• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wish Sony waited until 2022 to release the PS5 and it was more powerful

Zeroing

Banned
clearly Moore's law has been cancelled and NFT con men are hoarding all the chips so nextgen and the future of mankind are at a crossroads
Contrary to most people here… I just want games. I’m a simple gamer with basics needs 😆

New hardware is exciting but some people seem to take that to the extreme!

in the world of tech if you're always waiting on the next best thing you'll be waiting forever. if you buy something new you just have to accept that something better will soon be along to replace it. sure Sony could've waited a bit longer and maybe made a more powerful console but really what difference would it make? why not wait until 2023 and make it even more powerful? why not wait until 2024? 2025? 2026? see what i mean? you could wait forever and not release anything at all. you can not be hesitant when it comes to tech. you just need to pick something you want to go for and then go get it.

for example, for years I wanted to buy a new iPhone. every year when Apple announced the new iPhone i hesitated and thought I'll just wait for the next one cause that'll be better! This started around 2017 and eventually in 2020 i thought fuck it i'm not waiting another year I'm getting the iPhone 12! I've had this phone for 7 months and guess what? in a few months it'll be replaced by a better iPhone model. my phone won't be the best anymore but i don't care. i'll give myself a heart attack if i am constantly worrying about the next best thing. i could've waited to this year for the new iPhone but i just got a phone i needed at the time and i'm happy with it.

Neo Blaster

Looks like the OP has a grudge on crossgen games, not power. Can we at least wait till we get more next gen only titles before judging what these consoles can do?

FUBARx89

Eh. I'm pleased with the PS5 power 🤷‍♂️

It doesn't have to be the most powerful console blah blah blah to be a good machine.

Besides, waiting another year wouldn't of done much for their market share against MS. Look at the PS3 launch in EU, months behind and took alot of time for them to catch up.

MastaKiiLA

If PS5 came out in 2022, then you'd just be playing cross-gen games next year. Games are cross gen because the previous generation of consoles has a 5-10x head start in userbase. Why spend money on a big budget game that has to be a success on the PS5 to recoup the investment, when you can also release it on the older system, to reduce risk? Cross gen has nothing to do with when the console is released. It has to do with userbase sizes and the implied risks of game development for the respective userbase sizes.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
As soon as technology leaves the store it’s outdated, there’s a PS6, 7, 8 and 9 in development for example. I actually would have released the PS5 in 2018 when the PS4 Pro came out.

Sejan

....but Sony released 4 PS5 exclusives....there are no last gen counterparts for them.....and one more coming next week....

If both Sony and MS were in MS's shoes with no next gen exclusives, I could understand. But Sony isnt, no matter how some ppl want them to be.

When Rift Apart comes out we will just see if they made a mistake.
I’m not saying that PS5 should have waited for 2022. That’s just crazy, but a spring launch with Returnal and Ratchet and Clank headlining could have potentially been a better option.

MS really has nothing as far as exclusives go. Their only option is to lean into game pass and hype their superior backwards comparability. I appreciate the idea of backwards comparability more than the average consumer, but even I have to acknowledge that pushing backwards comparability as your killer app suggests a really weak hand overall. MS should have never allowed Series X to launch without something a little more compelling. Obviously they couldn’t delay the system when Halo was announced as delayed, but it never should have been allowed to get to that point. MS has historically struggled managing their first party studios effectively.

BabyYoda

Banned
I think Microsoft should've waited another year, they clearly weren't ready, their GDK still isn't up to snuff (but getting better all the time) and they could've added full on RT support and a DLSS 2.1 equivalent (rather than the pared down support of both, they are still stronger than what's in the PS5 :p), also had actual games to play on the system, lastly they could've maybe innovated on their controller based on what Sony was doing, but NOOOOOOOOO!!

it's a really impressive system, can't see any reason for complaints other than a slow start software-wise (but that's every gen).

ZywyPL

Banned
Not much would've chang other than a very slim chance of getting Zen3 CPU. The process node is already 7nm, RAM prices are what they are so no chance for 24GB or G6X type of memory, GPU is already RDNA2 with no sight of RDNA3 on the horizon, and given the console's heatsink is already huge and uses liquid metal there's no chance they could pack any more power anyway.

But I do feel that delaying PS5 (and XSX for the matter) to 2021 would allow for a way more matured launch, with better OS/FW features (VRR, SSD expansion slot, Dolby Atmos/Vision), better engines/dev tools (UE5), and more importantly - more games.

hyperbertha

Delaying either system could have lead to more powerful systems.

I really don't get the point of this thread.

If your constantly worried about specs then PC is the way to go.
I think he's arguing that making so many early games cross gen kinda beat the purpose of releasing it right now.

At best the rumors were 10-14TF RDNA flops, and the people guessing 14TF were laughed at mostly.
RDNA 2 came out of no where and reaching parity with nvidia caught everyone by surprise.

Just weird that 8TFs and no RT was rumored for the PS5. Heck not to mention the system was supposed to be broken. Looking at the rumors it seems like the Xbox rumors were closer to the real thing than the playstation ones.

ps3 wasn't, so no easy and cheap cross-gen between ps3/ps4.

Good point I never thought of that. Today's consoles are more similar to PCs than something like the PS3 or Xbox 360. I'm guessing making a PS4 port of a PS5 game is similar to developing a game on PC.

So you're saying Sony should've phased out the base PS4 (and Microsoft the One S), and made the PS4 Pro (and Microsoft the One X) the new baseline systems for a couple of years and release PS5 and Series X in 2022 with Zen 4/RDNA 3 instead?

That's...an interesting idea. Maybe it could've actually worked, but it wouldn't meant they'd KNOWN that COVID was going to screw everything up in 2020 for all sectors of gaming. Without that assuredness, they could've ran the risk of a wide net of gamers moving to PC (though they'd likely pick up a new console anyway) or Nintendo eating further into their lunch; even in 2020 there were strong rumors of a Switch Pro going around and would Sony/Microsoft be okay with a new Nintendo system in 2021 coming out essentially matching their mid-gen refreshes, with more advanced features, at that, and having another benefit of portable gaming on top?

In the end I think they both did the more sensible option and released in 2020. 2022 PS5/Series X/S would definitely be cheaper to manufacture on 7nm, but we'd also be looking at 2029/2030 for 10th-gen, and by then there might not be traditional consoles as we know them.

PUNKem733

All sony had to do was wait until 2033, and AMD would have put DLSS into the PS5. Man what were sony thinking?! ROFL

Top Bottom