• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - Arkane Studios: The Story So Far

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Arkane Studios is developing two of the most fascinating upcoming video games: the time-looping assassin sim, Deathloop, and the co-op vampire slaying adventure, Redfall.

Though each has the potential to be a unique experience, they both fit comfortably in the 20-year history of development studio Arkane, which has evolved and refined a deep, multi-layered approach to game design throughout its history which includes both Dishonored and Prey.

skit_data

They are a great studio and I really hope they get to stretch their legs now that have the backing of Xbox.

Never got in to any of their games though, I have both Prey and Dishonored 1&2, but something about the artstyle in Dishonored puts me off. I need to give Prey another chance, I think I went into it expecting a run off the mill shooter when its more of an immersive sim.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Still salty that they want with a "cool kids" presentation for Redfall, but I trust that it will be a solid game.
They never disappoint.

Wait, Redfall is a seperate game from Deathloop?

Who tf is their current art director and why tf is he recycling the same similar art style in both games?

I can hardly tell the difference between the two.

I can most definitely make a distinction between Prey and Dishonoured and both stand on their own visually.

So why are these two new games so god awful similar to one another?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Deathloop is the latest game from Arkane Studios, a developer with a twenty year history of making deep, immersive worlds filled with interlocking gameplay systems. Most famous for its Dishonored series, each of Arkane's games are notably different, but they all are built on a set of common principles that the developer has honed and improved over the years.

But what exactly are those principles? And how do they fit together? Simply put, what exactly is an Arkane game? It's a question that only someone who helped build these games can truly answer. That's why we spoke to Dinga Bakaba, creative director at Arkane's Lyon studio, to discover the intricacies of making an immersive sim, and how things have changed from Dishonored to Deathloop.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Deathloop, the latest game from Dishonored and Prey developer Arkane Studios, is another masterpiece from a studio known for constantly innovating and refining its approach to the immersive sim genre. And while the Deathloop developers have enjoyed consistent critical acclaim, not every game to precede Deathloop has seen similar commercial success. This is a history of Arkane's journey, its trial and error approach to building on and improving ideas within the immersive sim genre, and how it all culminated in masterpieces like Dishonored 2 and, of course, Deathloop.

Learn about the studio's teams and their commitment to trying again and again to find success both critically and commercially, across decades of development innovation and experimentation. Much like Deathloop, in which death loops back around to begin the journey again, Arkane never let a commercial miss stop them from striking out on their own with new ideas that have come to define the studio's legacy.

Top Bottom