• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'd prefer PS5 to release in 2021.

CJY

Banned
And permanently drop the price of PS4 down to $199. Maybe with a super slim version.

Specs probably won't change much/at all even with a delay, but ya never know.

This is the first gen where Sony don't need to rely upon third-parties at all for launch games (they'll be there anyway). There's always a dearth of quality games in the first year of a PlayStation console. Maybe with a delay into 2021, this can be avoided.

PS5 might get delayed anyway regardless of what I want. Just saying I'd probably be OK with it.

jakinov

I'm likely to delay my purchase until 2021 anyway even if it releases this year.
I don't think they care, I think the expectations is to grow their install base over time not all at the start. Waiting a year is another year sitting on a product that you aren't making money off of. Releasing early they can at least get feedback, and cash that they can then reinvest in other endeavors, ride off the momentum and look better to investors while doing it.

-Troid-

Banned
Since you didn't specify the XSX also, wouldn't that give Microsoft a year start? 😁

The last time that happened didn't work out for Sony too well.

Dev1lXYZ

Let it release in 2021 when there will be a better selection of games to choose from. No first quarter first party release games interest me anyway. Let Xbox have 2020.

Skyr

source.gif

Your schedule doesn't correlate with mine. Sorry, nope. Got to make it 2020.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

I always wait 6 months to 1 year to jump to next gen, since the first batch of consoles have always had a few issues with the OS or something at launch and when those are ironed out I will buy it, if the system is delayed to march It will be ok, but I am very tempted to jump to next gen day one. If the demos and trailers Sony releases on the PS5 unveiling are awesome, I will jump day one.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Since you didn't specify the XSX also, wouldn't that give Microsoft a year start? 😁

The last time that happened didn't work out for Sony too well.
That wasnt the issue. The issue was the ps3 was overpriced, had no good launch games and inferior ports.

in the end they ended up benefitting with the second best selling system last gen behind the wii.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Don't worry. It is definitely going to miss 2020 entirely, 2021 release for sure.

Last edited:

-Troid-

Banned
That wasnt the issue. The issue was the ps3 was overpriced, had no good launch games and inferior ports.

in the end they ended up benefitting with the second best selling system last gen behind the wii.

I was just kidding around.

I firmly believe the PS5 will have thirteen TF. However, if not launching for a year or two could increase this number two or three TF, I'd be glad for the console to be delayed. Just imagine a PS5 with sixteen TF and RDNA3 and Zen3.

Handy Fake

And permanently drop the price of PS4 down to $199. Maybe with a super slim version.

This is the first gen where Sony don't need to rely upon third-parties at all for launch games (they'll be there anyway). There's always a dearth of quality games in the first year of a PlayStation console. Maybe with a delay into 2021, this can be avoided.

PS5 might get delayed anyway regardless of what I want. Just saying I'd probably be OK with it.
giphy.gif

McHuj

I said it should have been 2019.

If somehow it gets delayed due to the virus and economic meltdowns, I think the opening for Stadia to grow is there.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I think its naive to think its still launching in 2020. This virus shutting that shit way down.

I'm likely to delay my purchase until 2021 anyway even if it releases this year.
Same here, my only concern is my OG ps4 is old and sounds like a plane taking off with that fan. And the heat it produces. It raises the temperature of the room at least 5 degrees when it's busy. Don't know how much she can take. I'm babying her until ps5 have thousands of dollars worth of psn content on there (psn games and ps+ content) so don't want to replace until ps5 drops. So I mostly use switch and play ps4 sparingly.

Now if Sony doesn't do bc with ps4, then I would be pissed as it would eventually require a new ps4 purchase.

I would like 2020, if possible, but these things are not in any of our control.

Last edited:
This is the second gen in a row that has been dragging on, so 2020 please.
How so. There is no set in stone Gen time Frame. Just because early gens were shorter doesn't mean they have to be now. Back then there was reason as tech differences were huge. Going from 4bit to 8 to 16 raised color and pixel sizes with memory. The jump to 32bit and 3d rendering along with CD storage with ps1 and voodoo gfx cards on pc was a huge milestone and game changer. Going to 128bit ps2 with better 3d and dvd, then again to ps360 with HD resolution and multiplayer,. This Gen to next isn't that big a jump. Oh wow we get a bump in resolution (if you have a TV to support it), which isn't as noticeable as going from sub 640x480 to 720p wide-screen was. Even 720 to 1080p was noticeable. 4k I could care less. 1080p is still fine. Sure could help devs with more ram but games still look amazing. A few extra months don't think will matter.

Psykodad

Banned
How so. There is no set in stone Gen time Frame. Just because early gens were shorter doesn't mean they have to be now. Back then there was reason as tech differences were huge. Going from 4bit to 8 to 16 raised color and pixel sizes with memory. The jump to 32bit and 3d rendering along with CD storage with ps1 and voodoo gfx cards on pc was a huge milestone and game changer. Going to 128bit ps2 with better 3d and dvd, then again to ps360 with HD resolution and multiplayer,. This Gen to next isn't that big a jump. Oh wow we get a bump in resolution (if you have a TV to support it), which isn't as noticeable as going from sub 640x480 to 720p wide-screen was. Even 720 to 1080p was noticeable. 4k I could care less. 1080p is still fine. Sure could help devs with more ram but games still look amazing. A few extra months don't think will matter.
Because it's how I feel. No long explanation needed.
And if it gets delayed to 2021, so be it. Not the end of the world either.

ChrisB

2021 with 14 TFLOPs sure, else drop it in 2020.

Dropping the PS4 and making the PS4 Pro 250.00 would boost some sales too I'd imagine.

thelastword

Banned
Maybe until Sony shows these shiny new IP's and graphics......I think they will be able to do some really impressive physics and A.I on launch day, so I think will be really impressed when they reveal PS5 launch games....or what's in the works.....

giphy.gif

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I'd be ok with it too honestly. I'm in no rush especially considering the world's situation.

I'd prefer this year but I'd be ok waiting.

Mr Hyde

Unless Sony comes right out of the gate with either Demon's Souls remake or BB 2, and full BC for PS1 to PS4, I am in no need to upgrade to a PS5. I will probably wait a couple of years until the good games arrive. I got a backlog that lasts me to 2024.

Top Bottom