• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Best Game of All-Time : The Grand Final! (God of War 2018 wins)

anothertech

Drunk Merry Christmas GIF by LookHUMAN
drunk fail GIF
Fight me

Brigandier

I hate so many modern gamers.... Imagine thinking ROTTR is better than Half Life 2... Or not being born/old enough to have experienced such a gem when it released so automatically discarding it.

I'm surprised COD or FIFA never won

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
now you think about it, God of war being 2018 on PS4/PS5 only, won GOTY is a big deal.

Last edited:

Nico_D

Having played the game, I honesly don't know what's so special about it. It doesn't have anything other games haven't done before and sometimes better.

I absolutely loved the game but I don't really understand the value of this, fair enough that Studio Santa Monica are thankful for this even though they'll be fully aware that the whole thing is a bit daft.
The only really positive thing of this for me is that I know for certain that Geoff Keighly is probably going absolutely ape shit about this and sacking people left right and centre because somewhere in the world an award has been issued and they forgot to involve The Emperor of All Gaming, so that's a big plus for me!!

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
I hope that god of war 2018's inflated hype (it's a good game, but come on) doesn't make Santa Monica get cocky for Ragnarok. Really doubt this next game will get a pass for a lot of the stuff 2018 got a pass for.

Alan Wake

I can sort of understand why GTA V is a contender, even if I don't like that game. But God of War? A good game but not even close GOAT.

Yoboman

I hope that god of war 2018's inflated hype (it's a good game, but come on) doesn't make Santa Monica get cocky for Ragnarok. Really doubt this next game will get a pass for a lot of the stuff 2018 got a pass for.
Will you cry again if you find a bush that doesn't move?

We are talking about a game, legit worse than the first Knack. Go on gaf, tell me that you think knack isn't more of a game than walking with dad simulator.

I mean you can like gow more but as a game doing game stuff? Knack. The first knack, which is just OK. Not knack 2 which is actually pretty good.

You hardcore Sony fans worship games worse than Knack. Gaming has split into fans that like an "experience" and those that actually like games for being games.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Congratulations to Sony and SSM! A well-deserved award for one of the best games ever!

Now people can say all they want that God of War isn't the best game or whatever, it won't change the fact that it did win (by user votes). Facts > Opinions.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The funniest thing about all the comments crying salt in here, is that most of the people who actually put GOW2018 as their actual GOAT will have replaced it with something else in a couple years’ time. This is how fickle (and, probably, young) the people who brought on these results are, and this is how ephemeral such a poll is in 2021.

Incidentally, this is also why taking this too seriously is ridiculous. It’s like making a poll for best food in the world and letting kids vote.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Gow's weak points are manageable.

But I really hope in Ragnarok the upgrade menus are cleaned up, the world is easier to navigate and I would like kratos to move not so woodenly, he is caperble of fast attacks, but his rolls and dodges feel like hes a fat powerlifter and not a deadly Spartan.

DustQueen

Banned
что?

No. No. No. Just fucking no.
Not in the world where MGS3, Prey, HL2, Uncharted 2, New Hitman Trilogy, Witcher 3, Nier Automata n BOTW exist.

Last edited:
As much as I adore GOW 2018 it isn't the GOAT.

This says more about the average age of IGN's consumer base than anything else.

They're all probably 15 and under.

yamaci17

my problems with the bracket

rise of tomb raider winning against half life 2? like, how?
god of war has nothing on legendary genre defining games such as gta san andreas, half life 2 and such. i dont care about demographics or anything, it is about deciding the best game of all times, not the best game of recent times. gow directly beating san andreas in this bracket is just funny lmao

i wouldn't even put gow above portal 2. call me a valve fanboy if you want. i wouldn't. i played almost every game on that list. portal 2 was something unique, different, brought out a new perspective. it was... just different. gow felt like any other run off the mile TPS action adventure narrative+cutscene driven press x to continue type of classic "sony exclusive movie" game. it is hilarious that it gets to be selected ahaha

no rdr 2 is also a funny joke. but i bet gow would overthrown it, just like it did in 2018 game awards.

i mean, it doesn't have anything on skyrim, for that matter. its just funny. im glad there were %36 sensible people who voted for skyrim.

and batman akham city is a miles better game than gta 5 can ever hope to be. i dont care if it has more popularity or sold more, batman arkham asylum/city are wonderful games that are way more creative/fun than gta 5

i enjoyed gow, i truly did. but with this attraction and attention it gets, it is on its way to becoming one of the most overrated games by media ever for me. i cant even put that game above god of war 2 and god of war 3, which is ridiculuous for me. it just isn't that good enough. it simply isn't. but people make it seem to be. and media+public hivemind is so stronk to admit otherwise

this post is all personal, pls take it with a grain of salt

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

Lol how can IGN declare GOW the goat 🤔 so many more better games out there than that.

Before anyone jumps on me yes I played it for 5/6 hours no I didn’t think it was amazing the kid pissed me off and the combat just became a button smasher after a while.

GOW over GTA5? Really!?
Like I know gtaV has it’s issues but the sheer amount of play time V can have is far greater than GOW. Sorry it’s imo.

Umbasaborne

Banned
We're all old and out of touch now. The new generations couldn't care less about the games we enjoyed during our younger days. They look at those games and probably feel bad for us, that we were stuck with those games but we look at them with fond memories of nostalgia.
Yeah, thats pretty spot on. Im certainly not gonna fault kids for enjoying whats modern. When i was a kid playing snes and ps1, i wasn’t sitting there saying that i wish the games were as good As the original pitfall or empire strikes back on atari.

Jadsey

With my Sony fan hat on - It's nice to see official confirmation that God of War is the best game ever...let the salt flow

With my real hat on - get the fuck out of here! Not even in my Top 10 Sony games....Bayonetta 2 is the correct answer and that wasn't even on the list...fucking idiots.

Top Bottom