• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: "Inside the Growing Discontent Behind Nintendo Fun's Facade"

I’d love to see temp worked unionized.
I mean that is the best way to deal with poor working conditions, collective bargaining is important.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Nintendo is a religion confirmed and some of its fans are integrists blind to reality. I am not one of those fans. Fuck Nintendo for what it does to its fans and employers.
I got enough problems with my own job to give half a fuck about what goes on at Nintendo. That's for people who post on the pink forum to be concerned about.

NikuNashi

Been in the Japanese games industry for almost 15 years. I have not worked at Nintendo however I would like to share my experience of Nintendo. For specific reasons in the past my company was seeking to hire Nintendo / ex Nintendo developers due to their specialized experience. It's almost impossible because people who work at Nintendo Japan do not leave, they don't look elsewhere for jobs once they are on the inside.

I had an insight into why by a colleague who had worked in Osaka for Capcom whose colleague had moved onto Nintendo, apparently he shipped a mainline Mario game and from his profit share of the one game bought a house in Kyoto outright.

So from small tidbits of first hand knowledge I can tell you that people who work at Nintendo are happy and very well recompensed for their work.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Temp workers are common in every industry.

A bunch of failures acting like they know anything about running a company.

Actually, there's temp workers that are using the chance to make money while they are between jobs that will pay them real money becuse they want to keep busy.

Then there are temp workers that are human meatbags that can only get employed because the temp agency makes money from them so the temp agency will pitch that the person they are sending is actually really, really good. Thus human meatbag can avoid the trauma, discrimination and required ability of passing a job interview and get a job.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
When IGN publishes an article (any article, but especially one like this), the first question to ask yourself is:
What agenda are they trying to further with this one?

The second question is:
How much are they twisting what actually happened in order to fit that agenda?

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
When IGN publishes an article (any article, but especially one like this), the first question to ask yourself is:
What agenda are they trying to further with this one?

There's been so many recent stories of poor working conditions at other big game companies, let me break one about Nintendo.

Also

"Jenn remembers the battle to allow contractors to march with Nintendo of America in the annual Pride parade.

"Here I am ⁠— transgender, bi, and on top of that, Mexican…I'm sitting there with a straight white woman and a straight white man discussing the Pride parade, and yet I was the only one there who was qualified to be in it," she says."

Read the full article,

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
As have I.

My big break in the industry was the small no name company I worked for being brought by a big name company. I updated my resume to say that I worked for big name company immediately and sent it out. Which after the company I worked for was brought out was actually true.

I then very quickly got a job at a bigger name company based on the fact that my current employee was a big name. Technically I gamed the system, but I now had two big names on my resume and the rest is history. On paper I'm "Big talent" but more "Fake it till you make it".
Yeah no.

I’d love to see temp worked unionized.
I mean that is the best way to deal with poor working conditions, collective bargaining is important.
I’d love see it too, but how do you unionize something that’s not permanent. Just don’t do temp work? And something that’s international?

Last edited:

Deerock71

It's not called a job for nothing, and they don't pay you to do your job for nothing. If you do anything long enough, no matter how much you love it, it's going to feel like a grind at some point. That gal that didn't get a red badge had been working there for over 10 years. Yeah, she was feeling the grind.

"Here I am ⁠— transgender, bi, and on top of that, Mexican…I'm sitting there with a straight white woman and a straight white man discussing the Pride parade, and yet I was the only one there who was qualified to be in it," she says."

That 70S Show Reaction GIF by Laff

And these people really expect to be taken seriously.

Bragr

Banned
I don't understand what this means. Does she think that only people who are in the parade can talk about it? do you have to work in the film industry to discuss movies? do you have to create hot dogs to judge them?

And then she's lowkey implying that straight people working there can't discuss what the company does regarding the pride parade, because they aren't gay, especially since they are white.

She's an idiot with bigot tendencies.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Im not suprised, based on Nintendo consumer practice, its worse than playstation lol

ReBurn

Gold Member
They don't agree to be temporary, they have no other choice if people aren't employing them permanently. The decision is no job or a temp job.
This is a practice done by people in power for the sole purpose of off loading risk onto someone else and generate more money by being flexible, again at the cost of others people security.
That's not true. Contractors usually come through in one of two ways. They either come in as independent contractors on a 1099 or they come in via a consulting company.

If they come in via 1099 that's a choice they made and they are legally responsible for all of the expenses related to their income, including payroll taxes and health insurance. It's literally the definition of 1099 status. That's why independent contractors charge $60 to $100+ per hour for their services in IT-related fields. These are always highly skilled people who know their worth and choose to work this way. They could get full time salary work if they want it. They agree to a term when we sign the contract. They literally agree to be temporary.

If they come in through a consulting company then they are also almost always full-time employees, but they are employed by the consulting company and not by me. They get their benefits and perks from the consulting company, not mine. I use third party contractors for break/fix and QA because there are times when I need extra capacity for a project. Then at the end of the project their employer assigns them to work somewhere else. If they aren't good at the job their employer assigns them somewhere else. They always know this is a possibility. There's never an assumption that these folks are contract to hire and non-compete agreements keep me from hiring them even if I want to.

In the case the video is talking about, the source worked for a consulting company that provided customer support services to Nintendo. It's very common to outsource help desk or support work to other companies. They're typically lower skill entry level jobs with high turnover and it's very disruptive to company operations to manage a revolving door of people trying to climb the career ladder by hopping jobs every 6 months. So while these folks work at Nintendo, they never work for Nintendo.

If a customer service help desk job at a company Nintendo outsources to is all someone can get that's not a forced temporary contract labor situation. It's still a job like any other job. They won't get the same perks as Nintendo employees because they don't work for Nintendo. If you keep that job for 10 years hoping that Nintendo senpai will notice you and hire you into the company to do the job they're outsourcing you're probably just fooling yourself.

I have seen companies exclude consultants from company events. But these folks are not and never were employees of Nintendo. They should be going to the outsourcing company Christmas party, which probably doesn't have one. It can feel hurtful to not get invited to the Nintendo Christmas party or the summer picnic. It sucks. I include contractors when I'm allowed, so team lunches and birthday cakes and stuff like that. But there are some legal restrictions to how companies can interact with non-employees in regard to company functions because it gives the impression that they work for the company, so the law requires that separation. Thats why these relationships are based on contracts and not empathy.

I’d love see it too, but how do you unionize something that’s not permanent. Just don’t do temp work? And something that’s international?

The people that work at a temp agency could do it.
I reckon plenty of people stay with temp agencies for longer times they’d find some use in unionizing.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
That's not true. Contractors usually come through in one of two ways. They either come in as independent contractors on a 1099 or they come in via a consulting company.

If they come in via 1099 that's a choice they made and they are legally responsible for all of the expenses related to their income, including payroll taxes and health insurance. It's literally the definition of 1099 status. That's why independent contractors charge $60 to $100+ per hour for their services in IT-related fields. These are always highly skilled people who know their worth and choose to work this way. They could get full time salary work if they want it. They agree to a term when we sign the contract. They literally agree to be temporary.

If they come in through a consulting company then they are also almost always full-time employees, but they are employed by the consulting company and not by me. They get their benefits and perks from the consulting company, not mine. I use third party contractors for break/fix and QA because there are times when I need extra capacity for a project. Then at the end of the project their employer assigns them to work somewhere else. If they aren't good at the job their employer assigns them somewhere else. They always know this is a possibility. There's never an assumption that these folks are contract to hire and non-compete agreements keep me from hiring them even if I want to.

In the case the video is talking about, the source worked for a consulting company that provided customer support services to Nintendo. It's very common to outsource help desk or support work to other companies. They're typically lower skill entry level jobs with high turnover and it's very disruptive to company operations to manage a revolving door of people trying to climb the career ladder by hopping jobs every 6 months. So while these folks work at Nintendo, they never work for Nintendo.

If a customer service help desk job at a company Nintendo outsources to is all someone can get that's not a forced temporary contract labor situation. It's still a job like any other job. They won't get the same perks as Nintendo employees because they don't work for Nintendo. If you keep that job for 10 years hoping that Nintendo senpai will notice you and hire you into the company to do the job they're outsourcing you're probably just fooling yourself.

I have seen companies exclude consultants from company events. But these folks are not and never were employees of Nintendo. They should be going to the outsourcing company Christmas party, which probably doesn't have one. It can feel hurtful to not get invited to the Nintendo Christmas party or the summer picnic. It sucks. I include contractors when I'm allowed, so team lunches and birthday cakes and stuff like that. But there are some legal restrictions to how companies can interact with non-employees in regard to company functions because it gives the impression that they work for the company, so the law requires that separation. Thats why these relationships are based on contracts and not empathy.
Freelance work =/= temp work.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
This rings hollow when IGN could make this same article about themselves and it would be so much worse

I long for the day someone writes a book or exposes the behind the scenes going on at this shitty company

2/10 too much water

Last edited:

WoJ

No wonder gaming journalism is trash. All they do these days is write these "gacha" articles about places that have these "terrible work conditions". I guess they know their target audience doesn't know what it's like to work at a multi-national billion dollar corporation. I have yet to see something in one of these hit piece articles that is shocking and not something I haven't seen in my own career which is in a completely different industry than gaming.

Last edited:
The things going on inside Nintendo are probably just as crazy as what is happening inside Konami, Square Enix and Sega. I don't know any details but Japanese dev culture seems absolutely wild.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

There are disgruntled employees everywhere. And the younger generation is the hardest one to please. I get disgruntled sometimes to, Like I have been promised management positions, and when managers and leaders leave, I never get asked to step in. But I am still working.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Gotta practice proper possessive placement folks. No such thing as "Nintendo Fun" much less any facade to it.

Like a lot of the discontent-employer stories, it's based on a few employees and not the whole company.

That's not how this works. If someone who has been with the company for a DECADE comes out and says "Yeah this environment isn't great" the first response shouldn't be "Oh my god it's just one person and like they're talking to IGN so we should dismiss it anyway!" More, why is the first instinct to come down on the side of the multinational company here?

This apparently, is the main cause for this video? they said they "spoke" to many others, but how many or who?

Again. Not how this works. People speaking to a reporter on background usually do so because they DON'T want to be identified. "Jenn" speaks on the record because they aren't with the company anymore; those that are, you really expect them to come out and say "I'm X and I work in Y Dept. and this is why NINTENDO sucks."

If I say this "I heard it through the grapevine" approach makes the entire thing pointless. It's hearsay, for all we know they spoke to 3 guys at the same call center and made all these assumptions from that. (the call-center person also said she loved working at Nintendo.)

Literally how journalisming is done.

. . .honestly this all is some weak "Herp Derp Vidya Game Journalism" content. The video, while having an obvious position on the issue, was quite fair in their arguments: they literally referenced numerous people who said they enjoyed working at NINTENDO (proper) and that most people knew a NINTENDO lifer (i.e. there must be SOMETHING keeping people at the company) and that once in people don't leave. They brought in Reggie to offer the corporate side take on things including getting him on the record as pushing back AGAINST the allegations of a divide between contract and permanent employee and finally brought in the former permanent public-facing hosts to offer their mixed take on their experience and departure. All of this to counterbalance the clearly burnt-out Jenn as the voice of those who weren't willing to speak on the record.

This video report isn't going to win a Pulitzer, but in terms of "fair and balanced" it is about as good as one can expect. Handwringing that they aren't going to do what no other journalistic body would do is silly.

Bragr

Banned
Gotta practice proper possessive placement folks. No such thing as "Nintendo Fun" much less any facade to it.

That's not how this works. If someone who has been with the company for a DECADE comes out and says "Yeah this environment isn't great" the first response shouldn't be "Oh my god it's just one person and like they're talking to IGN so we should dismiss it anyway!" More, why is the first instinct to come down on the side of the multinational company here?

Again. Not how this works. People speaking to a reporter on background usually do so because they DON'T want to be identified. "Jenn" speaks on the record because they aren't with the company anymore; those that are, you really expect them to come out and say "I'm X and I work in Y Dept. and this is why NINTENDO sucks."

Literally how journalisming is done.

. . .honestly this all is some weak "Herp Derp Vidya Game Journalism" content. The video, while having an obvious position on the issue, was quite fair in their arguments: they literally referenced numerous people who said they enjoyed working at NINTENDO (proper) and that most people knew a NINTENDO lifer (i.e. there must be SOMETHING keeping people at the company) and that once in people don't leave. They brought in Reggie to offer the corporate side take on things including getting him on the record as pushing back AGAINST the allegations of a divide between contract and permanent employee and finally brought in the former permanent public-facing hosts to offer their mixed take on their experience and departure. All of this to counterbalance the clearly burnt-out Jenn as the voice of those who weren't willing to speak on the record.

This video report isn't going to win a Pulitzer, but in terms of "fair and balanced" it is about as good as one can expect. Handwringing that they aren't going to do what no other journalistic body would do is silly.
How do you know jenn was the voice of anyone else?

And no, normal journalism doesn't base large-scale attacks on a company with so few sources. You need a sizable representation, not single-digits. You need enough numbers to reflect work culture, not personal opinion. If you don't have that, you need evidence.

Or else this is just slander from unprofessional outlets. Which this is.

ManaByte

This is true.

However having Nintendo on your resume is a pretty good plus that you can use to get a job under better conditions in the local area. If the person bothers to look and cares more about career progression than the cred of working for Nintendo.
Most companies, likely Nintendo included, don’t allow the contractors to list themselves as Nintendo employees on a resume. They can list the name of temp agency and say they were contracted at Nintendo but if they claim to have been a Nintendo employee Nintendo will deny they ever were in any employment check.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Or else this is just slander from unprofessional outlets. Which this is.

What was the slanderous statement that was made in the video? And no, a former employee talking about their bad experience at the end of their tenure or what they perceive as a lack of opportunity/appreciation for contract staff is not slanderous.

Ezquimacore

Banned
What was the slanderous statement that was made in the video? And no, a former employee talking about their bad experience at the end of their tenure or what they perceive as a lack of opportunity/appreciation for contract staff is not slanderous.
The clickbait title alone would make people think Nintendo is murdering temp. employees. This is no different than the thousands of companies using temp employees.

Schnozberry

Contract work does suck. You are typically treated like a second class citizen. This applies in basically all employers and industries. You are treated that way because you are seen as an expendable temporary workforce. The primary benefit of doing contract work is padding your resume with specific kinds of skills and experience that will make obtaining a permanent position in the future easier.

Is this a shitty situation to find yourself in sometimes? Yes. Is it uniquely terrible or unique to Nintendo? Not a chance.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Contract work does suck. You are typically treated like a second class citizen. This applies in basically all employers and industries. You are treated that way because you are seen as an expendable temporary workforce. The primary benefit of doing contract work is padding your resume with specific kinds of skills and experience that will make obtaining a permanent position in the future easier.
Nah. Or at least by far not "typically".
I've been a freelancer in IT (software development, to be vague) doing contract work for over a decade now. What that grants me (off the top of my head) is:
- Practically free choice of when I work (as long as the results fit)
- Practically free choice of who I work with (way more requests than I could ever work off)
- No need to stick around shitty jobs as there is more work than there are workers
- I say when I go on holiday, etc. and don't need to ask for permission (although I still discuss it, of course, cause I'm not a dick)
- Working almost entirely from home
- Higher payment than someone doing the same job with a permanent position at the company (since they don't need to pay me any benefits), which I can use (minus taxes, etc.) as I see fit instead of getting some benefits I'll never use anyway
- Much broader skillset aquired over the years than if I had hung around the same position doing the same thing for years

I did actually start out at a permanent position, but quit that after two years cause I saw all the downsides of it (just apply the opposite of the above).

Now, granted, that will only be true if what you are doing is something that has too much or just about enough work available for the "recruitment pool".
But that's a choice everyone has to make when deciding what career path they want to pursue.

Either way, I'd say that most contractors I have seen (so by far not only software dev) work in an area with more work than there are workers.
I can imagine a different situation if it is the other way around, but in that case, things will suck no matter if you are a contractor or not. Being easily replaceable is never a strong position.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
IGN said there are problems with the work culture at Nintendo, but to prove that, you need to be able to make a claim that can be recognized as a pattern across the workplace.

A former employee making comments only shows what that individual feel like, which might be wrong or right. If 5 people feel dissatisfied, and 400 do not, it points towards the 5 people having some unique issue that relates to them rather than a workplace issue.

That's why if make a claim like this, you need more sources, without that, you are creating an image of a bad workplace without good claims. Which is slander.

Hugare

It's a japanese company

People work 20h per day and they also go to work on weekends just because

Japanese work culture is to blame, not specifically Nintendo

I worked at a japanese bank here in Brazil, and lots of japanese employees went to work on weekends (dressed with suits, mind you) because that's how they roll in Japan

It's a japanese company

People work 20h per day and they also go to work on weekends just because

Japanese work culture is to blame, not specifically Nintendo

I worked at a japanese bank here in Brazil, and lots of japanese employees went to work on weekends (dressed with suits, mind you) because that's how they roll in Japan
I work for Honda and it's the same mindset. Our Paint manager's assistant came to America 3 years ago and was shocked that we get Saturdays and Sundays off.

Last edited:

A.Romero

They are talking about outsourcing customer service. Hundreds of people have probably been employed during that 10 year period. There is a reason outsourced employees do not get benefits as internal employees and that is that they are not internal employees.

I have a hard time feeling bad for people that seemingly don't know they can quit and work somewhere else if they don't like it. There is no point in complaining and expecting consumers will pressure the company as long as they keep working them. Once nobody wants to work there then the company will be forced to make changes.

The audacity of complaining about perks when there is people in the world living in abject slavery.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
IGN said there are problems with the work culture at Nintendo, but to prove that -

There is nothing to "prove." This is a subjective statement about the work environment for contract workers at NOA. There is nothing slanderous about interviewing a former employee about their experience, speaking to other employees on background and making an editorial statement couched in what you've learned, as this author has done.

This is Journalisming 101 and is how larger, endemic issues within a company start coming to light. This idea that the journalist needed to interview more than half of contractors working for NOA to come to some sort of authoritative conclusion is laughable. The real issue would be if this video/story ONLY took this single group at their word and didn't offer an opposite take. . .which they did.

The audacity of complaining about perks when there is people in the world living in abject slavery.

The audacity of using the internet when their are people in the world without electricity!

A.Romero

There is nothing to "prove." This is a subjective statement about the work environment for contract workers at NOA. There is nothing slanderous about interviewing a former employee about their experience, speaking to other employees on background and making an editorial statement couched in what you've learned, as this author has done.

This is Journalisming 101 and is how larger, endemic issues within a company start coming to light. This idea that the journalist needed to interview more than half of contractors working for NOA to come to some sort of authoritative conclusion is laughable. The real issue would be if this video/story ONLY took this single group at their word and didn't offer an opposite take. . .which they did.

The audacity of using the internet when their are people in the world without electricity!
Well, the thing is these people can easily work for other company. I don't see how someone can chose to stay for 10 years working on a position that is readily available in many other places.

So, if you want to compare it would be like complaining about getting slow internet when they could walk 50 meters and get a better signal. Not only decide no to walk those 50 meters but to expect to outrage the public so they pressure the Internet company so they can have better signal.

Sorry, it's difficult for me to feel empathy for people complaining about their jobs when they could find another one easily. As long as they stay, the company won't change. Why do consumers have to do anything about it? It's just a fake concern expectation anyway because the fact that we are using electronic devices most likely is proof that we don't give a shit about working conditions. Sad? Yes. True? Also yes.

Bragr

Banned

It's not slander to speak to a few people and make a company-wide characterization? if I go and interview one person at McDonald's, do you think that's enough to claim McDonald's has problems?

Even the title, how do they know it's a growing discontent? there is nothing that shows this in what they are talking about.

This is clickbait journalism 101, aka, game journalism.

You are overexaggerating to try and justify your claims, "interview more than half of the contractors", I didn't say that, I said you need enough sources to get a pattern.

nush

Gold Member
Well, the thing is these people can easily work for other company. I don't see how someone can chose to stay for 10 years working on a position that is readily available in many other places.

So, if you want to compare it would be like complaining about getting slow internet when they could walk 50 meters and get a better signal. Not only decide no to walk those 50 meters but to expect to outrage the public so they pressure the Internet company so they can have better signal.

Sorry, it's difficult for me to feel empathy for people complaining about their jobs when they could find another one easily. As long as they stay, the company won't change. Why do consumers have to do anything about it? It's just a fake concern expectation anyway because the fact that we are using electronic devices most likely is proof that we don't give a shit about working conditions. Sad? Yes. True? Also yes.

Exactly, it's not like Nintendo is the only tech customer support call center in Redmond. You don't get promoted to product development, Sales and Marketing positions with a red badge when your only skill is customer service. This is another "Entitled to a promotion, because I'm special" story.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
You clicked on it, right OP? Moreover, you posted it on GAF. Therefore, they generated a bunch of revenue from the story, and you’re the sucker.

Schnozberry

Nah. Or at least by far not "typically".
I've been a freelancer in IT (software development, to be vague) doing contract work for over a decade now. What that grants me (off the top of my head) is:
- Practically free choice of when I work (as long as the results fit)
- Practically free choice of who I work with (way more requests than I could ever work off)
- No need to stick around shitty jobs as there is more work than there are workers
- I say when I go on holiday, etc. and don't need to ask for permission (although I still discuss it, of course, cause I'm not a dick)
- Working almost entirely from home
- Higher payment than someone doing the same job with a permanent position at the company (since they don't need to pay me any benefits), which I can use (minus taxes, etc.) as I see fit instead of getting some benefits I'll never use anyway
- Much broader skillset aquired over the years than if I had hung around the same position doing the same thing for years

I did actually start out at a permanent position, but quit that after two years cause I saw all the downsides of it (just apply the opposite of the above).

Now, granted, that will only be true if what you are doing is something that has too much or just about enough work available for the "recruitment pool".
But that's a choice everyone has to make when deciding what career path they want to pursue.

Either way, I'd say that most contractors I have seen (so by far not only software dev) work in an area with more work than there are workers.
I can imagine a different situation if it is the other way around, but in that case, things will suck no matter if you are a contractor or not. Being easily replaceable is never a strong position.

Yeah, in lower skill positions, contractors are treated poorly it seems almost universally.

People seek permanent positions in those areas because it typically comes with better salary, benefits, PTO and job security.

High skill positions that aren't based on a daily grind, but rather results milestones, probably have the kind of freedom and autonomy that you describe. I'm glad it has worked out for you.

Skelterz

Why don’t they ask Jose otero what it was like seemed good enough for him to leave IGN to go work there I’m sure it wouldent be too hard getting hold of him.

kiphalfton

Well the whole contractors being treated like second class citizens is pretty standard practice for the industry. Most QA/support roles are filled by contractors working for a temp agency and are not recognized as actual employees and are pretty much treated like expendable dirt and looked down upon by the full time employees.

The company I work as a consultant for has way better perks for their employees (i.e. free lunch, free beverages, employee discount, access to free onsite gym, etc.).

Meanwhile this idiot “at” Nintendo is complaining about not getting a free red Nintendo badge. Jesus. It probably is a retarded contractor who thinks they actually work at Nintendo.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Dat damn fun facade, how dare they sell us fun when people go there and actually work and stuff for hours instead of get high on shrooms and have games (and all their other products and services) magically appear? They should only make job simulator games if that's how it is *shakes fist*!

Last edited:
Top Bottom