• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - Phil Spencer Interview: 20 Years of Xbox

I’d add Machine Games, The Coalition and Turn 10 to that list. I don’t care if their games are not GOTY, they’re as talented as the best that Sony has to offer.

For sure, I was just going by the ones I've seen generally viewed as top tier, I love the Wolfenstein and Gears games, and if I liked sim racers I'm sure I'd love Motorsport. They're all very talented studios, I just didn't want to put too many studios on the list in case it undersold my point or made me look too biased

Zok310

Banned
Phil all i care about is why the fuck is The Medium the only next gen game available on SX nearly 1 year after launch?

Topher

Gold Member
I presume you're only talking about Naughty Dog as they're the only Sony Studio who has consistently won GOTY awards. I mean that's your yardstick for rating a developer in your own words, "Combine the output of those 23 studios and they produced fewer GOTY award winners than Sony's studios over this last generation".

Pretty silly statement to make don't you think? Also God of War should never have beaten RDR2 in 2018.

Stating facts is silly? Naughty Dog won two consensus GOTY awards last gen. Santa Monica won one. Microsoft/Bethesda combined won none. That you disagree with God of War winning is irrelevant. They factually did win. And I never said anything about "consistently" winning anything. I referred to the "output" of the "combined" studios.

Sorry, but if you are going to make lofty claims about these studios being as good as Sony's then you need to back it up with something more than "23 > 13". Microsoft and Zenimax has published some great games. But none of them have been good enough to reach Naughty Dog and Santa Monica's levels with widespread consensus critical acclaim.

It's the 13 is better than 23 because they've won a few GOTY awards 🙄 Bethesda has won GOTY as well but people have seemingly forgotten about that 😆

It has been 10 years since Bethesda won a consensus GOTY with Skyrim in 2011. The closest they have come since then was Fallout 4 in 2015 when The Witcher 3 won. You can keep repeating 23 > 13 all you want, but what does any of that matter without looking at the games? The pictures I posted are just as accurate. 3 is indeed great than 1.

Last edited:

RGB'D

Phil all i care about is why the fuck is The Medium the only next gen game available on SX nearly 1 year after launch?
I'm willing to wait and see how 2021 finishes. 2022 and 2023 look amazing... however if that changes, my alarm bells are going to start ringing

Dam phil really did not want to speak about the history of xbox, i wonder why.
Anything MS is doing going forward is way more interesting than what they did in the past. They have already brought tons of innovative ideas to consoles historically it's time to talk about the innovations of tomorrow.

MS said most games hitting their platform will be cross gen. Flight Simulator will most likely be the only Series exclusive title from MS this year. Phil was not kidding when he spoke about X1 support. MS was attacked for not 'believing in generations' but at least they were honest.

Greggy

Stating facts is silly? Naughty Dog won two consensus GOTY awards last gen. Santa Monica won one. Microsoft/Bethesda combined won none. That you disagree with God of War winning is irrelevant. They factually did win. And I never said anything about "consistently" winning anything. I referred to the "output" of the "combined" studios.

Sorry, but if you are going to make lofty claims about these studios being as good as Sony's then you need to back it up with something more than "23 > 13". Microsoft and Zenimax has published some great games. But none of them have been good enough to reach Naughty Dog and Santa Monica's levels with widespread consensus critical acclaim.

It has been 10 years since Bethesda won a consensus GOTY with Skyrim in 2011. The closest they have come since then was Fallout 4 in 2015 when The Witcher 3 won. You can keep repeating 23 > 13 all you want, but what does any of that matter without looking at the games? The pictures I posted are just as accurate. 3 is indeed great than 1.
Funny how we no longer hear "Xbox has no exclusives". The goal post has shifted to "only Sony studios have won GOTY awards last gen". So has From Software and whoever made Hades. I don't see your point.

odhiex

This is a good interview, Ryan did a good job in asking tough but respectful questions. Phill did dodge a few bullets tho by not answering them e.g the Elder Scrolls 6 exclusivity among others..hehehe.

Topher

Gold Member
Funny how we no longer hear "Xbox has no exclusives". The goal post has shifted to "only Sony studios have won GOTY awards last gen". So has From Software and whoever made Hades. I don't see your point.

Who is "we"? I've never said "Xbox has no exclusives" so no goal post moving here. "From Software and whoever made Hades" are not Zenimax or Microsoft and neither have won consensus GOTY which is what I was clear in referencing. If you still don't see the point then.....

Marlon Brando Movie GIF

Stuart360

Imagine boasting about awards in a industry as dodgy as this one.
Besides if you asked a lot of random gamers, i bet many of them would say Morrowind, Oblivion, Falliut 3 and 4, New Vegas, Skyrim, DOOM 2016, DOOM Eternal, were game of the year contenders for them personally.

Topher

Gold Member
Imagine boasting about awards in a industry as dodgy as this one.
Besides if you asked a lot of random gamers, i bet many of them would say Morrowind, Oblivion, Falliut 3 and 4, New Vegas, Skyrim, DOOM 2016, DOOM Eternal, were game of the year contenders for them personally.

You are right. 23 > 13 is a much better way of judging studio output. Less "dodgy".

Meme Reaction GIF

Top Bottom