• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If there is hope for a remake of the DKC series, would GAF prefer the 90s art style or something up-to-date?

The DCK remakes artstyle should be...

• ...90s style

Votes: 24 72.7%
  • ...Like DKCTF

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • ...."modern" style

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • .... other

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
If ever there is aquestion, which art style would GAF prefer? Personally, I think the 90s Artstyle is better, especially in connection with RT I would find that very interesting. Such as this SM64 RT Mod:

I want a Nintendo game with the early 80s art style that could only be realized in instruction manuals and side of arcade cabinets.

Donkey_Kong_Arcade_side_art.png

cf4ebb4482cfdf333526f8881466c5c1.jpg

Rat Rage

There is no need to remake the original trilogy. Just play it on a SNES and a CRT - I won't get better than that.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Why even remake it if you're just gonna try and emulate the old style? They still play fine. Just play those.

RainblowDash

Gold Member
90s style.

I didn't like the visuals of the two newest DKC games for Wii U and Switch, the backgrounds are just too busy

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Because you can make the old style look so much better with current tech.

Maybe, although that video doesn't demonstrate anything relevant. DKC is borderline claymation. I just think if you try and emulate that style in 2021 it could look super goofy, maybe I'm wrong.

Drell

Why even remake it if you're just gonna try and emulate the old style? They still play fine. Just play those.
Have you even look at the SM64 raytracing thing? It looks extremly close to pre-rendered artwork of the game at the time. Rare were the precursors of pre-rendered CGI in video games, so a lot of us who growned up with the DKC trilogy, had these memories of the game lloking just like the artwork we were seeing in the manual, but the truth is that if you play it today, even on a CRT, you'll see all the compression they had to use to make the game fit in a 32MB cartridge and all the details that had to be sacrified to accomodate with the SNES' 16 colors palettes for sprites and tiles.
It's the switch so something like the SM64 video in full 3D wouldn't be possible, but re-render all the backgrounds and sprite without compression, without color limit and with full 60 FPS sprite animations and all that in 1080p would already be awesome for me.

AV

Have you even look at the SM64 raytracing thing? It looks extremly close to pre-rendered artwork of the game at the time. Rare were the precursors of pre-rendered CGI in video games, so a lot of us who growned up with the DKC trilogy, had these memories of the game lloking just like the artwork we were seeing in the manual, but the truth is that if you play it today, even on a CRT, you'll see all the compression they had to use to make the game fit in a 32MB cartridge and all the details that had to be sacrified to accomodate with the SNES' 16 colors palettes for sprites and tiles.
It's the switch so something like the SM64 video in full 3D wouldn't be possible, but re-render all the backgrounds and sprite without compression, without color limit and with full 60 FPS sprite animations and all that in 1080p would already be awesome for me.

I'm with you, I think it was the use of the word "remake" that put me off - Link's Awakening was a remake, they went with a totally new style and it was fantastic. What you're describing sounds like a remaster, if they just took the original assets and cranked everything up. I'm in for that. I just wouldn't want them to try something in-between which looked like they were trying to emulate that style.

FR1908

If Nintendo had a RT machine then yes, upgrade it to that Silicon Graphics look. I like that style. Just add some fur textures to it as well. I think the animals in DKC3s artwork had fur.

Top Bottom