls Remake, which is not on PS4. It also has the excellent Astros Playroom. Face it, PS5 has great exclusives and XSX doesn't and the talking points from both sides proves what I said.

Top Bottom