• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

id Software's Marty Stratton "Stunned" By DOOM Eternal Switch Port, Thinks People Are Going To "Love It"

The Switch isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination, I agree, but as you said, some people want Nintendo exclusives, so they buy a Switch as their primary gaming device and don't have the desire / time / money to buy another. It makes no sense for these people to buy another system if they only want to play a few third party games which are available on Switch anyway. It's not like these games are terrible. The Switch is a full gen behind the competition, so if these people have no interest in XB/PS/PC gaming, are they really losing out? Yeah, it's not the "best" experience, but it's either this experience (which is largely in-line or better than the previous gen) or no experience, and many people choose the former.

Maybe Nintendo gamers are willing to pay more, maybe companies exploit that fact, but I don't see the problem. The wishlist exists, discounts are commonplace. People can vote with their wallets. All the big Capcom / Square / Bethesda games get regular discounts on the e-shop. I haven't bought anything from those companies (digital at least) at full price simply because they are overpriced. More than happy to when a sale comes along though. It's not ideal and you raise valid points, but I think your view that people shouldn't play these games simply because a "superior version" exists pr they're too expensive kind of misses the point. I can't speak for people who pay full price for ports or re-releases, but I don't do it and would advise others to do the same. You don't have to buy a game on day 1. This really isn't hard.

I have a PC and will probably buy Doom Eternal there, but my PC gets played way less than my Switch. If a company puts in the effort to make a good Switch port that runs well (stable framerate, 30fps or otherwise), makes good use of the hardware and is priced competitively (Metro Redux for example), I'll consider getting it on Switch because I know I'll eventually play it to completion and get a good time out of it. I don't need to go on YouTube and have something akin to Jim Bowen tell me "Let's have a look at what you couldda won!" when seeing Doom Eternal run at 4K/60 . If I ignore the other versions, is it still possible to enjoy the game on Switch? Am I missing out on what I don't know / care about? There are only so many hours in the day.

These people are constantly port begging and dreaming of thirdparty games on there Nintendo console, thats why every old game announced they are willing to pay 50$ when you can get it for 10-20$ on other consoles, you can't say they aren't interested XB/PS/PC when they get hard ons for every old thirdparty game announced. it's just simple brand loyalty. I was the same way but grew out of it eventually.

These people are constantly port begging and dreaming of thirdparty games on there Nintendo console, thats why every old game announced they are willing to pay 50$ when you can get it for 10-20$ on other consoles, you can't say they aren't interested XB/PS/PC when they get hard ons for every old thirdparty game announced. it's just simple brand loyalty. I was the same way but grew out of it eventually.
These people are usually spoilt bratx REEra types who moan about it constantly on Twitter. It's better to ignore them. A lot of Nintendo fans, particularly on this forum, are pretty grounded and stable. Every console brand has its crazies. While Nintendo probably have more, we can still have a rational discussion about the value of these ports. I think there is value in them, personally, but definitely side with the majority in this discussion on pricing. The real task is trying to convince the REEs and the kids to not let mommy drop $50 on a port, but they generally don't do common sense or market economics.
Paying full price for a port of an old game is stupid, regardless of the console it comes out on.

Orta

Banned
I'll double dip on the Switch version after buying it first for PC.

Anyone sharply criticising a portable version of a graphically state of the art game for not running at 60fps in full HD is clearly a fucking retard.

-Troid-

Banned
These people are usually spoilt bratx REEra types who moan about it constantly on Twitter. It's better to ignore them. A lot of Nintendo fans, particularly on this forum, are pretty grounded and stable. Every console brand has its crazies. While Nintendo probably have more, we can still have a rational discussion about the value of these ports. I think there is value in them, personally, but definitely side with the majority in this discussion on pricing. The real task is trying to convince the REEs and the kids to not let mommy drop $50 on a port, but they generally don't do common sense or market economics.
Paying full price for a port of an old game is stupid, regardless of the console it comes out on.

See we agree on this mostly. We just have different wants when it comes to 3rd party games and handheld vs console experience. I want my Nintendo exclusives, but also third party games that aren't compromised technically if they don't need to be. So I've been going Nintendo + Sony or Microsoft the last 2 gens. (When I was a kid I only had a Gamecube that I was grateful my mom bought for me). If you're cool with significantly downgraded 3rd party games that's fine; my criticisms were against those who want every game to be on Switch and act like they're the best versions. Personally if a game is 60fps on X1/PS4 but 25 on Switch I really rather have the former option. Really anyone being a blind fanboy is who I'm criticizing.

I also have to budget my gaming which is why I still have just a One S and WiiU. I'm saving up for a XSX or PS5, and I'll probably also get Switch whenever either Prime 4 or Bayo 3 releases (hopefully in a bundle). Until one of those games come out though I don't really need a Switch, and I only ever have time to play stuff whem I'm home, so the appeal of it being handheld is limited for me.

Mr Hyde

It's gonna be interesting to see how it looks. Love these "impossible" ports. It's like a giant fuck you to the butthurt haters who keeps shitting on the system even though they don't own it or are interested in it.

MiguelItUp

I think it's clear that Panic Button does an exceptional job with porting to Switch. Because of the Switch's limitations they're only able to do so much. But the fact they're able to do what they can with what they have is amazing IMO.

Preference is subjective, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Not every adult has time to sit at a PC or console for hours, so I can see why some prefer the Switch as it's something portable that can be played during lunch breaks, etc.

I'm sure the Switch port is going to look amazing for what it is, and that's it. I'm not sure why there's so much shit flinging in here, lmao. 🤔

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I don't know why anyone would buy this version. People are consistently "stunned" at the things they are able to put on it, but they are always the worst version of that game. Not every game needs to be on Switch.

I only play games on Switch these days, so for me it's a question of whether I play the game at all.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Bought Doom over the holidays late last year and I finally got around to playing it. The game's a goddamn masterpiece and I'm gonna be putting a pre-order in for Eternal before my GCU ends in a few days.

Hopefully we get a release date soon, but at least I won't have to make the hard decision between it and Animal Crossing come March 20th.

Doom 2016 did not control well on the Switch, the Joycons aren't very good for fast paced shooters. Everything felt like that Polygon journo gif

giphy.gif

I dunno man, I was playing the game night in split joycon mode with motion aiming at its maximum sensitivity and it reminds me of how great pointer-based shooters back in the Wii days were. Plus its super comfortable to boot.

Honest question - those of you with a switch, do you also have a pro controller?

Because the joycons are essentially useless for me, and even in portable mode I have to use the pro controller.

I may look at those hori controllers that are large and stick on the side? But no, even using the joycons in their holder, it’s utter dreadful for pretty much anything.

I considered buying a Switch Pro Controller quite often, and still do, but the Joy-Cons are just so comfortable that I can't see myself using a normal controller unless I'm forced into it.

If anything I'd probably buy that little adapter 8bitdo makes that would just let me use my existing Wii U Pro Controllers instead.

I don't know why anyone would buy this version. People are consistently "stunned" at the things they are able to put on it, but they are always the worst version of that game. Not every game needs to be on Switch.

It's quite simple, really.

I'd like to play Doom: Eternal.

I own a Nintendo Switch.

Doom: Eternal will be released on the Nintendo Switch.

I will play Doom: Eternal on my Nintendo Switch.

Last edited:

TexMex

It's quite simple, really.

I'd like to play Doom: Eternal.

I own a Nintendo Switch.

Doom: Eternal will be released on the Nintendo Switch.

I will play Doom: Eternal on my Nintendo Switch.

I'd like to play it too. I also own a Nintendo Switch.

I'll play the best (or at least a better) version of the game instead - especially considering that the price is the same. If you have options, and are going to be spending the same amount of money, making a conscious decision to pick the worst performing version of the game is something I can not wrap my head around.

Maybe you don't own any other way to play it, or maybe you absolutely have to play it while riding a bus. You do you.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'd like to play it too. I also own a Nintendo Switch.

I'll play the best (or at least a better) version of the game instead - especially considering that the price is the same. If you have options, and are going to be spending the same amount of money, making a conscious decision to pick the worst performing version of the game is something I can not wrap my head around.

Maybe you don't own any other way to play it, or maybe you absolutely have to play it while riding a bus. You do you.

Platforms Doom Eternal will be released on:
Playstation 4
Xbox One
PC
Nintendo Switch

Platforms I own of those options:
Nintendo Switch

So I can either play the Switch version or not play the game at all.

And judging by how much I'm enjoying Doom 2016, I'd very much like to play the game, so Switch version it is!

If you want to ship me a XBO, PS4, or capable gaming PC I'll gladly purchase a copy on any of those platforms instead, but as it is I don't see the need to drop $250 just to play Doom in a manner that you deem worthy.

Last edited:

TexMex

Playstation 4
Xbox One
PC
Nintendo Switch

Nintendo Switch

And judging by how much I'm enjoying Doom 2016, I'd very much like to play the game, so Switch version it is!

If you want to ship me a XBO, PS4, or capable gaming PC I'll gladly purchase a copy on any of those platforms instead, but as it is I don't see the need to drop $250 just to play Doom in a manner that you deem worthy.

which I have said, including in my last post that it would make sense if the switch is your only console. I’m not trying to be condescending in the slightest, so I’m not sure why you feel the need to double down on the snark, but it’s a great look!

Playstation 4
Xbox One
PC
Nintendo Switch

Nintendo Switch

you can get a OG xbox one for 100$ on gamestop refurbished, they are built like tanks, so you won't have a problem. if you don't care about graphics or performance, switch is fine.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
which I have said, including in my last post that it would make sense if the switch is your only console. I’m not trying to be condescending in the slightest, so I’m not sure why you feel the need to double down on the snark, but it’s a great look!

Just trying to be as clear as possible, as I read a lot of "Why would anyone want to play this on the Switch?" responses; no snark intended.

KINGMOKU

Only way to play it in ultimate comfort.

Anywhere I want.

Got a PC. Got a one X. Buying on switch.

Still disappointed the new x series isn't a hybrid. Missed opportunity by Microsoft.

boo

Gold Member
I guess I could play the latest Doom on my PC. But I use PC for work. When I want to play a game, I do that on Nintendo hardware. Why? PC for work, Nintendo for play. I use this thing for this, that thing for that. That is just how I prefer it.

As for power, I can play games spanning decades, games made for hardware with only the fraction of the power of my Switch. I just don’t think power is that important. Not anymore. Maybe when we went from 8-bit to 16-bit on home computers in the eighties. But nowadays, can’t be bothered.

For me, we entered Science Fiction territory with regards to hardware years ago when Apple released the iPad. And now I have my Switch. The only thing left now are the flying cars.

Top Bottom