• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I will play Crackdown 3

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Game pass has plenty of advantages, one of them getting games to play you are usually not interested in so the possibility in picking up a hidden gem is high. So I played and finished the first Crackdown. At first, I couldn't get into it, I thought the controls are weird I didn't like how it was dependent on using a lock on system. After a while I really appreciated it though. It's the perfect game to play after a long day. The shooting is fun and playing it on a high difficulty will make you use the game's mechanics to the max. It's mindless fun. I also played the second one, but I didn't finish it, mechanics seemed worse and having zombies made it so much less interesting to me, so I stopped. Now I am trying out Crackdown 3 and first I gonna say it feels more like the first one which is a plus in my opinion. The graphics aren't really good. I like that they are stylized, but having that amount of pop up in comparatively small world is just a no go. So far it's not a terrible game though. I will post my thoughts regularly in this thread.

What are your thoughts on this game and the series?

Last edited by a moderator:

Birdo

Banned
I haven't played 3, but the first one is in my top 20 of all time. It was open-world dopamine perfection.

I imagine 3 is okay and perfectly playable. We all know how the internet can overreact.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It was forgettable fun. Worth playing IMO. I tried 2 recently and it was garbage.

Last edited:

Bridges

Well I actually did play Crackdown 3 and I loved it. It's just a really solid game, nothing revolutionary but if you like Crackdown 1 this is pretty much what Crackdown 2 should've been. Only huge negative for was the driving, the cars control terribly, got all the achievements except the one for completing all the races.

I think people were really just ready to shit on this without giving it an honest chance when in reality it turned out way better than anyone expected it too.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
1 and 3 are fun and enjoyable. Come at me

tenor.gif

Roberts

Didn't play lol
No but seriously everything I saw in reviews looked very dull

Then don't say it is shit, because you have no way of knowing if it is.

It is not great, because it is a bit repetitive and driving was garbage, but I actually completed it (something I can't say about many other more prestigious open world games) mostly because it is so mindlessly silly. From 2020 perspective, it is better than first two games, because everything - graphics, controls just feel more right.

Last edited by a moderator:

tryDEATH

If you approach the game as a mindless fun game, which is what the series is all about you will enjoy it. Silly fun is the primary objective of this game and that it delivers, you're not getting some incredible deep game that has a steep learning curve, nor do you have to be emotionally invested into the story to enjoy the game. Hoop on collect some orbs while traversing the world aimlessly while chatting with some friends in a party and in no time you will accumulate a bunch of played hours and achievements.

Banned
it's not a very good game but I loved it and finished it with lot's of side stuff done too.

BUT I played it on PC at 60fps and mouse/keyboard controls.
I tried it on One X but the 30fps and their really weird controller layout made it unplayable for me

wipeout364

If you played one and wanted more it was fun. It was in development way too long though for what we ended up with. It felt mechanically ok but uninspired. It was way better than 2 though which was very poor.

Last edited:
I enjoyed 3 more than a lot of other games praised on here. I think most of the negative rhetoric around it is from people that have either not played it or don't even own an xbox. The beauty of gamepass.. only loss if you dislike a game is time.

LordCBH

I don’t think it’s all together horrible. But MAN I was so disappointed by it. Ugly as hell, mediocre gameplay. A big letdown for me as I absolutely loved the first one and thought number 2 was ok.

BizarroPete

It was repetitive and had the tiniest bit of story that I can't remember but it was simple mindless fun and got better as I leveled up. It was something I could play for short spurts or long periods.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I immediately turned on Keys to the City and went ham. I didn't even bother with leveling. I enjoyed it that way. The game on its own merits is weak.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I had a lot of fun with the game. It's really underrated in my opinion, like several MS exclusives. The moment to moment gameplay it's addictive once you upgrade mobility enough.

It’s a fun game. There are good platforming bits, and the open ended design makes the boss fights more interesting. For example you have a boss mission where you have to climb through floors of this tower. There can be gas that makes it hard to see and slows you down, or if you take out the guy who oversees the mines, the mining operations are shut down and there’s no gas. Any fight near a train line will have the AI that controls it send cars of bots and lasers at you, or you can destroy that AI and that doesn’t happen.

The core game design though is just average at best. Gunplay is average. Melee combat is average. The appeal is making the biggest explosions and finding the most insane ways to destroy bad guys. Also powering up your agent to maximize abilities.

MP is doodoo. 6/10

MarkMe2525

Had fun leveling up to jump around like a crazy person. They didn't really explore anything new with this, just more crackdown. Had fun for a couple days with it.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Didn't play lol
No but seriously everything I saw in reviews looked very dull

Maybe you shouldn't make a statement like you just did then?
I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people saying it's shit are like you, didn't play it.

Irony of it all is that it's superior to Crackdown 3 in pretty much every way. Is it an innovative game? Not at all. It plays things very safe, but it tightens things up, adds cool features and weapons, and provides a fast paced and very entertaining experience.

I played Crackdown 1 and 3 back to back, and I had far more fun with 3.

Grinchy

Banned
I thought it was ok. I had fun with it overall, but it is definitely lacking in a lot of ways. It was also frustrating that I played it before the major patches came in. So, on Hard, the final boss was basically impossible. I had to turn the difficulty down just to beat the game, and then they patched it to fix it.

Also, the voice acting could be really grating. The Indian or Paki or wherever she's from lady whose lines get repeated 1,000 times was a bad choice. "Go clear out dat doxic bipeline!" "Look out! Incoming gilling matcheens." By the 437th time you've heard these lines, you want it to fucking end.

Greeno

The game felt like a massive downgrade to what was promised. I just couldn't continue playing it after trying it out on GamePass.

This is what was promised early on when development was under David Jones and his team (Reagent Games):

The moment Cloudgine was sold to Epic and Reagent Games were shut down, Microsoft should have cancelled this project. It is clear that something went terribly wrong. Shifting development to Sumo Digital was a really bad decision in my opinion.

Barakov

Gold Member
The game felt like a massive downgrade to what was promised. I just couldn't continue playing it after trying it out on GamePass.

This is what was promised early on when development was under David Jones and his team (Reagent Games):

The moment Cloudgine was sold to Epic and Reagent Games were shut down, Microsoft should have cancelled this project. It is clear that something went terribly wrong. Shifting development to Sumo Digital was a really bad decision in my opinion.

Oh, for sure. I think MS needed to get this out to end the Matrrick era of Xbox and to make sure people stopped asking about it. Then again canceling it would've been a better move.

Spaceman292

Banned
Then don't say it is shit, because you have no way of knowing if it is.

It is not great, because it is a bit repetitive and driving was garbage, but I actually completed it (something I can't say about many other more prestigious open world games) mostly because it is so mindlessly silly. From 2020 perspective, it is better than first two games, because everything - graphics, controls just feel more right.
Sounds like you're agreeing with me bro

nemiroff

Gold Member
There are a lot of good and entertaining things about the game, I had fun completing it. The thing which is disappointing with it is that it has so much untapped potential. It could've came out swinging with big guns but it didn't, it felt like game that wanted to be a lot bigger and AAA than it ended up being.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The point of Gamepass is to play the good games that are available on the service.

This isn't one of them.
I mean, I don't got Gamepass for Crackdown 3, just wanna try it out because I like mindless games with a lot of boom boom and enjoyed the first one. I am also a huge fan of Just Cause 2 and 3 for this reason. Just give me a cool sandbox with cool mechanics without interrupting my game flow every few seconds and I am good to go.

Pantz

Crackdown 3 was good in a Dreamcast game kind of way.

What system are you playing it on? I though the graphics looked nice on the One X in 4K HDR.

GHG

I mean, I don't got Gamepass for Crackdown 3, just wanna try it out because I like mindless games with a lot of boom boom and enjoyed the first one. I am also a huge fan of Just Cause 2 and 3 for this reason. Just give me a cool sandbox with cool mechanics without interrupting my game flow every few seconds and I am good to go.

Shadow Warrior 2.

Other than that Rage 2 is ok and sunset overdrive might also scratch that itch to a lesser extent (although I'm not too fond of Sunset due to the tone).

Top Bottom