• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Like a Dragon: Ishin - The Final Preview

Summary:
- Like other Yakuza games this one features a blend of a gritty storyline and dizzy ensemble comedy. Still has the insane sidequests, intricate relationship building subsystems and fleshed out minigames
- Its rendered very good for a game that is nearly a decade old, has that plastic look from Yakuza 0. RGG studios has done some impressive work in the cutscenes
- when shooting with a gun there is a special ability that puts you in a dreamy bullet time state to help you better line up your shot
- Out of the 4 different fighting styles Wild Dancer(wielding a sword in one hand and a gun in another hand) was his favorite.if you watch the video he drunkenly flails around and unleashes bullets in different directions and compares this move to something out of Devil May Cry
- Using a gun does feel different than traditional Yakuza combat(duh)
- Sega cast modern day yakuza characters to play characters in this spin off(already known)

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Love the Yakuza/Like A Dragon games, but rarely buy them at launch. They always come out at bad times.

Still need to play Lost Judgment too.

Nankatsu

Next few months for my wallet:

begging no money GIF

This game makes me wet and I don't even have the right equipment for that. Now let's have a Like a Dragon: Kenzan and my life will be whole.

Maybe a remake of the PSP Black Panther games...

Last edited:

GymWolf

The only thing i hate is the game lacking the sweet ragdoll of the latest yakuza games, it was a must throwing people around, precanned shit looks ancient.

Are they even using the dragon engine for this one?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

kiphalfton

This free on game pass or something?

Also not sure how you guys who love the Yakuza games don't get fatigue from the number of games released. Played Yakuza Kiwami, and although I liked it, I don't see playing all the games as they're like 30+ hours long.

Last edited:
Already preordered on the PSN.
Fun fact:
https://wccftech.com/like-a-dragon-ishin-unreal-engine-4

this game uses Unreal Engine as an early test to see if they should continue to upgrade their own Dragon Engine with modern rendering technologies (global illumination, ray tracing, etc) or if it's better to shift to UE5 for the future.
While Unreal Engine 5 has its unarguable strengths, I will miss Dragon Engine. It was so clunky yet so good at the same time.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Also not sure how you guys who love the Yakuza games don't get fatigue from the number of games released. Played Yakuza Kiwami, and although I liked it, I don't see playing all the games as they're like 30+ hours long.
Played through the whole series (10 games) in the span of two years. Sorry but no, I can't get enough.

Sadly no, it's Unreal Engine 4 for some reason.

https://www.ungeek.ph/2022/11/like-...ce-between-unreal-engine-4-and-dragon-engine/

Which is sad, I loved sending fuckers 100 meters away with a kick in Lost Judgment.
I was actually pretty sour on the Dragon Engine for Kiwami 2 and even 6, but Judgment was solid and Lost Judgment's combat is REALLY refined and makes strong use of it. At the same time, I think it'll be a nice change of pace to go back to the older system for a bit. It will certainly be interesting to see how they progress going forward though. Dragon Engine has it's ups but boy oh boy does it have it's downs, especially with some of it's graphical issues.

GymWolf

This free on game pass or something?

That's why i space these games at least 4-5 months from each other.

TintoConCasera

Is this a direct sequel? Not clicking ign shit but loved like a dragon
No, it's a fan service game.

With that I mean that it's a story of it's own, but you'll miss all the character references from the Yakuza games if you haven't played them.

A.Romero

Is this releasing on PC at the same time as other platforms?

Probably not day 1 but I will definitely play this at some point.

Jinzo Prime

Is this a direct sequel? Not clicking ign shit but loved like a dragon
No, this a remake of a spin-off game called Ryū ga Gotoku Ishin! that reimagined the Yakuza cast as samurai in late Edo period Japan.

It has similar gameplay and story as the original Yakuza games, but set in a different time period.

spawn

That looked cool. Looks like a traditional Yakuza game, but I like the combat and the blood splatter. Now I'm hyped

SkylineRKR

This is a day one. This game launched with the PS4 and the fact its being localized is crazy. I should be fine, my last was Lost Judgment (which was my GOTY as well). Yes don't play them in succession.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Still haven't clarified it you'll be able to disable the new super moves on bosses.

Anyway, it's good news. They've decided to add youtubers as card characters for some goddamn reason, so it's nice to know that you can safely ignore that aspect of the game.

Top Bottom