• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Japan have published their top 10 Sega games of all time. Do you agree?

JonnyMP3

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 not being there is crazy. The hype that game brought worldwide says they really didn't take any of their own criteria seriously. There was a reason the day of release was called Sonic 2sday.
An argument could be made for Sonic the Hedgehog 1 as it was the game that made the Megadrive/Genesis and thus Sega the success it was back in the day. But Sonic Adventure? Really? What historical impact did that have compared to literally creating the company's mascot and turning him into a world wide cultural phenomena?

Rran

Where the heck is Skies of Arcadia? One of the best JRPGs ever and my personal favorite Sega game. The lack of Streets of Rage is a head-scratcher as well.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 not being there is crazy. The hype that game brought worldwide says they really didn't take any of their own criteria seriously. There was a reason the day of release was called Sonic 2sday.
An argument could be made for Sonic the Hedgehog 1 as it was the game that made the Megadrive/Genesis and thus Sega the success it was back in the day. But Sonic Adventure? Really? What historical impact did that have compared to literally creating the company's mascot and turning him into a world wide cultural phenomena?

I really don't get the love for Sonic Adventure. It wasn't even great when it launched, and it hasn't held up very well either. I still think Sonic 2 is the best game in the series.

Number 5 : Sonic CD
Number 9 : Street of Rage 2

And now we're takking.
No DAYTONA USA, the best selling arcade of all time?

Sonic Adventure over Sonic CD?
Shenmue???

Fucking walking simulator copied by you know who 20yrs later.
Sonic Adventure shouldn't get a sniff in a Sega top ten!
Not played Shenmue so cannot comment there but Miku???? MIKU!?!? She isn't even a legit SEGA IP but a license!!

Surprised to see Sonic Adventure on there.
Shenmue is fucking trash-tier. Sonic Adventure over Sonic 2? Project Diva garbage over like... Space Channel 5? No Phantasy Star of any sort?!!
it seems that this list is based off Japanese taste, they most likely like Adventure over any of the classic games, and they seem to love Shenmue and Hatsune Miku, with the latter being a cultural icon in Japan, hence they put those games and didn't put the games that appealed more to westerners like Streets of Rage or Classic Sonic, as those probably didn't do well in Japan. with the possible exception of Phantasy Star.

Sonic 2 is better. I don't even know what Sonic Adventure is. I stopped playing after Sonic & Knuckles because it seemed like they were trying too hard to make Sonic cool.

Probably needs Ecco the Dolphin on that list.
Sonic Adventure is the very first real 3D Sonic game, the one that introduced RPG-esque hub worlds, a bigger emphasis on story, a more realistic world with humans, multiple characters with multiple gameplay styles, and the incredibly indepth Tamagotchi-esque pet simulator, the Chao Garden

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Streets of Rage 2 has one of the grooviest soundtracks of all time. Please challenge me.

---------------------------------

I don't really agree with much of that list at all, but they are all good games regardless.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Fucking hell, Sega fans Of IGN Japan.
No Panzer Dragoon, no Shining Force, NO ZAXXON... but the cherry on the top of the shit cake has got to be Sega's own stunning disregard for the jewel in their gaming crown, The Master System built in Snail game.

My stupid brand loyalty can on be stretched so far, Sega.

Last edited:

Banned
I realise I'm slightly LTTP with this as this was published a few weeks ago now but couldn't see any threads on it and was interested to get NeoGAF's thoughts. IGN Japan's top 10 Sega games of all time:
  1. Shenmue
  2. Yakuza 0
  3. Virtua Fighter 4
  4. Nights into Dreams
  5. Sonic Adventure
  6. Valkyria Chronicles
  7. Jet Set Radio
  8. Sakura Wars 4
  9. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA
  10. Out Run
Notes on the selection:
  • Eligibility: any game ever developed or published by SEGA, regardless of platform.
  • Factors considered included historical impact, innovation and quality.
  • In the case of a game series, only one title from the series could be selected.
  • Titles by Atlus, a subsidiary of SEGA, were excluded.

FUUUCK no! Sonic Adventure is pure trash. it can be enjoyed the way The Room can be enjoyed, as a sarcastic "look how fuckign shit this is lol" way. Its absolute lack of any quality outweighs its cultural impact imo
Hastune Miku? what?... no!

if you go by Quality and Cultural impact, Sonic 2 IS BY FAR the highest on the list for Sega. that game literally launched the MegaDrive into orbit, you could debate Sonic 1 did, but I think Sonic 2 was by far the most popular one and solidified it as an IP

also on a global scale Golden Axe was an important IP for Sega, but IMO the quality of them was always wonky at best (very mediocre beat em ups across the board)

for the rest on the list, yeah, they are definitely debatable to be on the list, Valkyria Chronicles is a bit niche tho, and not outstandingly great in any way,
and Nights into Dreams? I know it has its fans, but was it impactful? was it especially amazing? it was alright, and it has a cult following but... yeah... I would easily place Daytona USA above it in both quality and importance

and where is Streets of Rage?

all in all, this is a very Japan centric list, which is to be expected I guess, but therefore it's also kinda incorrect imo

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
if you go by Quality and Cultural impact, Sonic 2 IS BY FAR the highest on the list for Sega. that game literally launched the MegaDrive into orbit, you could debate Sonic 1 did, but I think Sonic 2 was by far the most popular one and solidified it as an IP
I can say that Sonic 2 was the reason I begged my Mom for a Genesis for Christmas back in the day. Saw it running on a kiosk in a store and was blown away by what I was seeing.

Last edited:

Banned
I can say that Sonic 2 was the reason I begged my Mom for a Genesis for Christmas back in the day. Saw it running on a kiosk in a store and was blown away by what I was seeing.

yeah, Sonic 2 was THE first MegaDrive game I played as a kid, because my cousin (who owned said MegaDrive) showed it to me before anything else on the system.
THAT GAME was IMPORTANT... Sonic Adventure had its 15min of "Wow look at these next gen graphics" but after that? did it help the Dreamcast from bankrupting Sega? nope...

Last edited:

SumJester

Glad that there are some people here that look beyond console bundles and recognize S3&K as the true Sonic master piece. (Mania following that)

(Outrun love is also apreciated)

Now i wait for the day where Bare Knuckle 3 isn't draged by SOR3...

SpiceRacz

I can list at least 40 Sega games better than Sonic Adventure.

My personal list in no particular order:

Virtua Tennis
Out Run 2
Crazy Taxi
Sega Rally
Shinobi 3
Streets of Rage 2
Sonic 1
Jet Grind Radio
Ghouls N Ghosts (Genesis)
Shenmue

IGN what a joke. I'm amazed they never put Football Manager and Alien Isolation in there too *rollseyes*

If I was going to post mine it would be

1. Panzer Dragoon
  2. REZ
  3. JSRF
  4. PSO
  5. Power Drift
  6. Sega Rally (Saturn)
  7. Golden Axe
  8. Outrun
  9. Decathlete
  10. Get Bass

Naked Lunch

I dont agree with that list but really, after all this time, Sega's in-house games are almost all legends. You cant go wrong with any of them. Their sheer variety puts all other devs to shame no question. And almost all their games still hold up today.

Platformers, to graffitti tagging, to rally racing, to fishing, futuristic RPGs, maraca-ing (?), beat em ups, light guns, fork-lift driving, mech battles, jet piloting - their lineup is just ridiculous. No one in gaming history has that range.
Shame to see what theyve become today - but they still make some bangers.

SSfox

No Street Of Rage 2... really...

TepidSentimentalKawala-size_restricted.gif

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Knowing how unpopular the Mega Drive was in Japan this list doesn't shock me but

Sonic Adventure/Jet Set Radio (these two games are when SEGA completely lost me)

Vangellis

Certainly don't agree on the first spot, but I'm also more nostalgic for very old SEGA. 🤷‍♂️

Fantasy Zone
Phantasy Star
Golden Axe
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Space Harrier
Out Run
Streets of Rage 2

Special mention for the music of Quartet and Zillion, but good games too.

Last edited:
Good to see Hatsune Miku: Project Diva making an appearance. SEGA struck gold with that, been the go to rhythm series for over a decade now.

fatmarco

Nothing from Creative Assembly (Total War, Alien Isolation etc.)? Pretty insane but not unexpected given it's obviously going to have a Japan bias.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Shit, Deep Fear is arguably a top 10 Sega release. that game is impressive as hell and completely playable in 2021. Just super hard to find and play in English though.

Not having SOR2 on the list is pure lunacy.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
As someone playing sega games since the genesis/mega drive...Yakuza 0 and Valkyria Chronicles absolutely belong on the list.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
  1. Skies of Arcadia
  2. Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  3. Virtua Fighter 5 Final Shodown
  4. Nights into Dreams
  5. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  6. Shenmue
  7. Jet Set Radio Future
  8. Crazy Taxi 3
  9. Sonic all Stars Racing Transformed
  10. Out Run 2
  11. Panzer Dragoon Orta

That would probably be my list, not ordered in preference, just the order I thought of them in my head. :)

Neff

No.

10. Out Run 2
9. The Super Shinobi
8. Vanquish
7. Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown
6. Wonder Boy III (Master System)
5. Sonic the Hedgehog (Mega Drive)
4. Shinobi (arcade)
3. Phantasy Star
2. Bayonetta
1. Space Harrier

Last edited:

ManaByte

1. Sonic the Hedgehog
2. Virtua Fighter 2
3. Daytona USA
4. Shenmue
5. Panzer Dragoon Orta
6. After Burner Climax
7. NiGHTS
8. Crazy Taxi
9. Jet Set Radio
10. Phantasy Star II

FUUUCK no! Sonic Adventure is pure trash. it can be enjoyed the way The Room can be enjoyed, as a sarcastic "look how fuckign shit this is lol" way. Its absolute lack of any quality outweighs its cultural impact imo
Hastune Miku? what?... no!

idk, i like SA1 unironically, the game is way better than most people give it credit to, and was well regarded at it's time, hell it's still well regarded in Japan it seems, although i woudn't call it a top 10 best sega games, i still think it's up there. although Sonic 3 & Knuckles deserved the spot more than any other Sonic game.

Last edited:

Brigandier

Shenmue II (DC version) was so much better than the original which i still loved. shame not many people played it.

No Sega Rally 2, Panzer Dragoon games, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Fighter 4 evo, Daytona, Virtua Tennis the list goes on and on.... Fuck IGN Japan.

Alx

Shenmue???

Fucking walking simulator copied by you know who 20yrs later.
Shenmue is the exact opposite of a walking simulator. Or if it is, then all games where the character has his feet touching the ground is a walking simulator.
The very core of Shenmue is that the character is free to select his activity, has to ask around for directions, kill time with games or money earning jobs...

The list is mostly ok for the selection, the order may not be meaningful. Obviously there are many great games that don’t appear there, but not all of them were as influential.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Old school for me as I never got into recent Sega games.

1. Streets of Rage 2
2. Shinobi 3
3. Daytona USA - arcade
4. Virtua Racing - deluxe red cockpit which moved. $1 per play. It was worth it
5. Sega Rally - arcade cab with the rumbling like youre driving on gravel
6. Space Harrier - arcade cab
7. ESPN NFL 2k4
8. Zaxxon - was too young so I didn't know what I was doing, but at the time it was incredible
9. Phantasy Star II
10 Revenge of Shinobi

Honourable mention: I'm sure I'd put it on the list if I ever played it. That deluxe cockpit of Afterburner. I never saw it when I went to arcades.

Last edited:

ranmafan

I forgot about this list and for the most part I think its a fine list. Just one thing, I'm quite surprised they picked Sakura Taisen 4 as the Sakura Taisen entry on the list. The vast majority of those that have played the games, myself included, wouldn't have it that high. Its not the worst but far from the best. Then again it was the swan song for the original story so I could see some picking it for that.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I realise I'm slightly LTTP with this as this was published a few weeks ago now but couldn't see any threads on it and was interested to get NeoGAF's thoughts. IGN Japan's top 10 Sega games of all time:
  1. Shenmue
  2. Yakuza 0
  3. Virtua Fighter 4
  4. Nights into Dreams
  5. Sonic Adventure
  6. Valkyria Chronicles
  7. Jet Set Radio
  8. Sakura Wars 4
  9. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA
  10. Out Run
Notes on the selection:
  • Eligibility: any game ever developed or published by SEGA, regardless of platform.
  • Factors considered included historical impact, innovation and quality.
  • In the case of a game series, only one title from the series could be selected.
  • Titles by Atlus, a subsidiary of SEGA, were excluded.

No.1 is going to be the most controversial I feel since Shenmue is so divisive. I personally think the first two games are both masterpieces but 1 is much more of a flawed masterpiece. 2 is the real pinnacle of the series. It's unfortunate that so few people have played Shenmue 2 and most people think exclusively of the first game or the third game when they think of the franchise. Sonic Adventure ahead of all the Mega Drive Sonics and Sonic Mania is a bit of weird choice for their Sonic game as well. I'm personally not a fan of either of the Sonic Adventure games even though I completed both of them as a kid several times but I think the second one is the better of the two.

A bit dissapointed not to see any Panzer Dragoon games in the list either as there are 3 games in that series- Zwei, Saga and Orta- that can all lay a reasonable claim to being amongst the best games of all time in their respective genres (rail shooters and JRPGs respectively). Then again I suppose it is a fairly niche series so it's not unexpected. The lack of Streets of Rage, Shinobi or Golden Axe will probably come as a bigger surprise to Western readers given how huge those games were over here and how much Sega has been hammering their legacy with all those Genesis compilation re-releases.

Overall, I feel that they seem to have weighted historical impact and innovation more heavily than quality. There's a lot of games here which are the first in their respective series but were superseded by superior sequels (Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, Jet Set Radio, Outrun). My own list is much more geared towards raw quality. Do you have a personal top 10? Here's mine (limiting myself to Sega developed games only):

1) Panzer Dragoon Saga
2) Shenmue II
3) Yakuza 0
4) Jet Set Radio Future
5) Panzer Dragoon Orta
6) Sonic 3 & Knuckles
7) Outrun 2/2006/Coast to Coast
8) Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution
9) Nights into Dreams
10) Streets of Rage 2
Both lists are pretty agreeable with :).

Tschumi

Wow yakuza 0 is that good? I should play more or it.. i just really struggled to want more of its gameplay.. the fucking annoying save system, having to find things that don't seem to be very clearly marked on the map (at first attempt at least) really turned me off.. but if it's so highly regarded...

I can't make a list, they've got such a random presence across development, publishing, across different platforms, i can't track which games are theirs.. all games are at once sega, and not Sega.

I'll just say that i think i sunk about 3000 hours into Football Manager 2011-13

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

If those 2 aren't in everyone's top 10 Sega games of all time lists, you need educating.

They were in every arcade all over the world for years. Maybe decades.

Top Bottom