• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Bioware is 'dead', will Archetype Entertainment take it's place?

Daymos

This is the first I've heard of these guys, but they seem to be owned by Wizards of the Coast and they are working on RPGs. Nice to have Drew Karpyshyn there as a writer.

"A look at Archetype’s LinkedIn profile shows that, in addition to Ohlen, Robertson, and Karpyshyn, the studio has hired the following ex-BioWare employees:

• Jesse Sky, former BioWare creative director
  • Ricardo Flores, former BioWare lead animator
  • Chris King, former BioWare gameplay design director
  • Leonard Quam, former director of BioWare Online Services
  • Marcus Hays, former BioWare senior lead software engineer
  • Brian Kenny, former BioWare senior technical animator
  • Tal Peleg, former BioWare senior animation director
  • Sean Boocock, former BioWare software engineer"

https://www.thegamer.com/wotc-new-studio-bioware/

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I don't think anyone can replace Bioware...but there can be something that does similar games.

driqe

If Archetype can make something better than Mass Effect 2 or Jade Empire then yeah,but until then, Bioware> Archetype

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I want you to have optimistic dreams! Maybe the future could be good.

GIF by moodman

Valonquar

Andromeda set the bar exeptionally low, and the changes to the remastered collection aren't sitting well with many. If the old guard at Archetype can create something new, I'm all for it.

Spiders dev team.

They created the technomancer and greedfall and have been getting better each game.

Both remind me of old school kotor Era party based 3rd person bioware.

Technomancer was great it got panned due to limited fast travel and back tracking
Otherwise it was a hidden gem of a game. Greedfall improved their output.
With a larger budget this team could shine.

Current day bioware is not old bioware. The two doctors are long gone. The writers of baldur's gate, kotor, Dao, jade empire are mostly all gone. It's a new crew up EA people. Sarkisian cult members, soy enfussed wokistanies, a racist arab/Canadian who hates white people to thr point of excluding skin shades in character creation, and EA backed micro transaction shills.
They lost me way before thr butt censorship.

Dragon Age Origins and Mass effect 3 was probably their last good games. Dragon age 2 would of probably been OK if not for being rushed. Inquisition was OK, it was bloated and disjointed, imo.

Last edited:

YuLY

Karpyshyn and Avellone are my favorite writers in this industry. If Archetype will have budget for their project, the hype train will be unreal for me.

Fbh

Spiders dev team.

They created the technomancer and greedfall and have been getting better each game.

Both remind me of old school kotor Era party based 3rd person bioware.

Technomancer was great it got panned due to limited fast travel and back tracking
Otherwise it was a hidden gem of a game. Greedfall improved their output.
With a larger budget this team could shine.

Yeah I'd really like to see someone invest in Spiders.

I really think they have the potential to be a new Bioware, but they always seem to be struggling with low budgets.

I am not against "cancelling" people in theory. For example Jimmy Saville.

But we live in an age where you can be destroyed because of a stupid text message from 20 years ago... And nobody does any due diligence.

thief183

It is not so easy. Make an rpg that doesn't piss off somone is impossible and they would probably still try to pander to someone, so in the end, half of the gaming community will hate them no matter what.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Nice to have Drew Karpyshyn there as a writer.
If years of playing videogames taught me anything is that majority of the stories in videogames are absolute thrash with one memorable exception every 2-3 years. I just checked his profile and the guy has been exclusively writing tie-in books from Mass Effect and Star Wars franchises, so not exactly stellar resume.

EDIT: Ok, I saw he actually wrote both the stories of Mass Effect 1 and KotOR so I take the above back - could be good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom