• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If DECK is successful, Steam console will follow.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'd be on board if the price is right. I really want to get a new rig to play Warhammer: Total War 3 in the highest possible specs, but to do that I'd be dropping over a grand. If I could do it for a fraction of the cost then I'm there.

Sorcerer

One would lose the trackpads on a desktop. Valve would probably have to come out with a Steam Controller 2 to ship with the desktop. As a desktop pc you would be asking people to give up Windows for Linux. Judging by how bad Steam OS was just by the browsing experience, (not sure what modern Steam OS browsing is like) it would never fly. The SteamDeck, being game centric and portable can get away with many compromises you can't get away with on a desktop.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Steam console will only work if Valve are competitive with the pricing. If they can release a Steam console that's more powerful than Series X for the same price or slightly more then they can be competitive.

Majukun

it depends.
previous steam consoles failed because they managed to offer the worst of both worlds.
the deck right now got people hyped up because even though he is not really THAT powerful in the end, it's plenty powerful for an handheld.

a steam home console would need to be plenty more powerful than ps5 and xbone while still keeping the price low, which is the hard part

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
in a year from now they can.

If that's the case then I will be there day 1.
it depends.
previous steam consoles failed because they managed to offer the worst of both worlds.
the deck right now got people hyped up because even though he is not really THAT powerful in the end, it's plenty powerful for an handheld.

a steam home console would need to be plenty more powerful than ps5 and xbone while still keeping the price low, which is the hard part

Valve could be in a unique position where they can order in bulk and take a loss or make a tiny profit to make more money on Steam store sales.

Bundle it with a Steam Controller 2.

Have 2 versions
Steam Home - 500GB
£250 matches Series S power
Steam Home Plus - 1TB
£450 matches matches Series X and PS5 power
Steam Home Ultra - 1.5TB
£700 destroys PS5 and Series X power

Holammer

Tyler, Valve's crazy stalker posted a video discussing datamining of the recent DOTA2 update where they found references to "Steam_Console" and some other stuff.

SNG32

They already had a steam console and we seen how that turned out. I think the reason why a steam console wouldn’t work is the specs that would go into to keep it on a budget level. If they were to drop a console to keep it at a good price point you’d be lucky to get a 3060 in it.

This shit is going to flop, hard. Valve has no interest in supporting their physical products beyond a couple years and seems to have a massive disinterest in designing games in general.
How are the two related at all? What does making games have to do with running a store or making hardware?

Also, Valve is still supporting all of their hardware. They just aren't making most of it any more. SteamLink software is kept up-to-date because even some of the new Steam features (like Remote Play Together without a Steam account) run through it, the Steam Controller keeps getting updates. Vive and Index are hale and healthy. The only thing that's really been neglected at all is Steam Machines, but they were hardly ever even made (and were never made by Valve at all), and even then they're just PCs - Valve is about to drop an entire new SteamOS version for them to use.

NovaSe7en

Valve has a marketing problem, so I'm not even convinced that Steam Deck will take off like some are thinking.

Steam Machines were a really half-assed initiative with mixed messaging. Nobody, outside of the core gaming space, knew what it was and who it was for.

ParaSeoul

Michael J Fox Marty GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Vagswarm

They probably have a better chance of breaking into the handheld space than console. Then again, everyone who tried has so far backed out.

NovaSe7en

The only thing that will prevent the Deck from "taking off" will be Valve's almost inevitable inability to manufacture enough of these to keep up with the demand.

Do we even know how many they are going to manufacture for launch? They could ship 50,000, and say it's in demand.

Gamezone

Gold Member
My PC is already hooked up to my TV trough an Nvidia Shield and Steam big picture mode. I don't need a "Steam console". Could also use a Steam Link or HDMI cable.

sendit

The Deck is interesting because it’s something I can’t do with off the shelf parts. However, a steam console would be pointless.

The only thing that will prevent the Deck from "taking off" will be Valve's almost inevitable inability to manufacture enough of these to keep up with the demand.
They seem to have contracted Quanta Computer Inc. for manufacture, if the boxes featured in the "Steam Deck devkits going out" blog post are anything to go by. Quanta being a manufacturer for all kinds of electronics, for example Macbooks. Valve might not be as low on Deck stock on release as the more realistic/pessimistic estimates might have had us thinking.

Sentenza

Do we even know how many they are going to manufacture for launch? They could ship 50,000, and say it's in demand.

They seem to have contracted Quanta Computer Inc. for manufacture, if the boxes featured in the "Steam Deck devkits going out" blog post are anything to go by. Quanta being a manufacturer for all kinds of electronics, for example Macbooks. Valve might not be as low on Deck stock on release as the more realistic/pessimistic estimates might have had us thinking.
We know that an estimated amount of roughly 200K pieces or so in the first few hours since the preorders opened was enough to put people on MONTHS of queue waiting for their turn.
It doesn't exactly bode well for Newell's claimed goal to "sell millions".

We know that an estimated amount of roughly 200K pieces or so in the first few hours since the preorders opened was enough to put people on MONTHS of queue waiting for their turn.
It doesn't exactly bode well for Newell's claimed goal to "sell millions".
They did say they're working to get more of them made. And a fair number of people, even from limited circles like these forums, have already been moved up in the queue. My guess is they had an existing contract for a certain number of consoles made, and based their queue estimates on such. And now that their estimates have been blown out of the water, they may try to strike some larger contracts to get more units produced faster. The chip shortage is certainly putting a damper on things, but this is a new chip, with no other products sharing the demand, so hopefully it's not all doom and gloom as far as increasing production.

Top Bottom