• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Exclusive First Look at the Orcs From Prime Video's The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

BaneIsPain

Again, if their acting is great and the story is interesting is that going to matter?

Acting-wise, I'll give it to you. Maybe they pulled it off but in terms of story.
I've doubt about this, especially since it is little source material to make it compelling so they have to come up with something great to convince me.
That's why the aesthetic in this rich lore fantasy is very important to me to make up for the story a bit.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Again, if their acting is great and the story is interesting is that going to matter?

Depends on if it respects Tolkien's original vision, and it's pretty clear from what we know that it won't do that.

However, I'm well aware that I'm in a minority. Vast majority of people won't give a shit if it respects Tolkien's original vision or not, and probably have never read any of Tolkien's work.

Who gives a shit what the Orc look like? The shows stands or falls with its writing and how faithful it is to the source material.
In that regard, the show has already failed.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Why is it "most likely" shitty?
Why would it be any good? The show runners, J.D. Payne and Patrick Mckay have virtually no credited experience. Seems like they did some writing on star trek beyond, some not released flash Gordon project, and now this. J.A. Bayona has directed some okayish stuff but JW:Fallen Kingdom didn't blow my socks off. Shippey leaving suggests rigorous adherence to Tolkien might not be a priority.

So this show has all the hallmarks of looking good due to the insane budget but feeling mediocre at best. What about the folks working on it gives you such confidence?

I was out the moment they showed a pic of Galadriel in full plate. At the time period of this show elf lords like Galadriel were practically superheros, and Galadriel was the most powerful elf to ever exist. She didn't need plate mail, because she was more powerful than quite a few Maiar. For God's sake she's much more powerful in the 2nd age than she was in LOTR, and there weren't many entities on Middle Earth at that time who could best her.

I know all this while only being a mild fan of Tolkein's works. Expect the people who actually know what the fuck they're talking about to be livid.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

You guys have no idea how pretty of a landmine this is. I am not gonna deliver my final judgement on this but it look like a trap where you will fall to the rock bottom and then even the bottom will break. I have no supreme love for Lord of the Rings. I like it a lot sure but this is gonna hurt those who cherish it. I would sure love to be wrong

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Lord of the rings of 8 years ago didn’t have you know basically tv streaming something everybody has today.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Shippey leaving suggests rigorous adherence to Tolkien might not be a priority.
The harsh truth the Internet doesn't want to hear is that the Tolkien Estate hates Tolkien "scholars". People who write books about Tolkien and think they know more about him and LOTR than the Estate does. This show is 100% driven by the Tolkien Estate, who had nothing to do with Jackson's movies. It's obvious that there was a clash with an outside "expert" and the Tolkien Estate and the Estate naturally won.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The harsh truth the Internet doesn't want to hear is that the Tolkien Estate hates Tolkien "scholars". People who write books about Tolkien and think they know more about him and LOTR than the Estate does. This show is 100% driven by the Tolkien Estate, who had nothing to do with Jackson's movies. It's obvious that there was a clash with an outside "expert" and the Tolkien Estate and the Estate naturally won.
You got a receipt for that? I can see Chris Tolkein clashing with scholars since Chris is basically the OG scholar himself but who else in the estate even gives a fuck? Didn't all this stuff happen immediately upon Christopher's death? I suspect the end result would NOT meet Christopher's approval.

Regardless, the show will be what it will be. Amazon is balls deep in this show to the tune of 5 seasons and billions of dollars to we are gonna get a whole ton of it no matter what.

ManaByte

Gold Member
You got a receipt for that? I can see Chris Tolkein clashing with scholars since Chris is basically the OG scholar himself but who else in the estate even gives a fuck? Didn't all this stuff happen immediately upon Christopher's death? I suspect the end result would NOT meet Christopher's approval.

Regardless, the show will be what it will be. Amazon is balls deep in this show to the tune of 5 seasons and billions of dollars to we are gonna get a whole ton of it no matter what.

The Estate maintains the film and TV rights for anything connected to the Silmarillion, that includes anything made from the 1st and 2nd ages. That's why when Jackson was doing The Hobbit movies they filmed as much as they could from the LOTR appendices they could because that's all WB/NL had the rights to; they couldn't touch the Silmarillion. That's also why this series is set in the 2nd age because the Estate could control it completely.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The Estate maintains the film and TV rights for anything connected to the Silmarillion, that includes anything made from the 1st and 2nd ages. That's why when Jackson was doing The Hobbit movies they filmed as much as they could from the LOTR appendices they could because that's all WB/NL had the rights to; they couldn't touch the Silmarillion. That's also why this series is set in the 2nd age because the Estate could control it completely.
Sure, they hold the rights, I'm talking about disagreements with scholars. What interpretations do they not approve of?

jason10mm

Gold Member
They don't approve of egos of people who think they know more about Tolkien than they do.
I still don't follow. Do you mean the current crop of JRRT's grandkids disagree on points of philosophy, the historical order of events, the entymology of names, or the specific translations of elvish with Tolkien scholars of note, or they just don't care what internet edgelords think about what race or gender characters should be so long as they (the grandkids) can sell the IP to anyone for $$$ so they can put a new roof on the palacial estate? I feel like you are infering the latter but I'd like to see an example if it is the former.

Clearly for a B-B-Billion dollar investment Amazon wants to make sure this thing has immediate appeal to as much of the planet as possible. So I don't blame them for wanting as global a cast as possible, it wouldn't even surprise me to hear they have regionally famous actors in scenes just for those regions. I suspect this show isn't really just a show, it is a springboard for a wave of merchandising and media tie-ins the likes of which we have rarely experienced. The first LOTR movies were nuts for this and I STILL see merch for it in the Noble Collection and beyond. I'm very curious if we will see a fast food tie-in or more traditional theatrical film style ad stuff for this as well as every box I get from the big A being plastered with ads for it.

Fbh

These are definitely looking great.
If nothing else the production values on this will be off the charts.

I honestly do see many people turning tail and looking like absolute idiots when this show comes out. So much unneeded negativity.
This alone proves how much love there is for LOTR's behind the scenes.

It's a billion dollar show, the very least it can do is look stellar. Doesn't mean it will be good.
Look at game of thrones, the higher the production values got the worse the actual show became.

Though for the record I think this will be a financial success. It's a known IP with movies that came out long ago enough to generate nostalgia + great VFX + a lot of marketing Throw in some unnecessary cameos and they'd have to screw up really badly for this to flop.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Lies! We now have female warrior orcs.

Wait, how do they know this is a female? Does she kiss another lumpy orc and the internet breaks? :p

I kinda want female orcs to display some massive sexual dimorphism and be these huge lumbering creatures always debating between orcs and trolls as partners :p

I honestly do see many people turning tail and looking like absolute idiots when this show comes out. So much unneeded negativity.
Hold steady before calling it. Every TV/movie project is a two way deal between the art team and writers, and only one side has been truly delivering as of late.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Acting-wise, I'll give it to you. Maybe they pulled it off but in terms of story.
I've doubt about this, especially since it is little source material to make it compelling so they have to come up with something great to convince me.
That's why the aesthetic in this rich lore fantasy is very important to me to make up for the story a bit.
What other fantasy shows are you watching? What’s the standard?

Batiman

Banned
Unneeded negativity at anything that gets announced around here it seems. The consensus is everything is trash. I can’t remember the last time this place was positive towards any announcement. Even gaming side makes off topic look miserable.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Unneeded negativity at anything that gets announced around here it seems. The consensus is everything is trash. I can’t remember the last time this place was positive towards any announcement. Even gaming side makes off topic look miserable.
Folks seem generally positive towards Stranger Things S4. And the chip and dale movie (surprisingly). Surprise, most stuff is crap, the benefit of the doubt has gone long ago. Some shows start off good, end in shit. Most shows start off as shit and stay that way. Some shows stay good, or become great. What's wrong with wanting the standard to be quality like GoT seasons 1-5, Spartacus, Breaking Bad, etc? It doesn't seem hard to make a GOOD star wars show, hell they are doing it right now with Mando, yet Fett and Obi wan exist. LOTR, and the Jackson adaptations, are a holy grail to lots of folks and it shouldn't be surprising that given what we've seen so far and the people involved that expectations ought to be kept in check.

BaneIsPain

Haha tar-miriel. Kinda expected they will do this.

hBXSoex.jpg

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

To be fair, this type of negative hive mind has contaminated most internet communities. If you go to places like Reddit movies and tv shows subs, or twitter, or whatever, there is almost no place for positivity either, specially if it's from an long existing IP. Even IMDB user ratings have become an echo chamber.

I can't tell if this show is going to be good, but I sure hope so!

Batiman

Banned
To be fair, this type of negative hive mind has contaminated most internet communities. If you go to places like Reddit movies and tv shows subs, or twitter, or whatever, there is almost no place for positivity either, specially if it's from an long existing IP. Even IMDB user ratings have become an echo chamber.

I can't tell if this show is going to be good, but I sure hope so!
I guess your right. What happened to optimism?

Unneeded negativity? Are these orc pictures the only thing you saw from this series? Also, has history taught you nothing? Look at Wheels of Time as a recent example.

Batiman

Banned
Unneeded negativity? Are these orc pictures the only thing you saw from this series? Also, has history taught you nothing? Look at Wheels of Time as a recent example.
I thought the trailer looked decent. There was a huge backlash with the fellowship of the ring trailer at the time too. Sounds like you already made up your mind about the show

Last edited:

Ironbunny

What’s the term to use when people blame everything on wokeism? I see that a lot nowadays

No idea. But with this show the makers are part of the wokeism cancer. The interviews have given a painted picture what they are doing. Question is how much of it they will be forced to reign in. The effects will most likely be good since Weta is involved. Other then that time will tell how this goes. The Orcs do look good.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
No idea. But with this show the makers are part of the wokeism cancer. The interviews have given a painted picture what they are doing. Question is how much of it they will be forced to reign in. The effects will most likely be good since Weta is involved. Other then that time will tell how this goes. The Orcs do look good.
I’m going to give it a good chance. It could be great if they do it right.

Top Bottom