• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Not for The PS5, Final Fantasy 16 Would Still be in Development, Says Game Director

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
final-fantasy-16-ps5.original.jpg

Being a PS5 timed exclusive, Final Fantasy XVI utilizes the full capacity of the PS5 hardware and the dev team has all the praises for it.

According to Game producer Naoki Yoshida (Latest Edition of Play Magazine UK):

[For] pretty much the whole game from beginning to end, you’re not going to have any load times. And to be able to do this and make it work is something we could only do with the PlayStation 5.

Since the release of PlayStation 5, there only have been handful of games that have utilized the full potential of the PS5 hardware. Final Fantasy 16 would feel and play like those first party games.

Game director, Hiroshi Takai on the other hand believes that if it weren’t for the PS5 hardware, the would have been still in development.

If we didn’t have the memory that the PlayStation 5 has and also the transfer speed, the SSD, that the PlayStation 5 has, we would still be development right now.

So it seems like despite all the criticism related to Final Fantasy 16 exclusivity, developers are quite happy with what they have managed to achieve with the PS5 for the time being.

While Final Fantasy 16 is not a typical open-world game, it has areas that resemble Final Fantasy X and XII, explained Naoki Yoshida.

We have what’s called a world map. And on that world map, you have the areas that you can travel to, and you that area, and then you jump to that area seamlessly. And then you follow the main quest there, and then once you finish that, you’ll go back to this hub area […] called the Hideaway.

He further explains:

Each Place that you unlock then becomes available to visit at any time. And so if you decide, ‘Okay, I want to try something else, I’m done with the main scenario for now, ‘you can go back to places that you visited before and explore those places. And if some of those places, there’ll be new side-quests that you can start. And you can go off and do things like that. You can explore, you can do the hunts. You can find the items , you can do the quests.

Final Fantasy 16 seems to have reached Gold status and will release exclusively for the PS5 on June 22, 2023.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The PC port of this is going to be a mess. I can already feel it.
They previously mentioned that they don't expect to have a PC port ready for the date after the exclusive period. The fact they are happy to admit that, I hope the PC version will be fine when it eventually releases.

GHG

Gold Member
They previously mentioned that they don't expect to have a PC port ready for the date after the exclusive period. The fact they are happy to admit that, I hope the PC version will be fine when it eventually releases.

One can only hope but seeing how other recent console to PC ports have performed it doesn't bode well.

That is, unless they have a completely separate pc version that they've been quietly working on in the background in tandem.

ungalo

He's talking about the next gen, not the fact it's releasing on only one platform.

Actually what he's saying here is that it's not really a next gen game outside of some very specific features, not very exciting.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
One can only hope but seeing how other recent console to PC ports have performed it doesn't bode well.

That is, unless they have a completely separate pc version that they've been quietly working on in the background in tandem.
I'm hoping it will be fine as the FFXIV producer is involved and he would understand the need for a competent PC version.

Reactions: GHG
Well when you're developing for one platform and have Sony people there working with you of course there's going to be development and time efficiency.
People really want to disagree with the notion that porting to PC on day 1 requires a lot of additional resources. There is a reason why Sony games are so well known for their polish. They only have to develop for one platform. Additionally, PS5 uses the same architecture as the PS4, making it even easier on developers who previously worked on PS4 games

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Whats funny is that... he probably isnt lying.

Just gonna put this out there, memory and IO management is one of the biggest headaches with the design and development of any game.

A developer saying `Thanks to the PS5 compared to say the PS4, we don't have to worry about xyz any more and makes development faster`....

isn't or wouldn't be lie.

BlackTron

Well I can believe it's easier to deliver an exclusive game faster than a multi platform game, especially when one of those systems is Series S indeed.

But his comments sound more like console war BS with PR buzzwords even if they reach the same conclusion.

Top Bottom