• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If your not playing your XSX/PS5 on a proper HDR set you are not doing the games justice

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
My TV has 1200 nits
Am I doing it right?

ZywyPL

Banned
What? Calibrate the HDR settings to your liking on your tv, problem solved.

Problem isn't solved. I might put the work into calibrating it, sure, but then again, a feature that's so highlighted and marketed to death for years should IMO be a simple on/off feature. Because I didn't have to do anything in the mentioned The Touryst for the game to look absolutely stunning, without hurting my eves from the very 1st second. And even if I would want to put the time and effort to calibrate it, there are still issues that cannot be solved, like poor/cheap HDR implementation in most games. And you can't turn the feature on/off on per title basis mind you, you have to go to the console's settings turn it off, and then go back to the settings and turn it on again. And then the OS itself doesn't support HDR so the console switches back and forth between two modes. For me personally HDR is another 3D, where it's a huge hit and miss because the producers cheap out on it, and in the exact same way you're simply better off sticking with SDR which is 100% guaranteed to always work, always look good.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
i wish i could turn HDR off. it takes control of my tvs settings. i think its biggest supporters are people who don't know how to set up their tv picture. so it doing it for them is a big difference. i hate it
I almost always run with HDR off except a very few games anyhow

And yes I have proper HDR displays

FrankieSab

Problem isn't solved. I might put the work into calibrating it, sure, but then again, a feature that's so highlighted and marketed to death for years should IMO be a simple on/off feature. Because I didn't have to do anything in the mentioned The Touryst for the game to look absolutely stunning, without hurting my eves from the very 1st second. And even if I would want to put the time and effort to calibrate it, there are still issues that cannot be solved, like poor/cheap HDR implementation in most games. And you can't turn the feature on/off on per title basis mind you, you have to go to the console's settings turn it off, and then go back to the settings and turn it on again. And then the OS itself doesn't support HDR so the console switches back and forth between two modes. For me personally HDR is another 3D, where it's a huge hit and miss because the producers cheap out on it, and in the exact same way you're simply better off sticking with SDR which is 100% guaranteed to always work, always look good.
Do not agree with you in the least, HDR is not only more brightness but a much widder color gamut. Just lower you peak brightness in your HDR settings.

FrankieSab

i wish i could turn HDR off. it takes control of my tvs settings. i think its biggest supporters are people who don't know how to set up their tv picture. so it doing it for them is a big difference. i hate it
It takes control of your settings? No, you should have different set of settings and that's all...

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Very Funny Lol GIF

FUBARx89

Amen. Going from an “hdr ready” Samsung led set to a proper LG OLED was like night and day. Can’t possibly imagine not using HDR anymore.

HDR ready is such a crock of shit, the vast majority of the time, just means it has WCG and shit dimming that doesn't really mean much as it's an edgelit TV, not a FALD set.

Contrary to popular belief aswell (am sure we all know this on here) HDR isn't just darks and lights. It's also WCG.

Last edited:

HarryKS

Silly question, but how do I know if the HDR settings is on or not? Is it through the tv settings only or is it through the console? And does Game mode nullify it?

jaysius

Banned
HDR is superfluous gimmick that the industry has chosen to purport as THE THING because right now they're plateauing with 4K so they need something to make people feel the fake need to throw out perfectly good 1080p sets. Yes 4k on it's own is very nice, but HDR isn't needed.

Any setting setup incorrectly can be a bad time. Especially one designed to blow out pictures, it can lead to worse eyestrain because of incorrectly blowing out the wrong things.

Last edited:

FrankieSab

HDR is superfluous gimmick that the industry has chosen to purport as THE THING because right now they're plateauing with 4K so they need something to make people feel the fake need to throw out perfectly good 1080p sets. Yes 4k on it's own is very nice, but HDR isn't needed.

Any setting setup incorrectly can be a bad time. Especially one designed to blow out pictures, it can lead to worse eyestrain because of incorrectly blowing out the wrong things.
No it was created to improve old tv standards that existed for many years and are now very limitative. And to get closer to what we see in real life, we see the full color gamut and bigger range of what is dark and bright. There are millions of shades of grey in the shadows for example, that SDR cannot reproduce. HDR is not only for top brightness, like many of you seems to think.

Last edited:

Methos#1975

I've never seen a TV where HDR takes "control" of the settings

FrankieSab

Silly question, but how do I know if the HDR settings is on or not? Is it through the tv settings only or is it through the console? And does Game mode nullify it?
It depends on the TV. On LG tvs you see a HDR logo popping up, on Samsung you check on your picture information (there's a button on your remote if I am not mistaken). Game mode is not suppose to nullify it. When you check your image settings, it will shift to a new sets of values that you can adjust.

Armorian

Banned
Maybe I'm OP but I don't want to buy cheap 4K tv with shit HDR and I don't have the money for OLED panel.

Will wait for it to go mainstream... In the meantime I will get downsampling and close to 1080p in some games with performance options.

I bought PS5 because so far performance modes are standard in new games, this gen has the potential to be the best performing one (after PS2), no more 30 fps gaming ghetto.

FUBARx89

On most sets you have to enable enhanced hdmi or something to that effect.

Ps4, 5, xbox s onwards and series consoles will ask you to calibrate when it detects a HDR enabled tv.

Game mode won't turn HDR off either.

intbal

120fps games > HDR games

You can have both, of course, and that's great. But if I can only have one, I'll take the high framerate 100% of the time.

drotahorror

yup, games are hit or miss when it comes to HDR. if it's done right it looks great but if not then it might be better to play in SDR.

Naw man, I bought my OLED HDR LG C1 to play games in HDR. I would rather not play the game than play in SDR on my OLED LG C1. Poor HDR implementation? The OLED LG C1 corrects it with it's a9 Gen4 AI Processor. The colors POP (I've actually felt the Reds touch my peepee) on an OLED, blacks are Wesley Snipes. OLED HDR or bust bro, I can't even go to an IMAX, my TV rivals the best of the best because why? OLED. LG. HDR. C1.

OLED LG C1 BROKE ASS BITCH

Last edited:

CeeJay

Guess i'm not doing the games justice then :lollipop_anguish:

I'll replace my 1080p non-HDR TV when it breaks with something that will do it justice.

Loading times, FPS boost and quick resume alone have made my Series X worth the purchase for me.

SCB3

I play both on a Monitor that can do 1080p fine, but no HDR, its my next upgrade I think, but they're damned expensive

Xbox lets you view screenshots in HDR or SDR
Now just need to take a good screen shot of some game with really good HDR.
I have a Samsung Q70 it does not have Dolby Vision just the standard hdr10. I have a hard time seeing any enhancement to Disney +, Netflix stuff. Games I usually have Game mode on and I think that just makes HDR that much more muted.

Kuranghi

If you want really good/noticeable/not disappointing HDR compared to SDR then buy an LCD with ~1000+ nits on a 10% window and the about the same brightness in an HDR "real scene" (according to rtings), FALD backlight with 30+ dimming zones and a great contrast ratio - ie a VA or OLED panel.

The algorithm that controls the local dimming is very important and differs between brands but ultimately you do need more dimming zones to get the best HDR, ie with less blooming and a better black level in very dark/black areas when beside brighter imagery. So once you have the FALD backlight and the contrast ratio of the panel is good adding more zones is more important that say, going from 1000 to 1200 nits imo. Although the two usually go hand-in-hand, not much to choose from these days so you can save hassle by just buying an OLED tbh.

Example of importance of zone count: my flatmate has a TV with ~1000 nits, mine is ~1700 nits on 10% window, HDR and the picture in general is much more impressive on my set and while HDR is more impactful and bright highlights are noticeably brighter on mine, the main difference is caused by my set having ~646 dimming zones, where his has 48 zones.

So if you don't have an FALD backlight (excepting one TV I know of, Sony XE93/X930E), a VA or OLED panel with a good native contrast ratio (4000+) and a good amount of zones (More are needed if the TV gets larger too for obvious reasons) you haven't really seen proper HDR yet and it may be why its disappointing to you.

Don't buy a monitor for its HDR performance even the stupidly priced ones are quite crap in comparison to modern TVs AND you could've bought a 55" or even 65" OLED for the money you spent.

ZywyPL ZywyPL What model do you have again? I feel like you already told me so apologies for rehashing. I do agree that a lot of HDR implementations have more downsides that positives but some games are just so much better in HDR. If its Auto-HDR on the Xbox you are seeing that looks bad to you then just turn that off, I've not seen a single overall remotely better presentation from Auto-HDR vs the og SDR output of a game.

Everyone who says HDR is disappointing, what exact model display are you using? Its most likely that causing the issue and if its not then your display settings could be all out of whack, I'm not sure why HDR would be "too bright" compared to SDR as some in the thread are saying, for most people its way darker than SDR and thats usually disappointing to them ime.

Maybe also give an example of where you were let down my HDR specifically and I can suggest reasons why that might be, as many are saying in this thread some HDR modes are borderline trash and Auto-HDR is just garbage imo.

StormCell

I've been playing Forza Horizon 4 on an LG OLED. Even for a last gen game, it seriously pops during the evening and night time. My wife and her parents even commented on how good everything looked. HDR FTW.

Kuranghi

Now just need to take a good screen shot of some game with really good HDR.
I have a Samsung Q70 it does not have Dolby Vision just the standard hdr10. I have a hard time seeing any enhancement to Disney +, Netflix stuff. Games I usually have Game mode on and I think that just makes HDR that much more muted.

Is it the Q70T you have? Samsung cheaped out on the backlight in the T range and made it edge-lit instead of FALD, like the Q7 the previous year had, if you check figures for the panel there is basically no difference in the brightness of 10% highlights or real scenes in SDR vs. HDR. Thats probably the main reason why you can't notice a difference on Disney+, etc.

Game mode definitely does make the image much lower contrast on your TV too, but thats not a factor for using the in-built apps as you can use a picture mode with more a higher level of processing.

Next time you buy give me a PM and I'll give you good advice for your price range, I like Sony most but if you prefer Samsung I'll tell you the best of that brand to buy so you won't be disappointed by HDR next time. Especially on a Samsung it should be making a big difference imo.

intbal

Whats the best game to simply do an A-B comparison between On and Off?
DF and HDTVTest both think Crackdown 3 is the best game on Xbox for HDR.
I'm not sure I agree. It might have the best dynamic range measurements, but that doesn't mean it makes that game look better. I prefer to play it in SDR.
But individual tastes differ.

Kuranghi

I've been playing Forza Horizon 4 on an LG OLED. Even for a last gen game, it seriously pops during the evening and night time. My wife and her parents even commented on how good everything looked. HDR FTW.

Yeah totally, the headlights and any neon just looks superb on an OLED. I'm trying to convince my dad to buy one but he doesn't think he'll see a big difference in what he watches. He has a nice mid range Sony from 2016 but when I'm sitting there watching Netflix with him I'm always thinking "fuck this contrast/black level is so shite" lol, thats compared to my LCD, let alone OLED.

Allandor

Played Mafia remake a few months ago, somehow the picture quality had been massivly improved until I realized that the lag was also increased. It was the time the xbox got the dolby vision gaming update, my x900h TV found the dolby vision signal and switch to the dolby vision mode with picture enhancement-stuff. I switched to a less intensive mode on the TV and disabled what I could disable. The lag became better but still really high so the game got unplayable with this much better picture quality.
... as the TV does not support a gaming mode with dolby vision, I had to deactivate dolby vision on my xbox :( and the picture quality dropped again :(

What I want the threadstarter to realize, sometimes it is just the TV setting that enhances something. But yes, a good HDR picture can make a big difference in some games. I really hope sony patches in a dolby vision gaming mode (+VRR) but I guess they won't as the PS5 does not support dolby vision. After the VRR disaster (so far) my next TV won't be from Sony, that is for sure.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

My TV has 1200 nits
Am I doing it right?

~1700 nits for me :p but you already know that lol

I join you in waving our LCD-brightness-willies:

https://live.staticflickr.com/1208/751398966_5e1fac80ff_b.jpg

...too bad we're both blind from the brightness now, but to be fair:

e70.gif

*californian teenage girl voice* ...which is HDR heaveeennnn!

Last edited:

Kuranghi

It's the 2019 Q70R It's ratings are about
Brightest HDR 953
Accurate Color HDR 767
I think it's simply to dark to make a big difference in HDR on. It's just not that much of a Wow factor.

Ahh definitely better, FALD with a decent number of zones and a great contrast ratio. The problem there though I think is that the SDR and HDR peak brightness measurements aren't massively different:

Jveuzse.jpg

The real scene value is over 50% higher in HDR which is great, but the 10% window is the same between modes. The values are all quite a bit under 1000 nits so you don't get that stark difference between the HDR imagery thats within the SDR brightness range and the peak highlights, which will make a big difference as you said.

I presume by "brightest" you mean in Dynamic picture mode? Thats not an important figure because the rest of the image is destroyed to make it that bright, I wouldn't ever recommend to watch content in that mode personally, not saying you were suggesting it, just for other people reading this.

edit - if you ARE watching SDR in Dynamic picture mode with really high brightness then switching to HDR might be disappointing at first because you are used to everything on screen being really bright, HDR ideally should just be making what needs to be bright, brighter and many things should still sit in the SDR brightness range.

If your SDR picture mode has all this stuff that ideally should be 100-200 nits being boosted to 400 nits then the overall picture brightness will go down massively when you switch to HDR, especially since Samsung processing values specular highlight detail over average picture level (how bright the overall image looks) so it won't have a lot of "juice" left over to make the rest of the image as bright as SDR after it presents all that highlight detail.

Last edited:

aclar00

To make a long story short. I am playing my ps5 on a Quantum LED 4k tv set with over 1000 nit brightness. Colors pop and the contrast is amazing. I took my library of games over my buddies house and he is playing on a 4 year old 1080p Samsung. Holy shit the difference is night and day. He doesn't have HDR and games often look flat and bland in comparision. It's equivalent of playing an Xbox 360 on a 480p flatscreen. Food for thought!

Geez, my 2014 65" 1080p Sammy must be garbage then... even though it was probably top of the line (or at least near) the time of purchase.

Ill likely get a OLED within the next 2 years or so though. Maybe ill wait until the 10 year mark in 2024.

Given the state of electronics over the last two decades in actually surprise the Sammy has lasted this long. Only has two main issues which include a tiny cluster of pixels that went out (maybe just film camr off as they always stay white) and occasional Earc issue where it doesnt respond and tv has to be unplugged to reset.

With that, i believe HDR is more important than resolution. Hopefully within the next decade tv manufacturers will have moved on to something else besides resolution as the main focal point. Lets hope 8K is it and will be the holy grail. Dont want console processing power being blown on resolution (assuming consoles as we know it are still around).

Kuranghi

Geez, my 2014 65" 1080p Sammy must be garbage then... even though it was probably top of the line (or at least near) the time of purchase.

Ill likely get a OLED within the next 2 years or so though. Maybe ill wait until the 10 year mark in 2024.

Given the state of electronics over the last two decades in actually surprise the Sammy has lasted this long. Only has two main issues which include a tiny cluster of pixels that went out (maybe just film camr off as they always stay white) and occasional Earc issue where it doesnt respond and tv has to be unplugged to reset.

With that, i believe HDR is more important than resolution. Hopefully within the next decade tv manufacturers will have moved on to something else besides resolution as the main focal point. Lets hope 8K is it and will be the holy grail. Dont want console processing power being blown on resolution (assuming consoles as we know it are still around).

Depends where you live and whats available but if you are going to wait until 2024 for your next proper big TV purchase I could recommend a stop-gap HDR TV from the last few years if you PM me. You could spend around 500 of your currency (obviously that depends on where you live) and get something that gives a really amazing HDR picture in 49" or 55".

I've helped others on the form get amazing deals on old stock, some of these sets are better overall than what you can buy right now for and more than 50% off what current year sets costs.

I presume by "brightest" you mean in Dynamic picture mode?
No I mean the brightness of the HDR as compared to SDR. Dynamic as you say I never use as it just might as well be Store demo mode for cranking the brightness.
I like the Contrast of my Q70R and the picture overall but I do wish it had more features, (missing EARC just plain ole ARC)

Kuranghi

No I mean the brightness of the HDR as compared to SDR. Dynamic as you say I never use as it just might as well be Store demo mode for cranking the brightness.
I like the Contrast of my Q70R and the picture overall but I do wish it had more features, (missing EARC just plain ole ARC)
It's the 2019 Q70R It's ratings are about
Brightest HDR 953
Accurate Color HDR 767

I think it's simply to dark to make a big difference in HDR on. It's just not that much of a Wow factor.

I meant the bolded part here, I thought you meant 953 was HDR in dynamic mode and 767 was in a more accurate picture mode. Did you mean to write SDR for the 2nd bolded line?

That is OK. As long as I'm enjoying the game, I do not care how they might look on a better screen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom