• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Bethesda Sued for $100 Million After Alleged 'Intentional Sabotage' of Rune 2 to Protect The Elder Scrolls

Court of public opinion: After reading the article, is Bethesda/Zenimax a guilty party in your view?

• Total voters

ZehDon

Sabotaging Rune II in order to save "The Elder Scrolls" reads like delusions of grandeur; a quick Google of this game shows me it was never in contention. Unlike Titanfall 2, which was publically and deliberately setup to fail by its publisher, I can't really see much in the way of deliberate action indicating Bethesda wanted this game to fail. It's not like it was launching two weeks before or after Skyrim; the two games are years removed. Bethesda's actions with Human Head Studio are a different topic. As always, I'll wait for the courts to decide who's guilty of what.

Last edited:
Sabotaging Rune II in order to save "The Elder Scrolls" reads like delusions of grandeur; a quick Google of this game shows me it was never in contention. Unlike Titanfall 2, which was publically and deliberately setup to fail by its publisher, I can't really see much in the way of deliberate action indicating Bethesda wanted this game to fail. It's not like it was launching two weeks before or after Skyrim; the two games are years removed. Bethesda's actions with Human Head Studio are a different topic. As always, I'll wait for the courts to decide who's guilty of what.
Agreed.

On surface it looks and sounds weird this allegation. Makes little sense to me but we have to wait to see what courts decide.
Interested to see the outcome of this.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I’m guessing the lawyer saw the opportunity to get a quick settlement now that MS owns them. I doubt there is much here legally, though I do feel Zenimax suits were somewhat shady.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

The info about the source code seems odd. First, how did they lose possession the source code? Second, what a bizarre story that they retrieved the source code from computers that were sold as used and recovered from the hard drives? Obviously something I'm missing here.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

CAB_Life

Rune 2 looked like hot shit, so I don’t buy it, as the allegations are intimating HH Studios believed it would somehow be a threat to Elder Scrolls.

ethomaz

Banned
How is that even related with MS? I really can’t understand some comments.

If the story is true the that Human something developers needs to be punished by the law.

Ar¢tos

Closing down the day after the release and re-opening on the same day under new ownership and with a new name is kinda dodgy...

I don't understand why the Xbox die-hard fanclub is clutching their pearls over this.
Zenimax is included because they are the new owners of the studio, it has nothing to do with MS.

Klayzer

Closing down the day after the release and re-opening on the same day under new ownership and with a new name is kinda dodgy...

I don't understand why the Xbox die-hard fanclub is clutching their pearls over this.
Zenimax is included because they are the new owners of the studio, it has nothing to do with MS.
I agree, but to be fair its more likely to be settled now that Microsoft is the new parent company. So in this case, it was strategic for the plaintiff to reopen/shed new light on the case.

MastaKiiLA

Sounds like Human Head acted like dicks, and cut Ragnarok's legs out from under them. For all I know, they did that because Ragnarok was a terrible publisher. That's the job for the courts to decide.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
100 million doesn't seem realistic, but I agree that there's something fishy when you deliberately sabotage your own launch, immediately go bankrupt and start something new on the same day under the umbrella of a huge company.

Laptop1991

I've just seen a video about this, the dots do add up, and considering the decision's Zenimax/Bethesda have made since Dragonborn released with all the monetization attempt's right, left and centre, then, Yeah, guilty as charged in my opnion.

It was filed in December 2019
According to the rumors the acquisition has been negotiated for two years or something, so it could happen during the negotiation.

Regardless of Bethesdas more recent output, the article suggests that Ragnarok thinks Rune 2 was so good it was a threat to Skyrim??? Is it really that good? I’ve never played any Rune games so I’m honestly asking, that bit screams hyperbole and doesn’t do them any favours despite it looking like Bethesda is at fault.
Well, the fact that you don't know Rune 2 is enough to say whether it is good or bad in comparison to Skyrim

Last edited:
How on earth are some people seeing this as an "anti Xbox" thread?

What's wrong with you guys, would you like some latte with your soy?
Console wars intensify! One felt threatened by the spectators around the race track, here the lawsuit considered a threat to Xbox etc :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
100 million doesn't seem realistic, but I agree that there's something fishy when you deliberately sabotage your own launch, immediately go bankrupt and start something new on the same day under the umbrella of a huge company.
There is also simpler option. Rune 2 was to expensive, they run out of money and went bankrupt like many other companies, but luckily they found other company which basically taken everyone from old studio and created new one in its place. Not first time that happened.
When RealityPump (Eart 21xx series and Two Worlds) was closed BloberTeam has taken literally everyone who wanted to work for them.

Daymos

I can't join this jury as I still want Bethesda to burn for selling me a non-functioning skyrim on ps3.

Theres plenty of other developers out there that can make open world RPGs that actually function on day 1.

PSX

The best part is the Yes voters list. It's a who's who of SonyGAF, to a man.

These threads are so incredibly transparent.

I voted yes after I read this :)

tenor.gif

Top Bottom