• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Phil Spencer on The Future of Xbox, including Game Pass, Xbox Games Studios and Project Scarlett.

Psykodad

Banned
I think where we don't see eye to eye is sales on their boxes being more than fine. Unless XSX sells 15-20 million TOTAL I don't see any reason to get out of the console business. But I don't see the XSX doing worse than Xbox One in any capacity.
Fair enough.

Acquiring new studios doesn't make a lot of sense if they are going to push streaming. Comparing to Netflix just isn't the same. Its a different type of entertainment that requires input and that will never be solved in the near future. Game Pass can't take off with only being on streaming imo. The hardcore crowd won't stay subscribed for streaming.
Not if they go the 3rd party publisher route, with their own streaming services.

But I think we should just agree to disagree.

Last edited:
I think where we don't see eye to eye is sales on their boxes being more than fine. Unless XSX sells 15-20 million TOTAL I don't see any reason to get out of the console business. But I don't see the XSX doing worse than Xbox One in any capacity.

Acquiring new studios doesn't make a lot of sense if they are going to push streaming. Comparing to Netflix just isn't the same. Its a different type of entertainment that requires input and that will never be solved in the near future. Game Pass can't take off with only being on streaming imo. The hardcore crowd won't stay subscribed for streaming.

Plus no hardware makes GamePass returns a lot smaller because why on Earth would Sony or Nintendo allow it on their hardware? We saw how Sony reacted to EA Access, GamePass is superior on every level. And even if they allowed it, they’d want a sizable cut. So if MS went third party theyd see no more XBLG revenue, no more hardware profits, no more platform royalties, no more cuts from digital sales, and less returns from whatever GamePass and xCloud end up costing next gen. All for what? They can expand to phones and smart TVs plus have their own box.

Just seems bizarre to think they’re actually moving forward trying to achieve the original Xbone vision. The Xbone vision was zero control over any of your content, physical or digital. You couldn’t play it without an internet connection, you couldn’t lend or rent games, and you could only trade them in at specific retailers which would have led to terrible trade in values.

But the current vision gives you complete control of everything you own. Even some of your old games going back to the OG Xbox can be played with no restrictions. And in the future the games you own you can play anywhere via xCloud. Then you have initiatives like Play Anywhere which gives you more freedom and control with digital titles. And GamePass which gives you access to tons of games, which you can download and then play Internet free if you want.

Seems like a ridiculous stretch to say they’re secretly pushing to go back to the dark days of the Xbone reveal. It’s like oh hey remember that time when our brand was almost completely destroyed? Yeah? And we worked hard for years and years to restore faith in the brand? Yeah and now we’re about to launch a new kick ass console with lots of shit customers want and we just bought a ton of new studios? Yeah let’s just go back to what we wanted with Xbone and get rid of hardware and shit. Sounds great!

Makes no sense but hey this dude has a hunch 🤷🏻‍♂️

Plus no hardware makes GamePass returns a lot smaller because why on Earth would Sony or Nintendo allow it on their hardware? We saw how Sony reacted to EA Access, GamePass is superior on every level. And even if they allowed it, they’d want a sizable cut. So if MS went third party theyd see no more XBLG revenue, no more hardware profits, no more platform royalties, no more cuts from digital sales, and less returns from whatever GamePass and xCloud end up costing next gen. All for what? They can expand to phones and smart TVs plus have their own box.

Just seems bizarre to think they’re actually moving forward trying to achieve the original Xbone vision. The Xbone vision was zero control over any of your content, physical or digital. You couldn’t play it without an internet connection, you couldn’t lend or rent games, and you could only trade them in at specific retailers which would have led to terrible trade in values.

But the current vision gives you complete control of everything you own. Even some of your old games going back to the OG Xbox can be played with no restrictions. And in the future the games you own you can play anywhere via xCloud. Then you have initiatives like Play Anywhere which gives you more freedom and control with digital titles. And GamePass which gives you access to tons of games, which you can download and then play Internet free if you want.

Seems like a ridiculous stretch to say they’re secretly pushing to go back to the dark days of the Xbone reveal. It’s like oh hey remember that time when our brand was almost completely destroyed? Yeah? And we worked hard for years and years to restore faith in the brand? Yeah and now we’re about to launch a new kick ass console with lots of shit customers want and we just bought a ton of new studios? Yeah let’s just go back to what we wanted with Xbone and get rid of hardware and shit. Sounds great!

Makes no sense but hey this dude has a hunch 🤷🏻‍♂️
Everything you said about the downside of going third party, is true.

And I never ever claimed that it was a good idea.

But the only reason I even believe it, is due to the way Microsoft had been setting up next gen. That, and their talk about how console sales not mattering. Of course console sales matter, but I am not sure Microsoft was lying or actually believed it. That's the problem here. Microsoft may be talking out of both sides of their mouth, but we don't know what their real plan was. It just seemed so convoluted when they could have just done everything the traditional way, and fight Sony in a straight up launch battle like they used to.

Top Bottom