• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i wish we could get some games with complex stories like Tenet , inception , dune

Xenogears has the incredible gift of being mostly free of the most cringey Japanese tropes and managing to be actually, undisputably adult in some key moments.

It’s easy to point out the mishmash of western religious themes and laugh at almost inevitable characters like Maria and Chu-Chu, but you don’t need to look that far beyond those to see some amazingly solid dialogue and characters. Citan is one of the best video game characters ever written. The game develops its themes in a very realistic way, despite being pure fantasy. Xenogears is leagues better than the work it clearly homages - Evangelion wishes it was as accomplished and comprehensible as Xenogears, and it’s only because the two works belong to such different mediums that Evangelion made it into legend while XG is today a relatively unknown cult game. I’ve never seen another game try the same without inevitably falling foul of anime tropes, excessively convoluted telling, and bad dialogue and design; Chrono Cross probably flew almost as high, but it doesn’t cut as deep. God bless the incomparable freedom devs had at the time.
Street Fighter Handshake GIF

Couldn't have said it better myself. And to top it all off, it delivers one of the most truly psychedelic endings and beautiful ending songs I've ever experienced in a video game. *cheers to Xenogears*

If no one said it yet, you might like the Nier series. The story is a bit mind bending.
Plotting The Simpsons GIF

Lol, just a bit mind bending. But yes, absolutely the Nier games; the series plays with the ideas of creation, consciousness, timelines, and the soul while delivering top quality action gameplay, art, and music.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Its a double edged sword, the deeper and more complex the narrative, the more constraints and lack of options that are put on the gameplay/player choice. I can enjoy linear story driven games, but only so much. Once they become a simple A to B corridor runner, they've lost my interest (I'm looking at you FFXIII). There has to be a balance between an open narrative capable of supporting character choice and immersive gameplay vs a high quality well weaved narrative that requires an exact order of events to happen.

Top Bottom