• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I went out shopping and came home with a Series X

Robb

Gold Member
Will google this trick, I just saw 1 month for 1 dollar then 16.99 after that .. the trick is.. 1 dollar for 3 months??
I don’t remember all the details. But essentially you can purchase 36 months of Xbox Live Gold and convert all of those months to a GamePass Ultimate subscription for an additional $1.

So you’re pretty much getting 3-years of GamePass for the price of 2 full price games.

Iced Arcade

Welcome Represent.

Slip into a green snuggie and sit over here with me and get your gamepass on.
bear sitting GIF

now don't do that cringy come back and make a tread about "what I don't like" in a couple weeks.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Wasn't planning on buying 2 consoles this gen, I never do, but I was bored as hell and went for a drive, stopped at the mall, Game Stop, to my shock, had a bunch of Series Xs in stock just able to walk in and buy. Got a Series X to go along with the PS5.

First Xbox console since the 360.

Needless to say I've missed a shit ton of exclusives.

I did love Gears 1-3 though. Is Gears 4/5 any good? Thinking those will be the first games I play.

I got Halo Infinite with it, never really been a Halo guy but I do remember enjoying Halo 3 SP as well as CE MP.
Is Forza Horizon 5 any good?

ALSO: How does backwards compatibility work? Can I download SSX 3/Ninja Gaiden 2 from the Xbox Store and play it, or do I have to have the disc?

I no longer care if COD is exclusive, bring on MW2 :messenger_smirking::messenger_tears_of_joy:

If you do have Game Pass, trial or otherwise, try The Ascent. Such a fun and under-rated game, with nonsensical critic scores. It was my GotY before Halo and Forza came out.

NinjaBoiX

It still works. You just need no game pass sub active. Load up gold. Pay $15. Done
It’s weird that this trick still works. Surely MS knows about it? It’s not even like you have to do anything underhand, I bet a load of people that aren’t even privy to this info just do it by accident.

I think someone in an MS office somewhere is getting a big bumper bonus for active GP users and are just letting it continue.

MS are burning money this gen to try and gain the upper hand…

NinjaBoiX

So just to be 100% clear so I don’t fuck it up:

- buy 3 years worth of Gold from CDKeys or similar (I’d have to get 3 x 12 month subs, as I understand it you can only stack three years?)
- then upgrade to GP Ultimate through the official dashboard on the console
- then I’ll have all three years of Gold turn into three years of GPU?

I’ll be doing it this weekend.
Because it's not a trick, they literally spell it out in the terms; so yeah MS knows full well "about it".
Mad, they’re really after that audience share!

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
So just to be 100% clear so I don’t fuck it up:

- buy 3 years worth of Gold from CDKeys or similar (I’d have to get 3 x 12 month subs, as I understand it you can only stack three years?)
- then upgrade to GP Ultimate through the official dashboard on the console
- then I’ll have all three years of Gold turn into three years of GPU?

I’ll be doing it this weekend.

Mad, they’re really after that audience share!
You got it right, don’t use the extra months they offer you if you turn on recurring billing. GPU has a max of 36 months and if you use those extra offers you will have to wait 3 months to upgrade to GPU.

Just say no to them as you enter each Gold code.

Batiman

Banned
If you do have Game Pass, trial or otherwise, try The Ascent. Such a fun and under-rated game, with nonsensical critic scores. It was my GotY before Halo and Forza came out.
Why does no one talk about this game? How come I didn’t know what this was until the other day? I thought it was another tactical rpg for some reason. As soon as I heard it was couch co op twin stick I started it out with my son. This game is awesome. Looks beautiful on the XSX and loving it so far. Just started really

NinjaBoiX

You got it right, don’t use the extra months they offer you if you turn on recurring billing. GPU has a max of 36 months and if you use those extra offers you will have to wait 3 months to upgrade to GPU.

Just say no to them as you enter each Gold code.
Nice one, thanks.

Clover904

Wasn't planning on buying 2 consoles this gen, I never do, but I was bored as hell and went for a drive, stopped at the mall, Game Stop, to my shock, had a bunch of Series Xs in stock just able to walk in and buy. Got a Series X to go along with the PS5.

I think I may be purchasing a Series X before long. Psychonauts, Halo and Forza look fun. Cannot wait to see more of Avowed and Fable.

Starfield looks like it’ll be the game that finally make me buy Xbox again.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Why does no one talk about this game? How come I didn’t know what this was until the other day? I thought it was another tactical rpg for some reason. As soon as I heard it was couch co op twin stick I started it out with my son. This game is awesome. Looks beautiful on the XSX and loving it so far. Just started really
I told everyone its my GOTY until I was blue in the face. The most underrated game of the last several years. Robbed critically.

Warablo

Is the convert gold to ultimate for one dollar a one time thing and for people not having GP before?
I haven't tried it myself but I heard if you done the trial before, you gotta wait until your gold lapses then stock up on 3 years, then pay for 1 month of game pass ultimate, and it should convert the whole thing to 3 years.

Download Gears 5 / Halo Infinite for some GOAT tier multiplayer action.

Take your time with any MS games to learn the nuances and you will be rewarded.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Enjoy! The best way to game is to own all the platforms if the budget allows, then you actually get all of the good games instead of just pretending the one console you bought has all the good games. 😉

anthony2690

Banned
It’s weird that this trick still works. Surely MS knows about it? It’s not even like you have to do anything underhand, I bet a load of people that aren’t even privy to this info just do it by accident.

I think someone in an MS office somewhere is getting a big bumper bonus for active GP users and are just letting it continue.

MS are burning money this gen to try and gain the upper hand…
I can imagine they see it as, it's more money than they would get otherwise from this individual who might not sub otherwise.

They still get payment for 3 years gold + the 1 month game pass fee for £11/$15

Plus it means that person is locked into the eco system for the next 3 years too.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I can imagine they see it as, it's more money than they would get otherwise from this individual who might not sub otherwise.

They still get payment for 3 years gold + the 1 month game pass fee for £11/$15

Plus it means that person is locked into the eco system for the next 3 years too.
It will likely be there on some level as long as Gold exists. There has to be a conversion of some kind to upsell people.

spookyfish

Oh man. That’s really cool! I miss the days of just walking in and buying a system. I remember stopping at a K-mart on OG Xbox launch day. They actually had one—without a bundle. So, came home with an Xbox on launch day, which I hadn’t planned on.

Enjoy it.

Reactions: Isa

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Gamepass is a must - and don‘t forget you have to activate 60 fps back-compatible games in the settings first. And perhaps disable auto HDR along the way, it‘s terrible.

Soosa

Banned

I did love Gears 1-3 though. Is Gears 4/5 any good? Thinking those will be the first games I play.

I got Halo Infinite with it, never really been a Halo guy but I do remember enjoying Halo 3 SP as well as CE MP.
Is Forza Horizon 5 any good?

ALSO: How does backwards compatibility work? Can I download SSX 3/Ninja Gaiden 2 from the Xbox Store and play it, or do I have to have the disc?

I no longer care if COD is exclusive, bring on MW2 :messenger_smirking::messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm in quite similar situation.

On december our stores started to have stock for series x (S have been available since the launch, but it is poop because of no disc drive), so I bought one also because of boredom and curiosity.

I also have PS5. I also didnt own xbox one. I have OG+360, but never used them much.

I didnt like gears 1-3 at all, but started gears 5 and it seems to be pretty interesting so far. Kind of surprising as I just downloaded it to see the graphics, but the game is better than I thought.

Halo infinite is bit boring to me, but I dont play much of FPS games.

Forza horizon 5 is boring too, but I dont play much of racing games. Still nice to play on short sessions, and probably great for racing fans.

Back wards compatibility was bit disapointing, as most of my XBOX OG games wont work, but not a big deal. Still would be nice to able to play at least same games as on 360.

I liked flight simulator, nice to fly around and check different places.

Alien: fireteam is OK coop shooter

Ori games seem to be nice

best thing about this is the game pass with "upgrade trick", I got mine by buying 3 years of gold from some random store + upgrading it to game pass ultimate for 1€, total cost about 93€.

GPU offers lot of old and new games, so it is nice thing to have for someone whom skipped most of xbox games so far.

Hinedorf

Banned
I think it's a reality I'll be getting an Series X at some point versus touching Sony this generation. Would say my PS4 sounded like a jet engine so curious what the comparisons would be on new MS console.

Wizz-Art

I think it's a reality I'll be getting an Series X at some point versus touching Sony this generation. Would say my PS4 sounded like a jet engine so curious what the comparisons would be on new MS console.
You won't hear it at all. None of my Xbox's (Xbox One, Xbox One S, 2x Xbox One X and XSX) does make a sound, to me that's straight up one of the biggest things Xbox genuinely has going for it imho.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm in quite similar situation.

On december our stores started to have stock for series x (S have been available since the launch, but it is poop because of no disc drive), so I bought one also because of boredom and curiosity.

I also have PS5. I also didnt own xbox one. I have OG+360, but never used them much.

I didnt like gears 1-3 at all, but started gears 5 and it seems to be pretty interesting so far. Kind of surprising as I just downloaded it to see the graphics, but the game is better than I thought.

Halo infinite is bit boring to me, but I dont play much of FPS games.

Forza horizon 5 is boring too, but I dont play much of racing games. Still nice to play on short sessions, and probably great for racing fans.

Back wards compatibility was bit disapointing, as most of my XBOX OG games wont work, but not a big deal. Still would be nice to able to play at least same games as on 360.

I liked flight simulator, nice to fly around and check different places.

Alien: fireteam is OK coop shooter

Ori games seem to be nice

best thing about this is the game pass with "upgrade trick", I got mine by buying 3 years of gold from some random store + upgrading it to game pass ultimate for 1€, total cost about 93€.

GPU offers lot of old and new games, so it is nice thing to have for someone whom skipped most of xbox games so far.

At first I thought this was an anti xbox post then after reading it all I realized you basically don't like video games anymore. 😉

Cherrypepsi

I had a similar situation, I was just browsing the web and found that gamestop had series x in stock, I put one in my cart and checked out. And I was still believing that I just made some kind of pre order. Next day it shipped. 😅

I played a lot on it in these 3 weeks.

And because I only had a Playstation since 2007, I had a lot to catch up.

Top Bottom