• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you're a Mark Wahlberg fan or a UFC fan, come on in

Status
Not open for further replies.

NLB2

Banned
http://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix.htm
December 27, 2004 -- MARK Wahlberg is in talks to star in a movie about the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Producer Trent Othick says the actor is in negotiations to beef up and tackle a role in the film about the league, in which combatants engage in bloody, bare-knuckle brawls in an octagon-shaped ring. UFC owners Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta are executive producers, and John Herzfeld will write and direct. The Feritta brothers recently completed 13 episodes of "The Ultimate Fighter," a reality series for Spike TV.

Wow. A movie about the UFC starring Mark Wahlberg is not something I was expecting to see any time soon.

NLB2

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
what if im not neccesarily a Mark Wahlburg fan, but am a HUGE Marky Mark fan?
Well you already came in and there's no way for me to kick you out, so I guess you can stay as long as you like.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
the funny thing is I think Mark Wahlberg is a really good actor and I like most of his movies.. but everytime I see him on screen I picture Marky Mark.

Boogie

I worry about a UFC movie being horribly cheesy and lame, but getting Mark Wahlberg gives me hope that they are putting effort into making it a quality film.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Wahlburg via flying armbar!

Edit: At any rate, I mostly watch Pride events. UFC isn't really to my taste.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Eh, it could turn out alright but I can't help but think that their money would be much better spent on fighters especially heavyweight ones. Then again, this could be a long term investment if it serves to create new fans.

I remember hearing about this awhile back where he was Whalberg was supposed to do a movie loosely based on Mark Kerr, but without the drugs. On a side note, I miss mark Kerr. Old dominat, roided up Mark Kerr. I don't give a shit about evolution and roids (well I do, but I got to give Mark his due), he was brutality when he was in Brazil.

Anyhow, could be an interesting movie. I loved him in Boogie Nights.

Minotauro

Biff Hardbody said:
On a side note, I miss mark Kerr. Old dominat, roided up Mark Kerr.

I couldn't agree more. Just recently, I saw his final match with Yamamoto. Was that fight depressing or what? I felt so embarassed for Mark. Supposedly, he's now a father and has started his own business. I hope for nothing but the best for him.

NLB2

Banned
DarthWufei said:
So is he going to be shirtless most of the time? I like this. Though I'll admit he looked much better in his rapper days.
More than likely he'll be wearing a gi ;-).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
heh, a gi? Think they'll base his character off Royce, then? If that were the case, though, they could just digitally replace royce's face with mark's and show the Saku match. Buying the rights from pride would be a lot cheaper than teaching marky BJJ, though I suppose having the protagonist get totally owned isn't what they're going for. ;b

Minotauro said:
I couldn't agree more. Just recently, I saw his final match with Yamamoto. Was that fight depressing or what? I felt so embarassed for Mark. Supposedly, he's now a father and has started his own business. I hope for nothing but the best for him.

Totally depressing to see Kerr lose like that. He looked like a different person when he was off steroids, and it really sucked seeing him lose after he tried so hard by kicking them.

Kerr was scary. Allot of people label him as boring, and some of his fights were pretty boring (Vovchanchyn/Kerr II comes to mind). But, his performances in Brazil made me a fan of his for life. He was so fucking nasty. Headbutts, knees and elbows, the man was a terror. After that you saw guys like Duarte just look mortified at the prospect of fighting Kerr. He may have been the scariest guy to fight in MMA so far, at least when he still had the aura of invinciblity. That's what made the first Igor/Kerr fight so big.

I have a hard time classifying Kerr as one of the best in MMA, because he didn't have that quality of coming back that I think a true great needs. You could see that Kerr was more at home beating people up then getting hit himself. Not saying he was a bully, I think allot of the man, I like him a great deal. But, he seemed to get by on his amazing physical domiance, and just wans't comfortable getting hit. I don't think he enjoyed fighting. So, I'm glad he got out of it. He gave some truly awesome performances, and is definitely one of my all time faves. Brutal.

NLB2

Banned
EviLore said:
heh, a gi? Think they'll base his character off Royce, then? If that were the case, though, they could just digitally replace royce's face with mark's and show the Saku match. Buying the rights from pride would be a lot cheaper than teaching marky BJJ, though I suppose having the protagonist get totally owned isn't what they're going for. ;b
:lol. I am curious to see how Marky Mark fights. I hope its not shot the way martial arts movies are shot when they have people who don't know kung fu in a fight scene, that is with a cut every ten frames.

Too bad UFC doesn't allow gis anymore. I would love to see Mark play a character based off of Royce. But it doesn't make sense for UFC to produce a movie saying "Hey look, this man was the best fighter we've ever had. He's a legend and a revolutionary figure in the sport. He comes from the biggest martial arts family in the world. Oh yeah, he doesn't fight in UFC anymore and niether does his family."

Minotauro

Biff Hardbody said:
I don't think he enjoyed fighting.

100% agreed. To me, it always seemed like Kerr was willing to go as far as he did simply to get the fight over with. He never seemed to be enjoying himself before, after, or during the fight. I think he really only got into MMA because he didn't have any other options after he finished wrestling. If you could somehow transplant Silva's brain into Kerr's skull, he would be absolutely unstoppable. I still think his shot is probably the best I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom