• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If your not playing your XSX/PS5 on a proper HDR set you are not doing the games justice

Ashtyr

Neo Member
The reason for that is they keep trying to make their flagship 4K and 8K sets so thin and have better viewing angles to compete with OLED, but it means the native contrast ratio is trash. Forget about the "with local dimming" value because thats meaningless with Samsung because they cheat the test patterns.

So you end up with more blooming/clouding because of the panel, no matter how many zones they have. The Q90A native contrast is trash compared to even a Sony XF90 from 2018/2019 which was a mid to high end set. The QN900A native ratio is embarrassing considering how much it costs, worse than the infamous Sony ZF9 and still not as bright:

I love HDR on my ZD9, still blows me... away:

Funny Face GIF

There is a general consensus that the Rtings review is wrong for many reasons but of course his measurement of the contrast with local dimming is one of them, even in Teoh's video review you twelve that with local diming the black level is practically zero.

Even so, it is enough to watch live TV, or if you prefer other measurements of other people to realize that it is wrong.

Maybe because Rtings use Calman that does not support this TV and can give you wrong readings, I don't know for sure

But there are many measurements since they do not match the Rtings measurements.

And above all reviews.

One of them

7D1veVm.jpg

Kuranghi

There is a general consensus that the Rtings review is wrong for many reasons but of course his measurement of the contrast with local dimming is one of them, even in Teoh's video review you twelve that with local diming the black level is practically zero.

Even so, it is enough to watch live TV, or if you prefer other measurements of other people to realize that it is wrong.

Maybe because Rtings use Calman that does not support this TV and can give you wrong readings, I don't know for sure

But there are many measurements since they do not match the Rtings measurements.

And above all reviews.

One of them

7D1veVm.jpg

Thanks, I've seen the rtings "contrast with local dimming" values to be kinda nonsense in the past due to how the different brands do things but I thought the native ratio was more likely to be an absolute thing. Cheers for the information.

Do you know which is the most accurate preset of those? Ie which one would you calibrate for best results.

RCU005

What's a proper 4K set though?
IMO:
OLED TV or LED with backlit panel (no edge lit)
HDR with 1000+ nits

I think LG has the best OLED TVs and the best Sony OLED TVs have LG panels, too.
Sony has great backlit LED panels, and I think their top tier LEDs has a lot of LED zones (more than before).

I don't believe in Samsung Quantum LED and that stuff, because they tend to invent PR wording to make it look better than it is, so that's why I stay between Sony and LG. I think Samsung has good Mini-LED TVs, but I still don't believe them if they're actually good or just their PR BS.

While you don't have to go top tier to get a good TV for gaming purposes, it's pretty much a must because obviously the one with more features is more expensive, especially if you want quality.

Well if there’s one good thing to come out of a global pandemic, I’ve not had a decent holiday for two years and so could afford a LG Oled. Sublime.

Forth

Neophyte
As much as I've tried to like HDR gaming on my LG CX, last night I turned it off. Personally I just don't like the bloom that it caused.
I can understand why people like it but it's just to much for me.
I turned HDR off on my PS5 and it's giving my eyes a rest.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This is true. However, my son has a PS5 for Christmas and only has a HD TV in his room. The PS5 itself is a kingly gift and he only has it because he's been smashing it in school and on the football pitch. However, I'm not going to spend a few more hundred quid just so the games look better for him.

base

Banned
I have HDR turned completely off on my XSX, I just cannot stand the eye-melting whites when it comes to subtitles and HUD/UI elements for more than 5min, literally. If I only could I'd disable the feature entirely directly on the TV (LG GX), because Netflix, YT etc. are also waaay to bright for 30-60min. sittings, let alone anything longer.

I tried HDR with like 40% brightness for some time, but then I asked myself, do I even get any benefits of the tech at all? Where sure, the bright stuff is now tolerable but everything else is so damn dimmed, washed out of color? So I went back to SDR and haven't looked back ever since. But that's one of the many reasons I went with an OLED panel instead of LCD, because the colors and contrast are amazing regardless, the only game where I personally saw noticeable difference was The Touryst, but other than I haven't miss HDR even once.
BIG LOL.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
LCD is not trash just because in one kind of scenes its bad.

Oled sucks at bright scenes too and noone seems to care.
Define sucks...

These drive by comment about any technology are hilarious. As if there is some magical TV that displays literally every scene in history perfectly.

Every tech has its drawbacks and there is another product that will perform some things better.

keefged4

The folk here who are saying HDR is a gimmick or is stupid haven't seen it properly, I went years thinking the same until I got an LG C1.

I really don't understand the science of HDR, nor do I care for the differences between thousand dollar OLED TV's.

But do I own a Samsung 4K LED TV with HDR10+

When I switch HDR on in games such as Assassin's Creed Odyssey and The Ghost of Tsushima they look jaw dropping and beautiful, the colours and contrast pop so much and in some ways it gives the games visuals more "life".

Top Bottom