• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could restore one competitive multiplayer shooter to its peak player count for modern consoles and PC, what game would you pick and why?

Codes 208

Titanfall unronically.

TF2 had an amazing camapign but the multiplayer felt watered down where parkour took a backseat and the titan classes got nerfed from 1.

Titanfall 1 had a good balance of maps, modes, classes and titan customization (something tf2 was sorely missing)

Otherwise Halo 3 and Gears 3 would be my followup picks.

Last edited:

tygertrip

In this hypothetical, the game would be a remastered version for modern consoles and PC, and would see a renewed interest similar to the most popularity it ever had at a given time. The game would be a remaster, not a remake. Higher frame rate and better resolution of the original art. No bugs, server issues, or cheaters.

So if you could go back and experience a multiplayer shooter again, what game would you pick and why?
Quake 3, with the Q1 DM levels added. Also, BF 1942 and BF Vietnam (the original, not Bad Company Vietnam). Yes, that is more than one... I can't choose! Wait... One more... Jedi Knight 1!!!

Last edited:

tygertrip

Killzone 3, because of the better modes. And one of the few multiplayer games I was actually good in,
because the surround sound was fantastic! Also loved seeing myself back in those cutscenes from the Operations mode.
Killzone 3 was fucking incredible, using the Sharpshooter. Of course, Farpoint and other VR shooters have long surpassed the Sharpshooter. Though, tbh, I can't remember if KZ3 allowed the Sharpshooter in multiplayer.

tygertrip

220px-Enemy_Territory_Quake_Wars_Game_Cover.jpg

I dumped so much time into this game, and it is still my favorite online shooter. Much like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, it is an objective based FPS with multiple classes to choose from. Both sides (the Strong or GDF) had 5 classes to choose from, that were the same archetypes with some minor differences. There were also vehicles, which could have used a bit better balancing to be honest but man did I love this game. Problem is, it was published by Activision, around the time CoD MW was released, so once QW launched, there was little support for QW as CoD was their main focus. The community definitely did drive some great custom content, but it was always a small community for such a great game. Really wish it would have taken off more as it deserved so much more. Mind you I only played the PC version, I recall hearing the console versions were pretty rough.

Unreal Tournament would be a second pick here. It kills me Epic killed the project for the new one a year or two ago, because Fortnite is their main focus and rakes in so much cash for them. I get it, but it still sucks 😔
Damn straight. QW was incredibly underrated. I want to blame the console kiddies for having no taste , but I also heard the console versions were rough.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Halo 3 is the only correct answer.

Honourable mentions Q3, UT, 1.6 to remove all the kid scrubbers these days who need their hand held.

Top Bottom