• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Microsoft don't use just the TFLOPS to compare Xbox Series X GPU to the Xbox One & Xbox One X why is everyone else using it to compare it to PS5 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

They only claim a 4-6X raw GPU advantage over Xbox One while having 9X TFLOPS advantage , The triangles rate advantage is the part that bring it down to 4 -6X the raw GPU output & PS5 actually has the advantage in triangle & pixel fill rate so why do people keep using the Xbox Series X GPU TFLOPS to claim a 18% advantage for Xbox SX over PS5?

YxoqnoG.jpg

John254

Banned
They only claim a 4-6X raw GPU advantage over Xbox One while having 9X TFLOPS advantage , The triangles rate advantage is the part that bring it down to 4 -6X the raw GPU output & PS5 actually has the advantage in triangle & pixel fill rate so why do people keep using the Xbox Series X GPU TFLOPS to claim a 18% advantage for Xbox SX over PS5?

YxoqnoG.jpg
Because Hot Chips is technological conference, not "dick measuring" PR contest. And goal of that slide was to show, how Microsoft got around technological limitations thanks to clever engineering.

Do we really need to drag that competition even to the places where it doesn't belong? Are you really that stupid?

Last edited:

Reindeer

Because Series X GPU has the same architecture and is from the same family of GPUs as PS5, which is obviously not the case when comparing it to this gen's consoles. Common, this should be common knowledge by now. And it's actually 15.4% and not 18.

Last edited by a moderator:

onQ123

Because Hot Chips is technological conference, not "dick measuring" PR contest. And goal of that slide was to show, how Microsoft got around technological limitations thanks to clever engineering.

Do we really need to drag that competition even to the places where it doesn't belong? Are you really that stupid?

The 1st time they said it was 6X the power of Xbox One & close to 2X the Xbox One X was not at hot chips but the hot chip slide goes into more detail.

John254

Banned
The 1st time they said it was 6X the power of Xbox One & close to 2X the Xbox One X was not at hot chips but the hot chip slide goes into more detail.

Yes. They said it in context "Our target with XsX was to double the TFLOPS number in comparison to Xbox One X." Which is totally legit and okay.

Just stop. Only reason why you created this thread was to start a console war with your stupid questions, that can be answered by anybody with half of a brain.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Then take it out of the equation, take PS5 out. Is it worth reflecting why with going from GCN FLOPS to RDNA2 FLOPS (yuck, still hate this terminology, let’s say properly that there are efficiency gains) and thus going from a 1.3 TFLOPS GCN based GPU to 12 TFLOPS RDNA2 based GPU their internal assessment is a 4-6x performance improvement while the FLOPS ratings suggests almost 10x.

Is there a reason trying not to only look at the FLOPS count is seen as worrying and console warring? The answer is obvious... from both sides...

For the same reason they exclaimed the Xbox One X was 40% more powerful than the PlayStation 4 Pro while on paper it was actually 43%, and in practice more like 70-80%.

onQ123

Yes. They said it in context "Our target with XsX was to double the TFLOPS number in comparison to Xbox One X." Which is totally legit and okay.

Just stop. Only reason why you created this thread was to start a console war with your stupid questions, that can be answered by anybody with half of a brain.

I'm not starting a console war I'm pointing out the fact that MS isn't just using the TFLOPS numbers to claim 9X the power of Xbox One because even they know that it's more to a GPU then the compute.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
For the same reason they exclaimed the Xbox One X was 40% more powerful than the PlayStation 4 Pro while on paper it was actually 43%, and in practice more like 70-80%.

Sure, because TFLOPS are one of the various metrics. PS4 Pro was not a success because it was the bestest console ever: it had a target it had to reach for $399 without taking a bath on costs and a launch date 12 months ahead of the competition and it met that.

XOX proved that you can optimise on some items and offer certain capabilities that will allow developers to make better use of a mid generation upgrade, where most developers will just do the cheapest and quickest job they possibly can, and are able to get higher than linear improvements in some scenarios. They read the room very well with that design.

Sony optimised for different factors, VR included as that was one of its goals too, but IMHO held back on some items they could have still pushed a bit more on for not much extra cost (memory bandwidth is one of them) and added HW capabilities to allow developers to make the HW punch above its weight which are mostly wasted on third party developers (at least earlier on) with a mid generation upgrade where few of any third party developer will actually spend time exploiting the HW (it is not a new generation with exclusive software).

onQ123

No they said it before that Xbox Series X was about 2X Xbox One X & they said 6 or 8X the Xbox One I remember it & thought it was strange that they said that when the FLOPS advantage is bigger.

Then take it out of the equation, take PS5 out. Is it worth reflecting why with going from GCN FLOPS to RDNA2 FLOPS (yuck, still hate this terminology, let’s say properly that there are efficiency gains) and thus going from a 1.3 TFLOPS GCN based GPU to 12 TFLOPS RDNA2 based GPU their internal assessment is a 4-6x performance improvement while the FLOPS ratings suggests almost 10x.

Is there a reason trying not to only look at the FLOPS count is seen as worrying and console warring? The answer is obvious... from both sides...
Ugh no, because we already know how the efficiency of RDNA 1.0 bears out so this will as RDNA 2.0 either scale equally with that or beyond it.

I have a Vega 64 which in reference form is about an 11.5 teraflop GPU under GCN 5.0. The 9.7 teraflop 5700 XT with a 1.25x efficiency gain puts it at roughly 12.25 GCN teraflops which is why it not only matches the Vega 64, it decently outstripes it.

There's a direct correlation to the efficiency uplift and relative teraflops.

Last edited:

onQ123

How does MS count the 10x more pixels? 🤔

3840x2160/1920/1080 = 10X?

from 1080P to 4K is 4X the pixels but when you go from 60 to 120 that makes it 8X the pixels & if you factor in that Xbox One mostly come in at below 1080P it should be around 10X the pixels.

onQ123

Because Series X GPU has the same architecture and is from the same family of GPUs as PS5, which is obviously not the case when comparing it to this gen's consoles. Common, this should be common knowledge by now. And it's actually 15.4% and not 18.

It's 18% more TFLOPS for Xbox SX & 15% less TFLOPS for PS5 I'm not sure why you said it's 15% without context SMH.

TonyK

I prefer Playstation because I love their single player cinematic games (specially Naughty Dog's work), but at the same time I have no problem to accept that Xbox Series X will be more powerful.

What's the problem? If power is so important for somebody go and buy a Xbox, or better, build a PC. If not, if you plan to buy a PS5, then why bother with Xbox tech numbers?

It says more of your insecurities than of the possible flaws of the console.

Reindeer

It's 18% more TFLOPS for Xbox SX & 15% less TFLOPS for PS5 I'm not sure why you said it's 15% without context SMH.
The difference between two systems is 1.87 tflops, which is 15.4% of the total tflop capacity of Series X (12.15). Welcome to beginner math.

Last edited by a moderator:

onQ123

The difference between two systems is 1.87 tflops, which is 15.4% of the total tflop capacity of Series X (12.15).

SMH you don't understand that you have to use context when giving percentages? you would say Xbox SX has 18% more FLOPS or you would say PS5 has 15% less FLOPS.

Off topic, just reading and...

I get warning when I say that I won’t pay more than 100 us on Xbox.

now offending one person in a vulgar way is ok.

so this is Neogaf :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom