• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you had a child, how would you introduce them to gaming?

PhaseJump

Banned
AWk4MuR.jpg

Playstation's light:

tumblr_oj88k2YKlb1sigjl3o1_500.gifv

th4tguy

My kids started with educational games on tablets and watching me play games on the wiiu
Now they are old enough to play games on the switch and have enjoyed game builder garage, Mario kart, Mario odyssey, sunshine, 64, Pikmin 3, and just recent got into splatoon 2.
It’s steadily progressed as they have gotten older. They don’t get to play games by themselves though. It’s usually treated as a family thing. We all sit around and take turns and watch eachother play.

Lots of people on the fringe here.

Introducing your kids to video games is no different from introducing them to toys, sports or movies. It's just another thing for them to do. It's not that weird to think about what kind of games you'd want to introduce them to. It'll probably be something you're familiar with. Of course many parents go too far in this and leave little room for the kids to explore and discover for themselves, but simply introducing (certain) games doesn't make you an awful parent that tries to turn their kid into a clone of themselves.

I also understand why people suggest older games, like on the SNES. They're colorful, easy to understand and play, have simple controllers and are safe both in terms of content and lack of online. Seems like a great place to start. I wouldn't make them sit through N64 games or whatever in some vain attempt to teach them the history of video games though. Just give them a good starting point and let them go from there.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Start them on Pong. Let them hold the controller and twist the knobs like Wax on, wax off. They must do this one hundred times per hand, for one week.
This will create muscle memory.
Afterwards turn the Pong machine on and let them play. This will teach them hand eye coordination.

When they master Pong take them to the arcade room, and tell them to play some classic games. Make them check the coin returns for quarters. Check behind the machines as well as under them.
This will teach them resourcefulness and the value of money.
Play some two player games and if they’re about to lose, teach them to bump into the person next to them so their hands leave the joystick. Then beat them while they stumble back. This will teach them to win at any cost.

Afterwards you should have them research building a PC. This will teach them how to read, to devise and execute a plan. Treat them to something extravagant as a reward for their hard work.

When they’re at school be sure to have them bully the console kids. This will teach them confidence, and the food chain which they now sit at the top of.

Or just…buy a Switch and play some awesome Nintendo games together.

Amory

In all honesty, I don’t think I will. If he wants to play something, cool.

When I was growing up I was introduced to games through my friends, definitely not my parents. Frankly if he’s not into games and spends his time doing something more productive I’d be great with that

JLB

Banned
You wont need to introduce them to gaming, since they will do it by themlselves pretty easily. Nowadays kids are much smarter than us.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
You wont need to introduce them to gaming, since they will do it by themlselves pretty easily. Nowadays kids are much smarter than us.
If kids are smarter than you, you must be a real moron. They aren't smarter or more savvy or more anything than a full functioning adult, they just have more free time.

PhaseJump

Banned

No they aren't. They're stupid like us. Perhaps worse off because they have less practical skillsets being passed down to them.

Most millennials can't fix a flat tire, and still think they can fix the world. Their kids are doomed.

Sabotage

I have the Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and Sega "classic" consoles. My daughter loves Ecco and just swimming around that first part. She also likes Mario, Sonic, and Excite Bike.

JLB

Banned
If kids are smarter than you, you must be a real moron. They aren't smarter or more savvy or more anything than a full functioning adult, they just have more free time.

Thats not mutually exclusive.
To my point: Kids are comparatively much more smarter nowadays than we were at that age.

I certainly wouldn't start them on ancient hardware just because it's what I played when I was younger. Egotistical horse shit.

Whatever is the current Nintendo thing probably, something like Kirby with no-lose mode on.
My line of thinking wasn't "they need to do what I did", but more that they'd be able to play a wider variety of games with them feeling fresh, opposed to playing a bunch of ps5 games and going back and trying to experience the classics.

Probably unrealistic though lol

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Thats not mutually exclusive.
To my point: Kids are comparatively much more smarter nowadays than we were at that age.

I would say my 8 year old self was smarter than my 8 year old. But I grew up without a TV, so maybe I messed up my kids by giving them electronics. I did have a NES, but no TV watching. You said your kid was smarter than you (an adult), that can't be real. If your kid is smarter than you were at the same comparative age, that could be reasonable.

Patrick S.

Banned
I bought a V-Tech VSmile kiddie console and a bunch of games for my son when he was little. He loved it. And those games had didactic stuff like logic puzzles, songs, spelling games etc.

He's been a hardcore gamer ever since. Well, to be honest, he's a gaming addict like me now...

my two girls bug me to play games all the time so I have paw patrol and peppa pig to entertain them on gamepass and PS5 has astrobot which they absolutely love to run around with.

Everyone thinks their kid will relive their childhood from NES to current day at an accelerated pace.

Then, you actually have kids and realize you can't get them to stop playing Roblox, Minecraft and various free-to-play garbage, no matter how hard you try.

Hohenheim

When my kid was about 5 I introduced him to Nintendo's classics, and it didn't take long before he was enjoying stuff like Shovel Knight, Minecraft and Lego games.
Before that he was under the impression that my ps4 was a internet router!

From around 8 years old all he wanted was Fortnite (like very other kid in his class), and that's pretty much all he plays now, along with some awful mobile games that changes all the time.
He's been watching me play a bit of from software games, but most of the time he just wants to look at all the various weapons in the menu.

To be honest, I very much prefer to spend my precious gaming time on my own, while he plays his stuff with his friends. I got him a cheap TV and a Series S for him room, to make sure he don't mess around with my gear. And we play a bit of FIFA together now and then. And lately the new turtles game, which is perfect for quick sessions with kids.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Dual PCs when he or she is 10 years old. Holding the kid in my lap while played since 2 years old. Home schooling on the history of video games. No other lessons will be taught. Keyboard classes. Phone games are banned in my house.

Dual PCs when he or she is 10 years old. Holding the kid in my lap while played since 2 years old. Home schooling on the history of video games. No other lessons will be taught. Keyboard classes. Phone games are banned in my house.
Keyboard classes? Just give them mario teaches typing and off they go lol

Game legit helped me a lot learning how to type as a kid in the early 90s lmao

Laptop1991

My 2 kids, not kids now of course, just watched me playing then they would have a go and they got consoles as presents, pretty much, simple as that.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Personally I would let them play what they would like, unless it is a game that has some form of predatory MTX. I outlaw those.

MP!

My first was watching me play pokemon pearl on my DSi within 24hrs of birth. At 2 he loved mario vs DK... well he mostly loved just turning it on and off and then watching the intro... but he played it too.
He still likes games now
I'm getting him started on unreal so he can do something other than Play games. and maybe have some skills for the real world. At my house It's probably impossible to make it through life without loving games.

Last edited:

sn0man

I was in boy scouts, played football, soccer, basketball, and baseball while being in honors and ap classes along the way and some of my favorite memories were sitting next to my friends watching movies or playing rock band or w/e

The two aren't mutually exclusive
Cross country, track, basketball, baseball, band (meh), some Boy Scouts, four wheelers that a friend had. Animals, swimming, the lake, canoeing.

I probably would have kept at gaming too hard if I didn’t have a bit of a restriction but I will say gaming was a part of my favorite memories too.

Cross country, track, basketball, baseball, band (meh), some Boy Scouts, four wheelers that a friend had. Animals, swimming, the lake, canoeing.

I probably would have kept at gaming too hard if I didn’t have a bit of a restriction but I will say gaming was a part of my favorite memories too.
For sure, I guess my point was that you should certainly have numerous hobbies, but if one of your more enjoyable ones is video games I don't think that alone says anything about you

Weirdly, I've thought about this too hard lol.

First, I'd introduce them to early 8 bit games, like Atari and Colecovision era around 4 years old. Would definitely have to keep them away from cellphones, and the idea is to try to let them experience the simplicity of this media first. Then, by 5 years old, the NES. By 7, SNES and Genesis. I want them to appreciate the evolution of games the same way I did.

Then I'd literally skip to whatever the current generation is by the time they're 8-9. I'd forego early 3D consoles and the PS3/360 era... Mainly because I feel like today's consoles are just a refinement of what those tried to be.

It would take years of keeping them away from the current status quo and make sure that they can adapt and enjoy the older games and really experience them for what they are... There was a time I thought that my thinking was crazy and wouldn't work. I was proving wrong because a friend of mine did the same thing. I was always thinking and his kid just finished final fantasy 7 on PS1 the other day at the age of 14 years old. He really appreciates all games and not just what is popular. I don't even think he plays Fortnite.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Keyboard classes? Just give them mario teaches typing and off they go lol

Game legit helped me a lot learning how to type as a kid in the early 90s lmao
Yea, us dinosaurs learned typing in typing class in high school...didn't learn typing til i was 16.

caravanqbert

Neo Member
Roblox on PC is great for kids that are just old enough to read. They get to know the keyboard layout and how to use a mouse.
Which will help them when they get their Chromebook from school.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I did it based on what I had at the time.

My kids first got introduced to the PS2 then eventually Wii, PS3 and 360 all at once.

Like others said, they saw me playing and wanted to play too. Usually the controller not connected works until they catch on, lol.

I usually used racing games or games with cars to help get them used to the controller.

sn0man

Weirdly, I've thought about this too hard lol.

First, I'd introduce them to early 8 bit games, like Atari and Colecovision era around 4 years old. Would definitely have to keep them away from cellphones, and the idea is to try to let them experience the simplicity of this media first. Then, by 5 years old, the NES. By 7, SNES and Genesis. I want them to appreciate the evolution of games the same way I did.

Then I'd literally skip to whatever the current generation is by the time they're 8-9. I'd forego early 3D consoles and the PS3/360 era... Mainly because I feel like today's consoles are just a refinement of what those tried to be.

It would take years of keeping them away from the current status quo and make sure that they can adapt and enjoy the older games and really experience them for what they are... There was a time I thought that my thinking was crazy and wouldn't work. I was proving wrong because a friend of mine did the same thing. I was always thinking and his kid just finished final fantasy 7 on PS1 the other day at the age of 14 years old. He really appreciates all games and not just what is popular. I don't even think he plays Fortnite.
I like most of this. I think I would pick an early PlayStation game for them to play to see early 3D graphics though or something early on pc. Like mechwarrrior

shoegaze

My son is 4. Gave him Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8 and Astro's Playroom. Always wants to play Astro's Playroom and doesn't even enjoy the former two.

Top Bottom